IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Germinating seeds

Lady Gaga

Hi, I just want or germinate some seeds and I wanted to create some thread where I can post some pics and sometimes maybe ask about your advices. 

So currently I'm trying to germinate seeds of Phoenix canariensis and archontophoenix alexandrae (I'm obsessed with this one). In the past I tried to germinate many other palm tree seeds, and I was successful with Phoenix canariensis, Washingtonia robusta and archontophoenix alexandrae (but this one died after few days :( )

I put my seeds 9 days ago into the wet paper towel and into the plastic box, that I put on the heater in my bathroom. The temperature is around 30 degrees. 

Today i found out, that two of my seeds germinated after 9 days :D I was so surprised, I wouldn't expect it to be so fast. And I just wanna mark that those seeds (Phoenix canariensis) are from the market, from the dried dates.

I took those seeds and I put them into the plastic cups. The soil that I used is regular plant soil mixed with a lot of perlite. I hope it will be fine enough. (for archontophoenix I want to buy coconut soil, and I'll mix it with perlite and regular soil). Those cups I put into the plastic bag, closed the bag with the cup inside and I put them on the heater. 

IMG_20220208_124426.thumb.jpg.0bad9a0fe0c3cb12b72fab7cd68d1a6c.jpg

• Like 1

Fantastic ! I used to buy grocery store dates and germinate the seeds and grow palms that way. Phoenix are very easy to get popping and a great way to learn 

• Like 1

Also, I have one question. Both of them are seeds of Phoenix canariensis. But what is the difference between them? Anyone knows? I'm asking because 3 years ago I germinated seeds that looked like those:

1566054817889.jpg

And 9 days ago I germinated seeds that look like that:

51BaRD5LwoL.jpg

So what is the difference? 

6 minutes ago, Lady Gaga said:

Today i found out, that two of my seeds germinated after 9 days :D I was so surprised, I wouldn't expect it to be so fast. And I just wanna mark that those seeds (Phoenix canariensis) are from the market, from the dried dates.

The ones in your picture look more like Phoenix dactylifera seeds.

• Like 1

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker

7 minutes ago, Lady Gaga said:

So what is the difference? 

The ones in the first picture look like Phoenix canariensis.  The ones in the second picture look like Phoenix dactylifera.

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

Just now, GoatLockerGuns said:

The first picture look like Phoenix canariensis.  The ones in the second picture look like Phoenix dactylifera.

Wow, thank you so much! 

Canariensis seeds are not edible or sold in markets I think. It's the dactyliphera ones that we eat and call dates. 

• Like 1

previously known as ego

So I did like that. Plastic cup has holes so the water can come out, and it is closed in the plastic zipper bag. Can I be sure that the high humidity will be equal in each place? 

IMG_20220208_190759.thumb.jpg.d482f5d4d55cabf0ebb954ce139c21d7.jpg

2 hours ago, ego said:

Canariensis seeds are not edible or sold in markets I think. It's the dactyliphera ones that we eat and call dates.

Technically, Phoenix canariensis fruits are edible; there is just not enough flesh on them to make it worth your while.  I think the most common varieties of Phoenix dactylifera grown in California, and sold in the U.S. for consumption, are the 'Medjool' and 'Deglet Noor' varieties; although, there is brand called "Date Lady" that also sells the 'Barhi' variety grown in California.  There are many other varieties of Phoenix dactylifera grown throughout the Middle East.  Many favorite is the 'Ajwa' variety grown in Saudi Arabia.  It has a milder sweetness.  Surprisingly, while the 'Ajwa' variety is of the Phoenix dactylifera species, its seed is more truncated, and sort of resembles a Phoenix canariensis seed.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2022 at 7:10 PM, Lady Gaga said:

So I did like that. Plastic cup has holes so the water can come out, and it is closed in the plastic zipper bag. Can I be sure that the high humidity will be equal in each place? 

IMG_20220208_190759.thumb.jpg.d482f5d4d55cabf0ebb954ce139c21d7.jpg

Anyone? 

35 minutes ago, Lady Gaga said:

Anyone? 

Honestly with the Phoenix variety I think your cup and baggy method will be fine.  Just don't let the cups dry out but don't have them too wet either.  I've germinated store bought dates in nothing but a plastic container with no soil after soaking them for a day and giving them an additional soak if they looked dry.  Once germinated I put them in their own containers and they grew fine ...until the squirrels got them.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Scott W said:

Honestly with the Phoenix variety I think your cup and baggy method will be fine.  Just don't let the cups dry out but don't have them too wet either.  I've germinated store bought dates in nothing but a plastic container with no soil after soaking them for a day and giving them an additional soak if they looked dry.  Once germinated I put them in their own containers and they grew fine ...until the squirrels got them.

Haha you can't blame squirrels lol 

Thank you 

The third seed of Phoenix dactylifera germinated :) I transplanted all of them (3 so far) to plastic cup with coco soil mixed with perlit. I put them in plastic zip bag and they are on the floor close to the heater in my room. I guess they don't need hight temperature like they had on the heater in the bathroom.