IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Weather stations

NWpalms@206

Any suggestions on a good weather monitoring system? I need one with multiple remote or sensors and with good range (3 acres). Amazon has so many cheap ones I was hoping for any good experiences, or  brands to look for/avoid. Thanks 

Clarify whether you are looking for a 'weather station' or temperature/humidity monitoring.  The call them both weather stations on Amazon but I think of a weather station as the ones that have wind speed, rain monitoring and forecast capability.  

Edited by Allen
  • Upvote 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

I have an Accurite 5in1 weather station for my yard and with an extra temp/humidity sensor to monitor my greenhouse. Works great and I love being able to see the weather from my phone. I’ve had both for almost 5 years now with 0 issues, other than changing batteries on occasion. My yard is only .25 acre, so I’m not sure how the range would be on a bigger property. My greenhouse is in the back corner of my backyard and the data receiver is in the front of my house and it transmits fine. 

46FF5495-9181-4ED2-8009-88FAAA460F5E.png

• Like 3

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

2 hours ago, Allen said:

Clarify whether you are looking for a 'weather station' or temperature/humidity monitoring.  The call them both weather stations on Amazon but I think of a weather station as the ones that have wind speed, rain monitoring and forecast capability.  

I’m talking about a digital weather station that will monitor and record temperature, humidity, rainfall, wind… remotely, and forecast would be optional, I have weather apps for my local area. But I want to monitor and record data from several reference points. Will be used to Identify micro climates and monitor said areas. 

Edited by NWpalms@206
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ShadyDan said:

I have an Accurite 5in1 weather station for my yard and with an extra temp/humidity sensor to monitor my greenhouse. Works great and I love being able to see the weather from my phone. I’ve had both for almost 5 years now with 0 issues, other than changing batteries on occasion. My yard is only .25 acre, so I’m not sure how the range would be on a bigger property. My greenhouse is in the back corner of my backyard and the data receiver is in the front of my house and it transmits fine. 

46FF5495-9181-4ED2-8009-88FAAA460F5E.png

Hey thanks! I’ll look into that range spec… sounds like it’s been solid. 

• Like 1

I have had this one for almost 5 years and I like it...it does not have multiple sensors(you may need to get a separate

unit for that and buying a cheap one is not a great plan,I do know that much but not much more there) this thing

has worked well but one issue was that the computer interface(which was not cheap) quit working almost

immediately which was a drag.

https://www.scientificsales.com/Davis-6250-Vantage-Vue-Wireless-Weather-Station-p/6250.htm?gclid=CjwKCAiAlrSPBhBaEiwAuLSDUE_Q4JwvuSdDK0PrBIs2fBNZm9re9WrReZ8--JpobV9Gi0Z25TJKLhoCbWIQAvD_BwE

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimhardy said:

I have had this one for almost 5 years and I like it...it does not have multiple sensors(you may need to get a separate

unit for that and buying a cheap one is not a great plan,I do know that much but not much more there) this thing

has worked well but one issue was that the computer interface(which was not cheap) quit working almost

immediately which was a drag.

https://www.scientificsales.com/Davis-6250-Vantage-Vue-Wireless-Weather-Station-p/6250.htm?gclid=CjwKCAiAlrSPBhBaEiwAuLSDUE_Q4JwvuSdDK0PrBIs2fBNZm9re9WrReZ8--JpobV9Gi0Z25TJKLhoCbWIQAvD_BwE

That one seems pretty complicated, although I’m sure a good instrument of science. I’d prefer something relatively simple and user friendly.  Basically exactly as I described above, and ok with  operating through a phone or iPad app. Would actually prefer it I got an iPad Pro, for my GoPro last year for Hawaii diving. And I need to use that thing more! 

Ambient Weather makes a good product. WS-2902C or WS-2000 are two good ones. Basically the same, but the WS-2000 can add a few more sensors for temp/humidity, lighting, or soil moisture and has a better display.

Edited by ColdBonsai
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NWpalms@206 said:

That one seems pretty complicated, although I’m sure a good instrument of science. I’d prefer something relatively simple and user friendly.  Basically exactly as I described above, and ok with  operating through a phone or iPad app. Would actually prefer it I got an iPad Pro, for my GoPro last year for Hawaii diving. And I need to use that thing more! 

I definitely know what you mean,it was a little bit of a pain to set up

but mostly because I have issues with directions,esp when there a lot of them :D

The ones you can check in on with your phone sound pretty cool, unless your 20 miles away

and notice the pressure is 28.50 and suddenly the screen goes blank before you can look at the wind speed.:badday:

Edited by Jimhardy