IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Syagrus santosii rare river syagrus

Bananengeknl

Hi all,

anyone who growing this special syagrus santosii top? I imported a lot seeds from brasil. I have now 1-2 years old plants.

Gilian -Gilianplants 

079FFA04-6034-4CBF-A93E-95FCC1334703.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

You're probably one of a.very few growing this one.  RPS has seed but dang those are pricey!!!!  Keep this thread updated as they grow if you plan on keeping a couple in your collection.

I believe a handful of growers in CA tried these seeds when they were first made available. I don't know if any have survived. 

• 7 months later...
On 3/19/2022 at 11:47 PM, Bananengeknl said:

Hi all,

anyone who growing this special syagrus santosii top? I imported a lot seeds from brasil. I have now 1-2 years old plants.

Gilian -Gilianplants 

079FFA04-6034-4CBF-A93E-95FCC1334703.jpeg

Hello,

may I ask you how you germinated these seeds, and what the germination rate was? I have a handful of S. santosi seeds that have been sitting in warm, damp moss for several months now and they haven't done anything. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or they're just bad seeds, but my default assumption is always the former.

Also, on an unrelated note, I see you have listed on eBay what you describe as Kerriodoxa elegans aurea. I have a K. elegans seedling that looks just like that; I assumed it was due to a deficiency of something. Do you think it's a genetic sport? Have you seen other examples of very pale Keriodoxas in the seeds you have germinated? I have been wondering for a while why my seedling was so pale and how I could fix it, but if it's a lusus naturae that's always going to look that way and will survive, then that's very good news.