IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

9b+ Central Florida new Planting

Reeverse

Stoked to get this big guy in the ground! We’re in a super warm area near the coast under high oak canopy. 

18B04DB7-EA37-49EC-8945-84B05A9823DA.jpeg

• Like 17

That’s a great head start!   Love that deep green crown shaft.  I’ve got three 4 footers in the ground, and they are slow pokes so far.  Looking forward to them putting on some size. 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2022 at 4:51 PM, CodyORB said:

Stunning Satakentia!

It’s tagged as a Kentiopsis Oliviformis.

49 minutes ago, Johnny Palmseed said:

It’s tagged as a Kentiopsis Oliviformis.

Whoops, that is a nice purple crownshaft then!

On 3/19/2022 at 1:00 PM, Reeverse said:

Stoked to get this big guy in the ground! We’re in a super warm area near the coast under high oak canopy. 

18B04DB7-EA37-49EC-8945-84B05A9823DA.jpeg

Gorgeous! They are now Chambeyronia oliviformis in case you hadn’t heard yet. :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

On 3/19/2022 at 4:35 PM, Johnny Palmseed said:

That’s a nice looking example. Have you had it long?

No I purchased it a few months ago but hadn’t had the time to get the hole dug. Landscaping never slowed down for us like it usually does. 

On 3/20/2022 at 8:30 PM, Jim in Los Altos said:

Gorgeous! They are now Chambeyronia oliviformis in case you hadn’t heard yet. :)

Thanks!! Yes I have a hard time trying to train my brain to rename them. Can definitely see why they put them in the Chamberyonia family when they’re in close proximity. 

• Upvote 1

These palms are frost tender.  My (3) 22-25'+ Oliviformis took a little bit of leaf tip burn on upper leaves in our recent 34F plus frost.   They also burned in 2018 at 30F but that was a total crown burn, this time was just tips of upper leaves that burned. They have no overhead canopy and seemed a bit more leaf tender than the archontophoenix alexandre (triple) which didnt get visible burn.   I do note that I had a small one in 2010 @ 28F plus frost that the spear survived intact while nearby royals and foxtails were killd outright.  My tendency of planting archies densely may be the reason they had no burn, I bunch them more than the Ollie's since the ollies have longer, more rigid leaves and leaflets.  I was pretty surprised that I had frost burn at 20-27'+ height, very strange.   Most lower leaves were not burned.  I had that same pattern with a satakentia (under open sky) with 3' trunk, upper leaf tips(~2') burned.  Spears were not impacted this year in any of my palms.  I have (4) ollies and the smallest one was not burned at all, but it was in a more bunched area with a taller royal, the alex triple, and a Beccariophoenix Alfredii nearby.  The royals whose crowns reach 10'+ higher than the largest ollies were not burned so I expect no frost was deposited at that height since I know royals are also frost tender.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Thanks for the info. I had this palm in the same spot it’s planted in during our cold event. We hit 32 around 7:00 am. Heavy frost just outside the canopy but none under of course. It didn’t have any burn. I have a bunch of royals that did fine as well. Even a Myolensis under canopy had zero damage. So pretty confident in my spot. We’re about a mile from the coast and get a lot of East wind influence in the winter that makes us 10-15 degrees warmer than a coupes miles west. Its crazy. I know I’m pushing it with this one but time will tell I’m sure. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Mine is a lot smaller, but my KO (now CO) was completely defoliated at 24.4F with frost.  It had a little bit of canopy from a tall bamboo next to it, so maybe 50% frost protection.  I had really given up on it, despite doses of hydrogen peroxide + Daconil it just sat there all summer.  I finally repotted it in the middle of September and it was just barely growing a new spear.  That one opened at about 4' long, and it started pushing a second one.  I have the pot in the front yard "tropical bed" about 6' from the garage.  The bigger leaf was torched at about 28F with no frost but around 10-15 total hours under freezing.  The second smaller spear is partially open and about 50% burnt.  In my area I think these would only survive long-term under canopy.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Merlyn said:

Mine is a lot smaller, but my KO (now CO) was completely defoliated at 24.4F with frost.  It had a little bit of canopy from a tall bamboo next to it, so maybe 50% frost protection.  I had really given up on it, despite doses of hydrogen peroxide + Daconil it just sat there all summer.  I finally repotted it in the middle of September and it was just barely growing a new spear.  That one opened at about 4' long, and it started pushing a second one.  I have the pot in the front yard "tropical bed" about 6' from the garage.  The bigger leaf was torched at about 28F with no frost but around 10-15 total hours under freezing.  The second smaller spear is partially open and about 50% burnt.  In my area I think these would only survive long-term under canopy.

As you likely know, ones in pots are considerably less cold hardy the ones ground planted since the soil in a pot is much more subject to temperature extremes. 

• Like 4

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens