IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Washy protection :

WSimpson

51829478957_bf0e77df4e_b.jpg

It was already looking rough after a 20F and a 3"  heavy snow . Then I had another snow which was mainly was sleet came through . Now  I'm seeing anywhere from 13F to 17F within a week so I decided to put on the protection . 

It's just Xmas lights and a layer of blankets and some mulch at the base . I'll only need the protection on  it below 16F but I might turn it on in late winter to force early growth . The top is open a little so it can grow when it gets milder . 

Will

51829479642_d48261232f_b.jpg

Edited by Will Simpson
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Getting big!

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Thanks Allen .

I'm not sure I needed to protect it now . No biggie , but I'm seeing one weather site only getting to down to 19F here for the next week . Well if it turns out I didn't need to protect it now ,  I can force growth in the late winter so it will look better earlier in the spring . 

Will

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, EJ NJ said:

Cool I will do that when I get some washys in the ground!

It's really easy . Just make sure you use incandescent Xmas lights  and not LED lights that don't add much warmth  .  You may want to wrap your lights a little tighter than  me and add another layer of blankets ? 

Test the temperature under the blankets   too  so you'll  know how warm it's getting under the blankets and how much above the outside temperature it gets under there   . 

Will

Edited by Will Simpson

25 minutes ago, Will Simpson said:

Thanks Allen .

I'm not sure I needed to protect it now . No biggie , but I'm seeing one weather site only getting to down to 19F here for the next week . Well if it turns out I didn't need to protect it now ,  I can force growth in the late winter so it will look better earlier in the spring . 

Will

Did you cut all fronds except spear?

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

I finally sucked it up and decided to protect by Trachycarpus, this is its first winter. If my forecasts are anything like yours, I see a range of minimum lows, also centering around 13.0 F.

So what I did was first tie the fronds up, using jute rope (thereby insulating and protecting the spear), Then, I wrapped a a shower curtain around the plant and bungeed it. Then, then I wrapped two strands of incandescent Christmas lights (the LED's don't generate much heat as said above).  I had forgotten I had saved these, as everything is LED today. Then, I wrapped blankets around the palm and bungeed them.  I did not wrap them that tightly, as I wanted to allow some air flow/ventilation. Then, I placed a black, plastic garbage can over the top.  On the ground around the plant, I stacked some bags of black mulch I had laying around.  I purposely separated the plant from the lights with the blankets and some shower curtain as I did not want to burn the plant.  You would be quite surprised if you knew how much heat those little bulbs generate. I am waiting for weather to get cold (near 50 F. today under sunny conditions).    Sure it will be milder than forecast now that it's been mummified. 

Edited by oasis371
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Allen said:

Did you cut all fronds except spear?

Yes , all the fronds were going to bronze out anyway , and it's a lot easier to wrap lights around it without a bunch of dead fronds hanging out . All the new growth in the spring will be pretty too , and there won't be old fronds hanging off it looking like crap .

My forecast has moved to the lowest temp being 19F so I may not have needed to protect it . As I said , it can still help it force growth late winter . 

Edited by Will Simpson
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, oasis371 said:

I finally sucked it up and decided to protect by Trachycarpus, this is its first winter. If my forecasts are anything like yours, I see a range of minimum lows, also centering around 13.0 F.

So what I did was first tie the fronds up, using jute rope (thereby insulating and protecting the spear), Then, I wrapped a a shower curtain around the plant and bungeed it. Then, then I wrapped two strands of incandescent Christmas lights (the LED's don't generate much heat as said above).  I had forgotten I had saved these, as everything is LED today. Then, I wrapped blankets around the palm and bungeed them.  I did not wrap them that tightly, as I wanted to allow some air flow/ventilation. Then, I placed a black, plastic garbage can over the top.  On the ground around the plant, I stacked some bags of black mulch I had laying around.  I purposely separated the plant from the lights with the blankets and some shower curtain as I did not want to burn the plant.  You would be quite surprised if you knew how much heat those little bulbs generate. I am waiting for weather to get cold (near 50 F. today under sunny conditions).    Sure it will be milder than forecast now that it's been mummified. 

Sounds like some good protection .

I get new incandescent Xmas lights from 1000Bulbs.com . They aren't as hot as the old lights , but give a nice amount of heat out that doesn't burn the plants . 

I remember the old lights would be too hot to touch . The new ones just get warm .

I'm seeing my lowest Lows move more  towards 19F , oh well , protecting it  will help force growth in the late winter , so it was worth it . Plus the peace of mind I have now knowing that I'm ready for anything . 

Will

Edited by Will Simpson

Will, not sure which one I used, they weren't that ancient.  But when I had used them before, was surprised that there was some burning where the bulb touched the plant. I might have used bubble wrap that year, but I think fabric is better as it breathes and think some ventilation is still important..., worry about fungal issues. My personal opinion is that I would refrain from using them in late winter to encourage growth, as that new growth will be more tender to severe cold. Good luck!

P.S., I see this job eventually gets more labor intensive as they grow, LOL.

The fronds are hardy to 23F so once it's late February I typically won't get anything that low again for the winter season . So I can start pushing growth without any issues , and if the new growth gets burnt a little , that's no biggie . 

Will

WOW! That's far more than I'd be willing to do. At my age, I'm done with ladders especially over 6', and juggling a canopy of thorny palm fronds over my head. Have you had to do this before? It looks sizable and probably had to manage some cold before.

2 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

WOW! That's far more than I'd be willing to do. At my age, I'm done with ladders especially over 6', and juggling a canopy of thorny palm fronds over my head. Have you had to do this before? It looks sizable and probably had to manage some cold before.

I have had to protect it before , but it puts on 1-2' of trunk a year , so it wasn't problematic a few years ago . I wish it was more Filifera that wouldn't grow tall so fast .  Within 4 four years I will have to do something drastic like sell it or give it away to someone ?

Will

This is in Tulsa Oklahoma, these Washingtonia hybrids survived 10 years being wrapped with home insulation and then plastic wrap during winter and put on good size. Unfortunately died this past winter when ground was frozen for days 

4543BD81-740D-44EE-AE89-F64A29E17EF8.png

C02DD77A-09E4-45FB-9007-A5DBD865189B.png