IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Brahea Sensitive to Root Pruning?

Xerarch

I have these Franken Brahea I’ve had in pots for several years from seed acquired from Dooms Dave, after torturing them in pots for years and hauling across country, I need to finally get them in the ground. But as seen in the below photo, the roots have grown out the bottom and circled around and around the small tray. If I trim these off will it harm it? Should I just cut the pot out from around the roots? Really looking forward to getting these things in the ground where they belong. 

45C1FC07-7DD8-4F9E-85D3-3EFA3C8E040D.thumb.jpeg.61186232f2569ebc3ce6a33026ff43ca.jpeg 

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Don't trim the roots. Brahea families don't like root disturbance. It will definitely slow down the growth and possibly death. I would cut around the pot like you suggested. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Cut the pot sides off first, then try to cut the bottom off in little pieces.   
A small curved blade, serrated knife helps with this.  

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Thanks guys, that's what I'll plan on doing, I'm no stranger to cutting pots off to spare the roots.  It's just if it was something like Washingtonia I might not bother, I'd just cut the roots off and throw it in the ground.

• Like 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

• 2 weeks later...

Well....... I planted two of these braheas and a number of other palms and fruit trees over the weekend.  I made a solid attempt to cut the pot off around those roots but dog gone.  Every hole in the bottom was so stuffed with roots I couldn't even cut it off without damaging all kinds of stuff inside the pot and out plus with it all being such a tangle.  So I ended up having to cut them off anyway, so now I'll just have to roll the dice and pray that they will recover.  If they die I still have two more to plant, and I guess then my best option would be to cut the main part of the pot off, and then just plant the rest of it with a little disc of plastic stall attached to the bottom. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Xerarch said:

I guess then my best option would be to cut the main part of the pot off, and then just plant the rest of it with a little disc of plastic stall attached to the bottom. 

No problem doing that.  Years ago it was fairly common practice to plant the entire pot in the ground and let the palm roots continue pushing through the thin plastic.  Not exactly amending the soil but shouldn't present an issue with the palm.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

• 3 weeks later...

Results about 3 weeks after planting. I marked that sharpie pen line straight across shortly after planting. So they don’t seem to be fazed by removing those roots, whew. 

A80C75A0-A85C-45AE-A88D-21435BB53EE8.thumb.jpeg.5bdd22b933da8dbc120a9f1ebf3d3a2f.jpeg 

• Like 2

However one of the two queens I put in the ground hasn't budged at all yet, wasn't expecting that.