IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Big Box Store Finds 2022

Keys6505

9 hours ago, Brad Mondel said:

I found a 7 gallon Mule palm at Lowes today! I've never seen one for sale or in person before. 20230301_160753.thumb.jpg.6367563d9921abe1bbefd281000b37e9.jpg

That means our local lowes should have palms now. I was there a couple weeks ago and they had nada. 

great find. 👍

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Brad Mondel said:

I found a 7 gallon Mule palm at Lowes today! I've never seen one for sale or in person before. 20230301_160753.thumb.jpg.6367563d9921abe1bbefd281000b37e9.jpg

I wish I was lucky to find such a good find.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Go check them out. These are $199 which I didn't think twice about paying because I had to have it. 😃

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

13 hours ago, Brad Mondel said:

It might be worth checking out mine!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lucas

8 hours ago, Little Tex said:

It might be worth checking out mine!

Sorry, only magesty palms west of the Mississippi . 

I wonder how fast the washingtonia seeds should take to germinate, probably like a week or something like that.

Just now, ChicagoPalma said:

I wonder how fast the washingtonia seeds should take to germinate, probably like a week or something like that.

You found Washingtonian seeds at a big box store? 🤔

No, but the fact I found majesty palm seeds in a big box store, it just shows that big box stores literally sell just majesty palms and sometimes a very rare chance, majesty palm seeds. 🤣 I find it very funny.

14 hours ago, RJ said:

You found Washingtonian seeds at a big box store? 🤔

There's almost always a ton of Washingtonia seeds in the Lowe's parking lot in Harlingen.  And they're free!

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

Found these two Mexican Fan Palms at my local Lowe’s. I believe it was 26 gallon and it was for $199, is that a good price? 

7B305F5A-5A71-4EA6-9E39-4584AA375E4D.jpeg

15 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Found these two Mexican Fan Palms at my local Lowe’s. I believe it was 26 gallon and it was for $199, is that a good price? 

5 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

Blue store...nice to see these getting the push they are

20230304_173615.jpg

20230304_173620.jpg

WELP, I better head to my local lowes tomorrow and check out what they got. Mules and robustas sound exciting, but they ain't gonna be in my lowes. Although they have sold fan palms before around spring time. But still, ima check out what they got. Its better to check than nothing

• Like 1

On 3/4/2023 at 10:22 PM, JohnT said:

no look for wholesalers on fb marketplace, assuming your in CA,AZ,TX or FL then you can get some with 3-4 feet of trunk for that price

Lucas

I actually live in Wilmington NC. I was really surprised to see those Mexican fan palms here. I don’t think it would be a long term thing since we are technically 8A but they sure are pretty🤩

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

I'm about ready to give up on queens after this past winter but man oh man is it tempting

20230315_161056.jpg

20230315_161109.jpg

20230315_161121.jpg

Are those Spindle Palms to the left? 

Found spindles and grand nain bananas at wally world last week. Too pricey for me though.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

51 minutes ago, General Sylvester D. Palm said:

Are those Spindle Palms to the left? 

I believe so, this is the seaboard store

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAVEinMB said:

Not palms but a cool find nevertheless, think my jungle area could use one of each

20230316_114709.jpg

20230316_114720.jpg

These are quite cold hardy.  Both of my seed grown calamondin and what I think was a seed grown Myer's lemon survived 9° in February 2021 without any protection.  If the lemon was grafted, and I saw no evidence of a graft, it was probably the rootstock that came back.

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

5 minutes ago, Fusca said:

These are quite cold hardy.  Both of my seed grown calamondin and what I think was a seed grown Myer's lemon survived 9° in February 2021 without any protection.  If the lemon was grafted, and I saw no evidence of a graft, it was probably the rootstock that came back.

Right on! That's def good to know

I'm building a nice little cold hardy citrus army. Currently have kumquat, citrumelo, and grapefruit. My grapefruit trees pulled through 12F and are back to growing, very stoked about that. Although not a citrus I also have loquat in the mix. 

@Fusca

Well these definitely look to be grafted, hopefully it's not with something less hardy. Then again I could always just protect the bottom foot of the tree if we get a cold blast

20230316_175535.jpg

20230316_175557.jpg

20230316_175601.jpg

20230316_175607.jpg

20230316_175623.jpg

20230316_175642.jpg

20230316_175711.jpg

Edited by DAVEinMB
  • Like 1

Bought me a 13 gallon Mule at Lowe's yesterday. Label said $199 but it rung up for $189.  10% discount got it down to $170 before tax. Cheaper than elsewhere I've seen. I peeled off the stuck on tag saying $199 pictured in one of the posts by DaveinMB above and the card originally had $150 printed on it lol

0?ui=2&ik=5bc9df6774&attid=0.1.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1760619154545378900&th=186ef9cafb6d0654&view=fimg&fur=ip&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ80ugZ9sAEU-iVAfUCnpPm7xoSiQNxD51JVwXca2V7wtIlHgD-ogP6Wps5N7m-ytl9VMLXSUrEiaxPi8n6-YmUhh4S-630jU5d-jPc2vB-zU-8dFiKG4Z4fvuE&disp=emb

Edited by AcerPALMatum
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

@Fusca

Well these definitely look to be grafted, hopefully it's not with something less hardy. Then again I could always just protect the bottom foot of the tree if we get a cold blast

20230316_175623.jpg

Yep, looks like it's grafted.  I remember @Laaz telling me that some varieties of kumquat are grafted onto trifoliate orange as rootstock. So I would do as you said about protecting the bottom foot if you get a bad freeze.  They say Myer's lemon make a good container citrus also.

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

32 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Yep, looks like it's grafted.  I remember @Laaz telling me that some varieties of kumquat are grafted onto trifoliate orange as rootstock. So I would do as you said about protecting the bottom foot if you get a bad freeze.  They say Myer's lemon make a good container citrus also.

Oddly enough, the nursery's tag on the calamondin lists it as kumquat. Maybe that was the donor? 🤔

I'm trying to get over my potted plant attitude but I'm not quite there yet haha. I'm stubborn and feel like if there's a chance it can make it in the ground that's where it's going

That company (S&B) uses C-33 for kumquat and lime and citrange for everything else (including calamondin I would think). Both rootstocks are much more cold hardy than any edible citrus. You should be more worried about the top freezing than the much hardier rootstock. Citrus hardiness is complicated due to hardening, cold duration, canopy size, wood diamater etc but for a small calamondin like that, there is danger of the top part freezing below 20F. 

The 3 gallon calamondin I planted last spring froze to the ground in our December freeze at 16F. Thankfully it's on its own roots and is already a few inches tall again. 

Edited by Xenon
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

• 1 month later...

BBS finds 2023

Majesty Palms not my favorite but for $10 from the Blue Store I  can treat as an annual. I'll spend more on a pot of Geraniums!

20230419_175358.jpg

20230419_175408.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Quasarecho said:

Majesty Palms not my favorite but for $10 from the Blue Store I  can treat as an annual.

Definitely couldn't pass that deal up. I always have to look inside for single majesty palms just for sh!ts and giggles. They happen to be very bud hardy.

T J 

• Like 1

T J 

• 3 weeks later...

Lowe's in Seattle area finally have trachycarpus and chamaerops available for sale. 

PXL_20230505_181403605.jpg

PXL_20230505_182221167.jpg

• Like 2

@Jesse PNW actually they have been late these past two years. They used to have them out by April 20. It is too bad they don't have any butia nor filibusta again this year. Their butias are great and thriving in our area. 

• Like 1

I wish they'd sell queens up here.  They're a dime a dozen in the SE US, not much different from Phoenix roebelinii or Ravenea. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

I wish they'd sell queens up here.  They're a dime a dozen in the SE US, not much different from Phoenix roebelinii or Ravenea. 

I want a Phoenix roebelinii so bad, they never sell them here ever

@ZPalmsI like them.  In my limited experience they make good indoor palms and can be kept in containers for many years due to their small size.  Not subject to mites or scale or fungus, but the fronds sunburn pretty badly when lighting conditions change, like if you move them from inside to outside.  

However, I think I'd rather have reclinata.  A little more cold tolerant, more robust, faster growing.  I had a bunch of seedlings but alas, they all got devoured by rats while sheltered outside my house this winter. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

@ZPalmsI like them.  In my limited experience they make good indoor palms and can be kept in containers for many years due to their small size.  Not subject to mites or scale or fungus, but the fronds sunburn pretty badly when lighting conditions change, like if you move them from inside to outside.  

However, I think I'd rather have reclinata.  A little more cold tolerant, more robust, faster growing.  I had a bunch of seedlings but alas, they all got devoured by rats while sheltered outside my house this winter. 

Honestly I would love both but I love the look of single Phoenix roebelinii in a pot but none are ever sold in my area and I'd have to grow from seed if I want one which will take forever to get to a nice feather bush state

4 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

Honestly I would love both but I love the look of single Phoenix roebelinii in a pot but none are ever sold in my area and I'd have to grow from seed if I want one which will take forever to get to a nice feather bush state

just keep your eyes peeled for REALLY little ones, they are easier to separate

• Like 1

Lucas

Just now, Little Tex said:

just keep your eyes peeled for REALLY little ones, they are easier to separate

If they ever show up ever 😂

42 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

They're a dime a dozen in the SE US

Nothings more satisfying than seeing 90% of the queens sold at the big boxes, then you know the population is being replenished, Im seeing so many new plantings everywhere

• Upvote 1

Lucas

@ZPalmsyou should make a quick run down 95 into GA or FL.  I saw them at Walmart when I was in Orlando a couple years ago.  I imagine it's still the same.  They're occasionally available at Walmart up here, and every summer at Lowes and Home Depot up here.  

• Like 1