IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubaea x butia yatay

NWpalms@206

Does anyone have pictures of bigger jubaea x yatay? We’ve all liked the opposite yatay x jubaea but I can seem to find pics of the former… 

EA2EAAC9-7C3B-40BF-AC59-6658203B55BA.jpeg

E35F386C-A8EB-48A0-AE52-2D5014E7913D.jpeg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RJ said:

I’ve got a ~5g or so one. Not in the ground however. 

Have a pic? 

1 hour ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Have a pic? 

here's my pic. from Patric Shafer 2 years ago. one of the winners from the artic blast in Mukilteo wa 

20220108_123004.jpg

20220108_123021.jpg

20220108_123027.jpg

Edited by Love them palms
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Love them palms said:

here's my pic. from Patric Shafer 2 years ago. one of the winners from the artic blast in Mukilteo wa 

20220108_123004.jpg

20220108_123021.jpg

20220108_123027.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Love them palms said:

20220119_151605.jpg

Both of those JxBY? Very nice palms! I can see a little variation between them. Are they same age, same planting time? 

3 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Both of those JxBY? Very nice palms! I can see a little variation between them. Are they same age, same planting time? 

this one is a Jubaea x Queen. the other is  Jubaea x Butia yatay 

20220119_151605.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Love them palms said:

this one is a Jubaea x Queen. the other is  Jubaea x Butia yatay

Ahh roger that. Someday I’ll find one. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Ahh roger that. Someday I’ll find one. 

NW Palmscapes And Exotics on FB is looking for people to get some. guess he knows where some 20g are.but he has to get enough people to purchase some to make his trip worth while 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Love them palms said:

NW Palmscapes And Exotics on FB is looking for people to get some. guess he knows where some 20g are.but he has to get enough people to purchase some to make his trip worth while 

Messaged on Facebook and voicemail. Hopefully I’m not too late already. Did he mention how much for the 20g? I’ll do two if helps make the trip happen, and if they’re not too expensive. 

he has to hear back from his source. it's the same one where I got both of my 15g..I'm still waiting as well to find out pricing. I want 2 as well. the 2 that I have now survived the artic blast @11F  with just a frost cloth so I truly believe they are great for us up in the PNW.

37 minutes ago, Love them palms said:

he has to hear back from his source. it's the same one where I got both of my 15g..I'm still waiting as well to find out pricing. I want 2 as well. the 2 that I have now survived the artic blast @11F  with just a frost cloth so I truly believe they are great for us up in the PNW.

He responded, cost unknown still but I said if the price is right I’ll do 2. Meaning like 3-400 each. Hoping they aren’t like 600 a pop. Can’t spend 1000+ as much as I’d like to think the wife might send me to palm addicts anonymous.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Love them palms said:

If you don’t mind my asking, what was a 15 gal going for? 

I’m curious of the three which is fastest to slowest growing (you have all three correct?) 

Jubaea x syagrus 

jubaea x yatay 

yatay x jubaea 

9 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

If you don’t mind my asking, what was a 15 gal going for? 

about 680 is what I paid. they are a collectors palm. it hurt to pay that price but it's worth it knowing they can survive up here in the PNW 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

I’m curious of the three which is fastest to slowest growing (you have all three correct?) 

Jubaea x syagrus 

jubaea x yatay 

yatay x jubaea 

my Jubaea x Butia yatay  has put on good size in 2 years. the Jubaea x Queen is faster though. the yatay x Jubaea died on me

Just now, Love them palms said:

about 680 is what I paid. they are a collectors palm. it hurt to pay that price but it's worth it knowing they can survive up here in the PNW 

Sheesh ok. Well I can’t say I’m surprised, probably expect $800 or more palm then. Yikes. Probably just 1 for me then. It’ll be the prized palm possession! 

my Jubaea x Butia yatay  has put on good size in 2 years. the Jubaea x Queen is faster though. the yatay x Jubaea died on me

Was that young that the yatay x jub died, or from weather? 

17 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

He responded, cost unknown still but I said if the price is right I’ll do 2. Meaning like 3-400 each. Hoping they aren’t like 600 a pop. Can’t spend 1000+ as much as I’d like to think the wife might send me to palm addicts anonymous.  

my wife knows I'm an addicted palm grower :floor:

Just now, NWpalms@206 said:

Got a trunk shot of the jub x syag?

there you go. leaves are tough as regular Jubaea as well 

20220114_163117.jpg

• Like 3

my wife knows I'm an addicted palm grower :floor:

Haha ya mines a real good sport, we spent honeymoon and 10yr in Hawaii and she appreciates my palm jungle. We bought 3acres and built in 2019 I’m just getting to the landscaping, Its a blank slate and perfect south facing sandy, sloped, PNW palm oasis! But we got a baby coming may so I should probably control myself a little. Although I broke and just got several Patrick palms delivered couple days ago. I just will keep the price of the jub x syag to myself! 

• Like 2

Do you happen to know who the original hybridizer is of them? It’s for sure not Patrick’s palms that he sold to a distributor? I know he’s got a few distributors he supplies (or has supplied) To be honest the price tag would feel better if they were traced to Patrick. 

• Like 1

Just now, NWpalms@206 said:

Do you happen to know who the original hybridizer is of them? It’s for sure not Patrick’s palms that he sold to a distributor? I know he’s got a few distributors he supplies (or has supplied) To be honest the price tag would feel better if they were traced to Patrick. 

that I do not know, only Dave would know that answer. 

Just now, Love them palms said:

that I do not know, only Dave would know that answer. 

Hmm I’ll ask him, be nice to know whoever it is. I came across this… San Diego area… it’s old thread but he may have been onto to something that was continued. Unfortunate the pics don’t load on my iPhone so I can’t see the photos. 

318378D7-6B6F-4B52-904B-EEC7D33745D0.png

• Like 1

Dave said not sure of original source but I let him know that I’d love to find out.  Side note: his takil come from Gary Gragg. I follow him on YouTube seems to know his stuff. 

Edited by NWpalms@206
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Dave said not sure of original source but I let him know that I’d love to find out.  Side note: his takil come from Gary Gragg. I follow him on YouTube seems to know his stuff. 

Dave is very Knowledgeable when it comes to Palms and exotics. he had a great mentor by the name of Wally who has passed a while back. but Dave has taught me all I know. he also put in my palm bed. he also just posted a YouTube video yesterday on my yard. check it out 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

here's his latest on my place 

• Like 2

Hmm I’ll ask him, be nice to know whoever it is. I came across this… San Diego area… it’s old thread but he may have been onto to something that was continued. Unfortunate the pics don’t load on my iPhone so I can’t see the photos. 

318378D7-6B6F-4B52-904B-EEC7D33745D0.png

could be the ones

So that begs the question, can you mix male pollen and pollenate female flowers?  I'm sure the DNA would be a crapshoot even moreso than the conventional route.  But could you get a JuButiagrus in just one generation by mixing donor pollen?  Or intentionally get Syagrus traits by mixing pollen?

@Love them palms you saw 11f up at your place!?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jesse PNW said:

So that begs the question, can you mix male pollen and pollenate female flowers?  I'm sure the DNA would be a crapshoot even moreso than the conventional route.  But could you get a JuButiagrus in just one generation by mixing donor pollen?  Or intentionally get Syagrus traits by mixing pollen?

@Love them palms you saw 11f up at your place!?  

11F was the coldest it got in my area but the wind chill put it around about 5. I'm surprised about the amount of trees that survived 

2 hours ago, Love them palms said:

here's his latest on my place 

Nice place and garden you got. Bet your ready for some sun like me. Excited to see all your stuff grow through the summer. I’ve got a lot of what you got goin on. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Love them palms said:

Dave is very Knowledgeable when it comes to Palms and exotics. he had a great mentor by the name of Wally who has passed a while back. but Dave has taught me all I know. he also put in my palm bed. he also just posted a YouTube video yesterday on my yard. check it out 

That's funny I just told him the other day he needed to shoot more videos.  Guess he listened.

Wow  I just watched it and you had a lot of damage, what a shame.   I hope you don't lose anything too valuable.  It's odd that the Cordyline looked totally fine, I would've expected damage on it before some of those palms.

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 1

Nice place and garden you got. Bet your ready for some sun like me. Excited to see all your stuff grow through the summer. I’ve got a lot of what you got goin on. 

oh yeah.Im very tired of this winter garbage. Hopefully have an early spring this year. we haven't had one for ages. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Messaged on Facebook and voicemail. Hopefully I’m not too late already. Did he mention how much for the 20g? I’ll do two if helps make the trip happen, and if they’re not too expensive. 

I messaged on facebook and email... they'll have to be shipped to me though, so size and cost are a factor.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Chester B said:

That's funny I just told him the other day he needed to shoot more videos.  Guess he listened.

Wow  I just watched it and you had a lot of damage, what a shame.   I hope you don't lose anything too valuable.  It's odd that the Cordyline looked totally fine, I would've expected damage on it before some of those palms.

Exactly... weird huh?  Unless protected?

• Like 2