IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Suspected Jubaea X B. odorata

Fallen Munk

Purchased a strap leaf seedling about a year ago that was believed to be pure Jubaea.  It's clearly a hybrid with strong Butia influence.  The growth has been phenomenal.  I just potted it up to 15 gallon in less than one year.

jubaea16.jpg

jubx2.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Chester B said:

Are you going to have room for all these palms?

Not a chance.  Gonna grow them all up until I run out of room and then start selling them off.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fallen Munk said:

Not a chance.  Gonna grow them all up until I run out of room and then start selling them off.

I may be your buyer.  I have a feeling I'm going to be moving to a smaller place in the next couple of years, and will have to start all over again.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chester B said:

I may be your buyer.  I have a feeling I'm going to be moving to a smaller place in the next couple of years, and will have to start all over again.

I should have quite the jungle in a couple of years so hit me up when you are ready.

@Chester B that's sad, so much time and effort.  Not to mention money! It seems like there are a lot of us who do the same thing. 

I plan on moving but want to make my own Eden here just in case plans change.  In fact part of me wants to stay.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Fallen Munk said:

Purchased a strap leaf seedling about a year ago that was believed to be pure Jubaea.  It's clearly a hybrid with strong Butia influence.  The growth has been phenomenal.  I just potted it up to 15 gallon in less than one year.

jubaea16.jpg

jubx2.jpg

Where did  you happen to purchase this beauty? I live in Raleigh NC and I can't find any Jubaea x butia hybrids. I've seen a few online but those are huge and really expensive. 

28 minutes ago, knikfar said:

Where did  you happen to purchase this beauty? I live in Raleigh NC and I can't find any Jubaea x butia hybrids. I've seen a few online but those are huge and really expensive. 

I got two of them from @matthedlund in Washington state.  I won't mention the price I paid because he did me a favor.  His website is: https://www.wanderlustnursery.com/

Looks pretty hybrid, almost even B x J, but I Imagine Matt knows the difference between Jubaea and butia seeds. Did he germinate or did he get them as seedlings? Gotten his opinion on it? 

1 minute ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Looks pretty hybrid, almost even B x J, but I Imagine Matt knows the difference between Jubaea and butia seeds. Did he germinate or did he get them as seedlings? Gotten his opinion on it? 

Yes, I messaged him.  He got Jubaea seeds from one of his suppliers.  I'm assuming they just looked like regular Jubaea seeds before he germinated them.  No complaints here,  it's a beautiful specimen.

10 minutes ago, Fallen Munk said:

Yes, I messaged him.  He got Jubaea seeds from one of his suppliers.  I'm assuming they just looked like regular Jubaea seeds before he germinated them.  No complaints here,  it's a beautiful specimen.

Ya I mean how would you tell if a seed has been hybrid pollinated? I sure as hell wouldn’t know. Right on, he’s a nice guy, figured probably would appreciate the feedback. Definitely a Beautiful palm though, I wouldn’t complain either! Very nice 

• Like 1

I was actually planning on buying one of the seedling jubaeas from him soon, but looks like maybe he’s got a hybrid on his hands. Or some at least. If even the same batch of seedlings. I was at his place a few weeks ago. 

7 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

I was actually planning on buying one of the seedling jubaeas from him soon, but looks like maybe he’s got a hybrid on his hands. Or some at least. If even the same batch of seedlings. I was at his place a few weeks ago. 

He says he has a few seed suppliers and it appears that one of the suppliers must have Butia nearby.  I assume it is hard to tell the seedlings apart until they go pinnate.  I raised this one up for a year until I looked at it the other day and realized it looked so similar to my Patrix hybrids.

49 minutes ago, Fallen Munk said:

He says he has a few seed suppliers and it appears that one of the suppliers must have Butia nearby.  I assume it is hard to tell the seedlings apart until they go pinnate.  I raised this one up for a year until I looked at it the other day and realized it looked so similar to my Patrix hybrids.

Which is not a bad thing! It would still be 6” tall if it was pure Jubaea 

• Like 1

48 hrs of hybrid vigor lol. Even jubaea dominant hybrids are soooo much faster. JxB over an inch and a half of spear push since wed night. (Sharpie mark)

AED3A5C7-7073-4A12-97FB-356FCD24482C.png

207F7FEB-4193-4401-99E3-4ACBE882C27B.jpeg

Edited by NWpalms@206
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NWpalms@206 said:

I mean how would you tell if a seed has been hybrid pollinated?

From what I understand hybrid seeds look just like what the mother palm (listed first in the hybrid designation) would normally produce so there's no way of knowing until it grows up.  So @Fallen Munk is probably right assuming that it is Jubaea x Butia if it is indeed a hybrid sold as Jubaea that was grown from a Jubaea-looking seed.  I think that's one of the reasons for the high price of hybrids - the hybridizer has to go through a lot of effort to emasculate all of the male flowers and also prevent additional unwanted male pollen contaminating the female flowers.  If a mistake is made in the process of producing BxJ hybrids the hybridizer could unknowingly sell a plain Butia as a BxJ.

• Like 3

Jon Sunder

15 hours ago, Chester B said:

Damn!   Shame if u gotta leave em behind!   That's why I'm keeping everything in pots for 4-5 years,  despite the urge to put them in the ground; will pot up to larger containers and fertilize 'n water them well in summer, hope to get good growth before I plant.  Once they're in the ground I'm not moving again ever!!   I'll even try to take my sizable Butia odorata with me when I move; should transplant ok I hope, though it will be big in 5 years lol.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MarkbVet said:

Damn!   Shame if u gotta leave em behind!   That's why I'm keeping everything in pots for 4-5 years,  despite the urge to put them in the ground; will pot up to larger containers and fertilize 'n water them well in summer, hope to get good growth before I plant.  Once they're in the ground I'm not moving again ever!!   I'll even try to take my sizable Butia odorata with me when I move; should transplant ok I hope, though it will be big in 5 years lol.  

I’m not sure if it will happen but life sometimes gets in the way or alters your course. A smaller house but a bigger yard would be the plan.  I’m almost 6 years at this place which is the longest I’ve ever been at one location since I was kid. Who knows we may even end up neighbors down south. More hot weather means more time outside and I’d be happy with that. I’d bring a few select palms but I’m still young enough to start over with all that I’ve learned at this place. 

• Like 2

@MarkbVet That's where I'm at... I have the opportunity to retire from my current job in 7 years.   I'll be free to move where I want, even South Florida if I so desire.  I wonder how big my Schaefer hybrids and Lytocaryum will be by then. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chester B said:

I’m not sure if it will happen but life sometimes gets in the way or alters your course. A smaller house but a bigger yard would be the plan.  I’m almost 6 years at this place which is the longest I’ve ever been at one location since I was kid. Who knows we may even end up neighbors down south. More hot weather means more time outside and I’d be happy with that. I’d bring a few select palms but I’m still young enough to start over with all that I’ve learned at this place. 

Yup if u have time on your side!   Once I move I don't plan on moving again, which is an advantage plant wise.  On the other hand, fewer decades to watch em grow.  Ah well, father time does what he wishes,  I just tag along (and try to not get run over).  

Edited by MarkbVet
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MarkbVet said:

Yup if u have time on your side!   Once I move I don't plan on moving again, which is an advantage plant wise.  

That's my situation now.  Told the wife I'm never moving again......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scott W said:

That's my situation now.  Told the wife I'm never moving again......

He-he-he-he-he! :greenthumb: