IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubaea x butia yatay

NWpalms@206

All this talk of hybrids makes me greedy...  I am sooo tempted by Bismarckia nobilis, once i move to So. Oregon.  Yeah, it's still zone 8-9....but it's a fairly quick growing palm especially when larger.  I know I could cover / heat with Christmas lights when small, the challenge is when larger.  Perhaps I could treat it as a semi-deciduous plant, kinda like a banana plant, and maybe just cut all the leaves off each fall when too large to cover, then wrap the trunk and apex + lights.  It could leaf out in spring and maybe look good by summer?  Probably not, unless it grows really fast.  And the trauma of losing all the leaves each year might really stunt it, IF it lived.   Hey, it's a dream ok.  Those trees look friggin' fabulous.  Probably will never have one.  

Edited by MarkbVet

@MarkbVet I am not sure about the hardiness, there is no data about it yet. I am assuming it will be the hardiest mule.  It survives but I protected it in the ground this year.

The lowest temperature it has experienced unprotected and no damage is 27f in a pot in February 2021.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Trustandi said:

@MarkbVet I am not sure about the hardiness, there is no data about it yet. I am assuming it will be the hardiest mule.  It survives but I protected it in the ground this year.

The lowest temperature it has experienced unprotected and no damage is 27f in a pot in February 2021.

I'd expect the Jxb xQ to be hardier, just because the original mother plant was Jubaea,  but hey, who knows?  I hope you're right and this BxJ  x BxQ is really good, sure looks cool (let's hope they tend to look like the one in your larger picture, VERY nice!)  Looks like a lot of Queen influence as far as phenotype/appearance.  

Edited by MarkbVet

2 hours ago, Love them palms said:

BJxBS,and a couple of Jubaea x butia yatay liners 

He's not listing BxJ  x BxS unless i'm missing something...  love to get one if i'm mistaken.  Is that the 5 gal plants you were saying he had?

Edited by MarkbVet

5 hours ago, MarkbVet said:

He's not listing BxJ  x BxS unless i'm missing something...  love to get one if i'm mistaken.  Is that the 5 gal plants you were saying he had?

it's one of his larger sizes. all the ones on the list are liners he has. he has the one I mentioned in 5g  also  5g BxPJC and a  BxPJT

8 hours ago, MarkbVet said:

@Love them palms     Are there more available do you know?

not really sure what amount Patrick has of BJXBS. he sent his reply of what he had when I asked what he had in 5g.

17 hours ago, MarkbVet said:

I am sooo tempted by Bismarckia nobilis, once i move to So. Oregon.  Yeah, it's still zone 8-9....but it's a fairly quick growing palm especially when larger.  

I have a couple of Bismarkia in Salem.  They are two years old from seed and only two strap leaves.  They only grow quick in the heat.  Mine have been growing at a glacial pace.

21 hours ago, Love them palms said:

I would like to get a Butia x parajubea sunkha too

62A4D9AE-585E-4A07-A9C0-1F012906BAD2.jpeg

1D94E405-A10C-44E1-B890-504ABC673B48.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NWpalms@206 said:

62A4D9AE-585E-4A07-A9C0-1F012906BAD2.jpeg

You can't just post that without some kind of descriptive verbage....  Is that up here somewhere?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

You can't just post that without some kind of descriptive verbage....  Is that up here somewhere?

Haha sorry that pic is a bit deceiving, it’s only about 4-5ft tall. On a deck rail. And shot from low angle. I didn’t realize it looked like a 15ft BxSunkha til just now! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Love them palms said:

it's one of his larger sizes. all the ones on the list are liners he has. he has the one I mentioned in 5g  also  5g BxPJC and a  BxPJT

Thanks!  any idea what he's charging for those? I can ask him directly if you'd prefer.  I imagine shipping adds a bit too.

6 hours ago, Fallen Munk said:

I have a couple of Bismarkia in Salem.  They are two years old from seed and only two strap leaves.  They only grow quick in the heat.  Mine have been growing at a glacial pace.

Yes I've read that they are slow when small anyway... but pick up speed (moderate to fast growth) later...like a lot of palms I guess.   Heat and sun would certainly help...my quandry is how to address protection when larger (and they do get large).  

27 minutes ago, MarkbVet said:

Thanks!  any idea what he's charging for those? I can ask him directly if you'd prefer.  I imagine shipping adds a bit too.

That 5gal BxPJT is probably a beast. My jxb 5gal could have been in a 20 gal and not looked too small. I think the shipping on my 5gal was like 105 or 125? Something in that range. 

Edited by NWpalms@206

16 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

That 5gal BxPJT is probably a beast. My jxb 5gal could have been in a 20 gal and not looked too small. 

I'll have to ask him what he's got in 5 gal.   :-)

11 hours ago, MarkbVet said:

Curious too. I’d like to get a bigger JxB from him.

On 1/31/2022 at 8:42 PM, MarkbVet said:

On 2/1/2022 at 8:00 AM, RJ said:

Curious too. I’d like to get a bigger JxB from him.

Anything cool on the way yet?!

1 hour ago, NWpalms@206 said:

I  have 2 4x10 Butia yatay x Queen and a 5g BJxBQ coming from Patric .should be here in a couple days 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Love them palms said:

I  have 2 4x10 Butia yatay x Queen and a 5g BJxBQ coming from Patric .should be here in a couple days 

Nice! post pics when you can!

Just now, NWpalms@206 said:

Nice! post pics when you can!

yes I will. can't wait to see how the BJxBQ looks 

2 minutes ago, Love them palms said:

yes I will. can't wait to see how the BJxBQ looks 

I think i may inquire about that as well, do you know if he had more of that 5gal bjxbq? and what was the cost of that one if you dont mind my asking?

28 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

I think i may inquire about that as well, do you know if he had more of that 5gal bjxbq? and what was the cost of that one if you dont mind my asking?

175 + 105 shipping 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Love them palms said:

175 + 105 shipping 

Right on thanks. Same as my 5gal JubxButia was, which is well worth it for the size. Waiting on a response now hope there is another one!

4 hours ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Patrick said he'd get back to me, haven't heard yet.  Just got a baby C. humilis 'vulcano' arrival.  

1 hour ago, MarkbVet said:

Patrick said he'd get back to me, haven't heard yet.  Just got a baby C. humilis 'vulcano' arrival.  

That’s another one I’d like. Kinda Hope you get that BxPJT because I like to live vicariously through others palm pics, Mines not very impressive….YET! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MarkbVet said:

Is that coming from Patrick?

1 hour ago, Love them palms said:

first of 2 shipments from Patrick. 2 Butia yatay x Queen 

Nice choice. I’m liking the yatay x Queen. Like mine, yours are about busting out of the pots ready for the earth. 

3 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

Is that coming from Patrick?

No, it came from Desertscape in Oregon.   Nice little plant, looks definitely 'vulcano' type. 

16 hours ago, Love them palms said:

I had this bjxbq until this summer. It’s an interesting looking palm. For some reason mine got crown rot over the summer and died. 

9 hours ago, RJ said:

I had this bjxbq until this summer. It’s an interesting looking palm. For some reason mine got crown rot over the summer and died. 

Just got my 5g BJXBS today  Jubaea side looks strong from the leaf tips. why are Patrick Schafer 5g so nice and big. just love the generous portions:D

20220205_112505.jpg

20220205_112531.jpg

20220205_112545.jpg

20220205_112556.jpg

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Love them palms said:

Just got my 5g BJXBS today  Jubaea side looks strong from the leaf tips. why are Patrick Schafer 5g so nice and big. just love the generous portions:D20220205_112505.jpg

That palm is super sweet!

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

42 minutes ago, Allen said:

That palm is super sweet!

it is a nice looking one. Patrick Schafer has some beauties 

19 minutes ago, Love them palms said:

it is a nice looking one. Patrick Schafer has some beauties 

Wow.. nice palm. It is very beautiful, indeed!

On 2/4/2022 at 8:24 AM, NWpalms@206 said:

I order  a B/J x S and Brahea moorei.

7 minutes ago, Trustandi said:

Wow.. nice palm. It is very beautiful, indeed!

I order  a B/J x S and Brahea moorei.

Nice! Pics when they arrive! His B/Jx S, 4x10” are very nice, the one on the right. 

ABE53560-85FC-4998-9117-C6C931A7FF4A.jpeg

Edited by NWpalms@206
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Love them palms said:

Just got my 5g BJXBS today  Jubaea side looks strong from the leaf tips. why are Patrick Schafer 5g so nice and big. just love the generous portions:D

20220205_112505.jpg

20220205_112531.jpg

20220205_112545.jpg

20220205_112556.jpg

It’s got hooked leaftips and armed petioles. Very nice balance of B and J. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

It’s got hooked leaftips and armed petioles. Very nice balance of B and J. 

very nice trunk as well. trying to figure more Butia or Jubaea side 

7 hours ago, Love them palms said:

20220205_112505.jpg

20220205_112531.jpg

20220205_112545.jpg

20220205_112556.jpg

This is flat out envious! Absolutely glorious. I wish I had the room for this one. goodness! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dartolution said:

This is flat out envious! Absolutely glorious. I wish I had the room for this one. goodness! 

it is a beautiful tree.one of Patricks finest 

• Like 1