IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Big Box Store Finds 2022

Keys6505

I just posted the other day about some Chamadorea that I saw at Lowes and ran into something else today so I figured I'd just make a thread where i could post this stuff.  Don't want to fill up the forum with new posts every time I get overstimulated from seeing a new potted tree.  Anyways, picked up 2 Adonidia today at Wally's for $25 each in League City TX.  Might be old news to you FL folk, but I don't see them for sale here often due to being out of zone.  Pretty good size for $25 I think.20220315_180812.thumb.jpg.3c7353a86be927d66bb744c6ef672603.jpg

20220315_180802.jpg

Edited by Keys6505
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 2

I don't have a picture, but they had ponytail palms 1.5g for 17.99 at my "Orange Disappearing Apron People Big Box"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Lucas

19 minutes ago, Little Tex said:

I don't have a picture, but they had ponytail palms 1.5g for 17.99 at my "Orange Disappearing Apron People Big Box"

The blue stores in Myrtle got some too

20220303_123752.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Little Tex said:

How big is it for 60 bucks?

I didn't look, they had it wrapped in paper. The foliage caught my eye sticking out of the top but when I saw what it was I didn't investigate further

This is a funny thread, because my local Lowe's and Home Depot has NOTHING right now. Not even majesties. I dont even know what the hell to think about that. They stock majesties year round here.

Walmart is my best bet, unfortunately i already have what they sell. The Walmart in Ensley had plenty of Adonidia, they were everywhere. Toppled over up there, over there, and down there. They had plenty that were standing too. They had some Bottles and a few Queens mixed in. I saw two Foxtails and one pot full of a billion Pygmy Dates as always. My Walmart close by in Pace had some majesties, but thats about all they get even during the summer so i never expect much. I have a feeling of absolute shock when they get Bottles in.

• Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

6 hours ago, JLM said:

The Walmart in Ensley had plenty of Adonidia

Can those even grow in the panhandle? or do they sell them as annuals?

• Like 2

Lucas

Adonidia does well in containers as long as you don't neglect watering, they are thirsty palms that can go into a fast decline if left to dry out.

Lowe's on Old St. Augustine Rd in Jax had some nice 13 gallon mules the other day if anyone is looking for one.

IMG_20220220_094348373.jpg

IMG_20220220_094339815.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, oasis371 said:

Adonidia does well in containers as long as you don't neglect watering, they are thirsty palms that can go into a fast decline if left to dry out.

I know, I meant outside, in ground

Lucas

7 hours ago, The7thLegend said:

Lowe's on Old St. Augustine Rd in Jax had some nice 13 gallon mules the other day if anyone is looking for one.

Man thats awesome! I wish lowes in western washington carried these or any palms other than majesty. 

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Little Tex said:

Can those even grow in the panhandle? or do they sell them as annuals?

They are good for containers here. Although, an unsuspecting buyer will plant these in the yard and they will thrive, then the first freeze will hit and they will be devastated to find dead palms in their yard the next morning.

• Like 4

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

No way they will winter over in the Panhandle they are quite cold (even chill sensitive), I don't believe they are even successful long term in Southern Cali., but they are relatively easy in a pot, especially if they can spend multiple months outside. Water freely and be on the lookout for spider mites indoors.

2 hours ago, oasis371 said:

No way they will winter over in the Panhandle they are quite cold (even chill sensitive), I don't believe they are even successful long term in Southern Cali., but they are relatively easy in a pot, especially if they can spend multiple months outside. Water freely and be on the lookout for spider mites indoors.

There are a lot of old ones in McAllen TX

Lucas

The selections at my big box stores used to be terrific, now, they are meager. Not sure what changed.  Lucky to find Majesty for a good price.

On the other hand, a local, good nursery was selling Adonidia (twice the size as the one posted above), for $60, which is not bad out of Florida. I was't going to purchase it, as I have had issues over wintering these indoors.  Biggest issues, are that they can be prone to spider mites indoors, and they can't dry out, so I water liberally and frequently.  I've killed a lot of these, but for whatever reason, my current Adonidia and Majesty are thriving and look good to go for the season outdoors. Majesty will be kicked outside in April. Not sure about the Adonidia, maybe LATE April or early May (they are about as chill tolerant as Cocos).  

Edited by oasis371

On 3/16/2022 at 8:52 AM, Little Tex said:

I know, I meant outside, in ground

I think out of 3 adonidia in a 2 gallon clump one made it through the first winter here and then later died, same hardiness as the more tropical big box 2-gallon hyophorbe I had that died outright the same winter (pretty sure it was hyophorbe lang.).They all spear pulled and never recovered after about 24F.

Now what surprised me is 2 winters in,  an experimental 2-gallon big box spindle has made it under canopy semi-protected during the worst nights (24 last year and 25 this year, briefly). Of course the leaflets are all zapped again but I see the spear hiding in a leaf base, and the leaf stems are all green anyway. 

Edited by 8BPalms

Saw 15FT trunk single Foxtails and the blue box. 249. Same price as the mammoth bottles. But nothing hardy. 

• Upvote 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Yeah, the big box stores don't seem to offer much in terms of "hardy" palms. Probably hardiest are Chinese Fans and Sago Palms (Cycas revoluta).  I think my biggest surprise regarding box store palms is how cold tolerant some  of the Chamaedorea are.   One Fall, I left out  a Bamboo palm and it went through a snowfall and some cold just fine (lots of these are mountain species in the tropics). Regarding the Hyophorbes, of the two most prominent species, Spindle is well-known to be the hardier, Bottles are super tropical and very intolerant of the prolonged cool combined with wet.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, oasis371 said:

Yeah, the big box stores don't seem to offer much in terms of "hardy" palms. Probably hardiest are Chinese Fans and Sago Palms (Cycas revoluta).  I think my biggest surprise regarding box store palms is how cold tolerant some  of the Chamaedorea are.   One Fall, I left out  a Bamboo palm and it went through a snowfall and some cold just fine (lots of these are mountain species in the tropics). Regarding the Hyophorbes, of the two most prominent species, Spindle is well-known to be the hardier, Bottles are super tropical and very intolerant of the prolonged cool combined with wet.

Oddly enough, our Blue Big Box has a whole table full of Trachycarpus fortunei.  Seems like they would sell better in NJ.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

"Are we not supposed to say Lowes or Home Depot on here?"

It's meant to generic.  Besides, why give them free advertising? There ARE other big box stores for palms, occasionally Walmart and Costco, and I am sure others. 

"Oddly enough, our Blue Big Box has a whole table full of Trachycarpus fortunei.  Seems like they would sell better in NJ."

Well,  that may be true but I wouldn't buy them, I have more than enough Trachycarpus. I wish they would carry Sabals though.

Edited by oasis371
  • Like 1

Heb has palms frequently. I picked up a dypsis lutescens for 5 bucks today in college station.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jtee said:

Are we not supposed to say Lowes or Home Depot on here?

I think it's OK as long as you're not recommending someone do business with a non-IPS member.

• Like 2

Jon Sunder

9 hours ago, Jtee said:

Are we not supposed to say Lowes or Home Depot on here?

Its more fun to say "Orange disappearing apron people store."

• Like 2

Lucas

Yeah, the box stores seem to love Cat palms..., never let them dry out, they like it on the WET side, your soil looks very peaty and dry. This is one of the few palm species that tolerate saturated conditions.

1 hour ago, oasis371 said:

Yeah, the box stores seem to love Cat palms..., never let them dry out, they like it on the WET side, your soil looks very peaty and dry. This is one of the few palm species that tolerate saturated conditions.

Yea I'm not sure what it's potted in but it won't be in that container for long. I had good luck with a smaller one in the ground through this past winter so we're gonna roll the dice with this one as well. 

For a few years we had the blue pot needles and trachys. This is about as good as it gets now, always majesty’s obviously, Pygmy date palms and sagos. F78D6FDE-7D97-47E8-9206-F80C86A99433.thumb.jpeg.90250be8c0380a58ed592e68dc7abd7c.jpegEEE88ADD-23D9-4217-8232-05274BFD5CE3.thumb.jpeg.14cb27ac7e3df138204e14c167141d1a.jpeg

• Upvote 1

The big blue in Bryan, TX has Butia...looks like they might be B. catarinensis from FL 

PXL_20220322_164716473.thumb.jpg.7282096dde21a8edb52353c2626af1e2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

On 3/16/2022 at 8:57 AM, The7thLegend said:

I got a mule from there a few months back. Very healthy and green to the base, which I prefer. 
I will say they need to spread those palms out. Hard to see what they have and the trees tend to get beat up quickly.

Syagrus romanzoffiana at H-E-B at Bandera and 1604 in San Antonio selling for 20 bones.  Depending on your growing conditions, you can get them from germinated seed to this size in about 2 to 3 years.

image.thumb.jpeg.35736487c779293649c67158af515832.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker

On 3/22/2022 at 11:59 AM, Xenon said:

The big blue in Bryan, TX has Butia...looks like they might be B. catarinensis from FL 

PXL_20220322_164716473.thumb.jpg.7282096dde21a8edb52353c2626af1e2.jpg

If they are catarinensis from FL maybe they will offer a better variety of palms? :o Wait, what was thinking... :unsure:

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

On 3/15/2022 at 7:03 PM, Keys6505 said:

Anyways, picked up 2 Adonidia today at Wally's for $25 each in League City TX.

That is a find haha I have successfully kept some in a pot for a couple years over wintering them in my garage. Need a green house now haha Found this Cham @ Texas City Blue box while picking up a landscape rake =) 

T J 

20220302_110915.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

T J 

Ran to LOWES yesterday to pick up a few things and was pretty surprised to find bottle and foxtail palms for sale. 

$39.98 for these, about 2.5-3ft or so.

I haven't seen these here in years. 

IMG_9889.JPG

IMG_9888.JPG

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Lowe's on Hwy 90W in Lake City, FL has some very nice 6ft, 6.5 gallon Bamboo Palms.  Chamaedorea Seifrizii

IMG_20220323_113945056.jpg

IMG_20220323_113950844.jpg

Edited by The7thLegend
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Wow, nice finds! Havent been to either blue or orange stores lately. Walmart had some majesties, small queens, pygmy dates, and a couple golden canes mixed in with the majesties and pygmy dates. I was very tempted to grab a small bird of paradise but decided against it. Now that i think about it, i dont know why i decided against it.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I found a 3 gallon “Wild Date Palm” for 19.99 at HD. Looked like a Sylvester, so I purchased. I’ll throw up a pic this weekend.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1