IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Favorite Nurseries In Texas for Landscape Trees, Palms and etc..

Collectorpalms

12 minutes ago, necturus said:

How much were the Neos? I almost bought a couple at John Fairey today but got a female Zamia vazquezii instead. 

How are the prices at the John Fairey Garden nursery?

1 minute ago, amh said:

How are the prices at the John Fairey Garden nursery?

It's a mixed bag. There were some decent deals. Other things were pretty steep. Prices have definitely gone up since the last spring sale.

Just now, necturus said:

It's a mixed bag. There were some decent deals. Other things were pretty steep. Prices have definitely gone up since the last spring sale.

Are the cycad prices fair? 

1 minute ago, amh said:

Are the cycad prices fair? 

The Zamia were in very large pots and were $100 or more. Guess it depends on your perspective. Pretty fair compared to retail. I'm still kicking myself for only buying one of the two big Zamia vazquezii at the Natural Gardener a few years back for $35.

Conversely, they had a C. panzhihuaensis in a gallon pot for $90. That seemed steep.

Craig told me they are reserving Ceratozamia for the garden since they lost some, so none will be for sale.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, necturus said:

How much were the Neos? I almost bought a couple at John Fairey today but got a female Zamia vazquezii instead. 

The 5ish gallon size were $75 for about an 18 inch cactus. The bigger 25 gallon were around 4 feet or so, one was maybe closer to 5 feet tall, all $775. You can get 1 gallon Neo’s at East Austin Succulents for $15-20 for 6-8 inches. Last time I was there they were pretty much out of those.

I would say the 5 gallon size are the way to go, that’s the size when they really start taking up speed, and don’t get damaged as easily.

7 hours ago, necturus said:

The Zamia were in very large pots and were $100 or more. Guess it depends on your perspective. Pretty fair compared to retail. I'm still kicking myself for only buying one of the two big Zamia vazquezii at the Natural Gardener a few years back for $35.

Conversely, they had a C. panzhihuaensis in a gallon pot for $90. That seemed steep.

Craig told me they are reserving Ceratozamia for the garden since they lost some, so none will be for sale.

Sorry guys but it’s rather tricky to list plants for their sale, only for them to tell you they are for the garden actually, and was a misprint. There were more than a few plants. That’s what I call a deceptive “bait and switch” whether intentional or not. ( frankly it was, I inquired awhile back and they were listed right up to the sale). I had plans to go, but instead went and collected free palm seeds.

I miss Yucca Do!

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

5 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Sorry guys but it’s rather tricky to list plants for their sale, only for them to tell you they are for the garden actually, and was a misprint. There were more than a few plants. That’s what I call a deceptive “bait and switch” whether intentional or not. ( frankly it was, I inquired awhile back and they were listed right up to the sale). I had plans to go, but instead went and collected free palm seeds.

I miss Yucca Do!

Yeah, it's a little odd they listed Ceratozamia kuesteriana in their teaser email but apparently only ever had one big plant they weren't going to sell. Oh well, it doesn't bother me too much.

My biggest disappointment was how they limited garden visitation to two tours. Being able to explore the garden at our own pace last Budding Out Sale was on the event's highlight.  With that said, I also can imagine many reasons why they'd want to limit access.

• 1 month later...

Anyone, in the local TX area see any 15 gallon or close  Canary Island Date Palms yet this year? ( something I can fit in the back of a truck and plant with 1 or 2 people) I checked out the ones at PP in New Braunfels and they were just too overpriced in my mind. They were what I would normally see in 5 gallons for 29.99 instead of $130 in 7 gallon oversized pots. I need 1 or 3.

Palm Paradise did have field dug sabals and Pindos that were ok priced, but everything else was higher than most places.

HEB plus along 35 and in north San Antonio had great prices on regular shrubs and trees but had no palms ( this was in March or early April I think)

That 5/7 gallon Pindo at Vivero Nursery in Austin is the same size and price at Lowes in Bryan, TX. $89, something that use to be around $35 a decade ago or $50 last year...

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

3 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Anyone, in the local TX area see any 15 gallon or close  Canary Island Date Palms yet this year? ( something I can fit in the back of a truck and plant with 1 or 2 people) I checked out the ones at PP in New Braunfels and they were just too overpriced in my mind. They were what I would normally see in 5 gallons for 29.99 instead of $130 in 7 gallon oversized pots. I need 1 or 3.

Palm Paradise did have field dug sabals and Pindos that were ok priced, but everything else was higher than most places.

HEB plus along 35 and in north San Antonio had great prices on regular shrubs and trees but had no palms ( this was in March or early April I think)

That 5/7 gallon Pindo at Vivero Nursery in Austin is the same size and price at Lowes in Bryan, TX. $89, something that use to be around $35 a decade ago or $50 last year...

Some in Bacliff and Bigger ones in Conroe

Lucas

Consider taking a trip to the Rio Grande Valley.  Nursery 495, Muñoz and the Tree of Life all have large palms and countless tropicals for much less.  It helps to bring cash and speak Spanish.  There are other palm dealers as well all around the RGV. 

• Upvote 1

Paradise Palms is overpriced, but they do have a decent selection for this area.  The do have Washingtonia Robusta for like 26 dollars.  Everything else is jacked up prices.  

2 hours ago, NBTX11 said:

Paradise Palms is overpriced, but they do have a decent selection for this area.  The do have Washingtonia Robusta for like 26 dollars.  Everything else is jacked up prices.  

They had field dug beautiful Pindos for $700 that were worth it. They had several feet of trunk, but alas they never made it in my soil in the past. So no on those.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Upvote 1

On 5/5/2022 at 12:37 AM, Collectorpalms said:

They had field dug beautiful Pindos for $700 that were worth it. They had several feet of trunk, but alas they never made it in my soil in the past. So no on those.

Yeah, I really wish Pindos would grow here.  They are beautiful.  I tried growing a couple and they just sat and languished in the soil before dying.  Gave up on them.  And that was with warm winters with barely any freezes.  I can count on one hand the amount of OK looking pindos here.

Edited by NBTX11

On 5/3/2022 at 2:49 AM, Collectorpalms said:

Anyone, in the local TX area see any 15 gallon or close  Canary Island Date Palms yet this year?

Ryan, if you have the time I'd consider what @Graydon suggests.  Adams Gardens Nursery in Harlingen is another option.  They have field-grown CIDP for $50/ft. CT as small as 3' for $150.  6' for $300 is quite a bit less than the $1,800 you were quoted in another thread for what looked like a bit smaller palm than 6'.  I'm planning to get a 3' Phoenix rupicola for the same price.  PRICELIST | AdamsGardensNursery

Jon Sunder

30 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Ryan, if you have the time I'd consider what @Graydon suggests.  Adams Gardens Nursery in Harlingen is another option.  They have field-grown CIDP for $50/ft. CT as small as 3' for $150.  6' for $300 is quite a bit less than the $1,800 you were quoted in another thread for what looked like a bit smaller palm than 6'.  I'm planning to get a 3' Phoenix rupicola for the same price.  PRICELIST | AdamsGardensNursery

These most likely ARE from Adams nursery.  Had no idea you could buy retail from them.

for 48 hrs, To rent a full pickup from enterprise ( $580), gas 800 miles. 15mpg at $3.80 ($200). a 12 FT trailer from uhaul ($100), which is unavailable anyhow on the dates I checked, I am already up to $900 and no palms yet. 20 years ago, when first landscaping good idea! But for 1 palm, not really worth the time and effort. If I want 3 or more then YES.

How do you buy retail from  Adams, a place that advertises wholesale?

Edited by Collectorpalms

11 minutes ago, Little Tex said:

Contact the number

Yeah, I read between the lines. Although I saw a google review that said Wholesale only,

I looked at google maps. I saw in the fields some large Nannos and Brahea. I wonder if those transplant badly and not advertised, anyhow we are talking major expense to get them here and planted. 

DAFFD60B-9DCB-4E75-84BF-4267127C65F8.jpeg

47465C06-F856-41B1-ABBB-5825E97A29D0.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

FYI...The H-E-B Plus on the corner of 1604 and Bandera in San Antonio is currently selling 25G Bismarckia nobilis, Phoenix roebelenii, Syagrus romanzoffiana, and Washingtonia spp.

image.thumb.jpeg.65f8c06f8b692fcc0e3456735b7a028b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.bb2ee271d2e5ceaaf0c1eb84b4e2b0c5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0bb8e5a225e531dbaedf3f352c882e9c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f208e5f11819ff4d64c7a80a75d68e02.jpeg

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker

22 hours ago, GoatLockerGuns said:

FYI...The H-E-B Plus on the corner of 1604 and Bandera in San Antonio is currently selling 25G Bismarckia nobilis, Phoenix roebelenii, Syagrus romanzoffiana, and Washingtonia spp.

image.thumb.jpeg.65f8c06f8b692fcc0e3456735b7a028b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.bb2ee271d2e5ceaaf0c1eb84b4e2b0c5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0bb8e5a225e531dbaedf3f352c882e9c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f208e5f11819ff4d64c7a80a75d68e02.jpeg

I would try a Bismarkica 1 more time! I have sprouted seedlings. But a 25Gall is tempting. 

• Like 1

Its mostly tropical house plants, but Tall Plants in Houston sometimes has interesting palms. They aren't very cheap and their inventory is constantly changing but worth checking out if you are close by. They are the only place around here where I have seen Howea forsteriana for sale. 

I know someone already mentioned it but i wanted to add that Sometimes JRN nursery has coconut palms. Not JRN 2. I asked the lady at JRN and she said they are NOT related in any way. 

I haven't been, but people on the forum have mentioned Flamingo Gardens in Galveston. 

Other than that everywhere else in the Houston area that has palms has been mentioned in this thread. 

Has anyone mentioned Nautius Nursery in Houston? They have a massive selection, Trunking bizzies, coconuts, spindles, foxtails, livistona, butia, mules, jubea, syagrus, CDIP, and sylvestris, and not just palms, fruit trees, agave, flowers, its massive, and the prices are very good, coconut with 4 feet of trunk, 275.99, 15 gallon butia, 170

Lucas

2 hours ago, Little Tex said:

Has anyone mentioned Nautius Nursery in Houston? They have a massive selection, Trunking bizzies, coconuts, spindles, foxtails, livistona, butia, mules, jubea, syagrus, CDIP, and sylvestris, and not just palms, fruit trees, agave, flowers, its massive, and the prices are very good, coconut with 4 feet of trunk, 275.99, 15 gallon butia, 170

Nope never heard of it. This it?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Natius+Nursery/@30.0327326,-95.25706,3a,75y,275.65h,90.6t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sKt8NCplpF-5N1Nu4Y_Rgcw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!4m7!3m6!1s0x8640b2c2cf259927:0x233878918dbc0032!8m2!3d30.0332704!4d-95.2572816!14m1!1BCgIgARICCAI

Edited by Collectorpalms

10 hours ago, Little Tex said:

Has anyone mentioned Nautius Nursery in Houston?

Thanks for sharing. Looks interesting. Gives me something to explore after bringing folks to the airport!
;)

• 6 months later...
On 3/2/2022 at 4:10 PM, Meangreen94z said:

They are a ripoff from what I’ve seen. Their  business location doesn’t have much onsite inventory, most of it is stored at their offsite nursery. I think they deal in mostly installs around pools, expensive homes, etc in the Sugarland area. 

Huh? It's 3 acres and always fully stocked even in the Winter.  Also has the largest selection of around 100 species of Palms (which is the largest in Texas). There is always thousands of Palms in stock and even directly after the epic freeze it was fully stocked to the point that Palms were outside the gates. Maybe your being confused with another place?

I drove from Corpus to pick up a Mule from Palm Professionals last spring.  Easy to get to from Corpus, straight down 59/69.  It was fairly priced and very healthy along with helpful friendly assistance from the staff there.

Edited by WisTex

I wish I had grown more palms from seed years ago seeing some of these prices down here lol

I've been to many of the nurseries mentioned in this thread around San Antonio, and the selection of anything other than the standard few varieties is almost nonexistent. And the standard palms are surprisingly (to me anyway) expensive.

The best I've seen is still palm buddha, by far. I don't know how their prices are though. It seems to me like you'd be better off stocking up on a vacation to Florida than buying anything here locally, at least the smaller stuff.

sticker.gif?zipcode=78015&template=stick

15 hours ago, pptn said:

Huh? It's 3 acres and always fully stocked even in the Winter.  Also has the largest selection of around 100 species of Palms (which is the largest in Texas). There is always thousands of Palms in stock and even directly after the epic freeze it was fully stocked to the point that Palms were outside the gates. Maybe your being confused with another place?

I'll have to check this out when I'm in the Houston area again.

The choices in Corpus are very limited.  The internet is been my solution if I don't want to spend 4 hours traveling one way.  Jungle Music Palms in Encinitas CA are masters of shipping 15 gallon palms.  3-4 day delivery time to Corpus after purchase from phone call or email.  Larger sizes are available dependent on your willingness to pay shipping costs. Their website has a wealth of information.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/18/2022 at 11:39 AM, WisTex said:

The choices in Corpus are very limited.  The internet is been my solution if I don't want to spend 4 hours traveling one way.  Jungle Music Palms in Encinitas CA are masters of shipping 15 gallon palms.  3-4 day delivery time to Corpus after purchase from phone call or email.  Larger sizes are available dependent on your willingness to pay shipping costs. Their website has a wealth of information.

I've ordered from them years ago, but they're pretty expensive, and what I got was pretty small. Their selection is great though.

47 minutes ago, WisTex said:

There are no decent palm vendors in Corpus Christi.

Yeah I'm finding the same to be true around San Antonio, at least not for rarer smaller palms. The sort you'd be able to get back home in your car.