IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Washy Concerns

JohnAndSancho

Hey y'all, 

My Washy, Dirty Sanchez - every new frond is coming in shorter and shorter. It's been going on for a couple months now. We haven't had any heavy cold snaps yet - it did drop down to the high 20s for a few hours, but this was going on even before then. Any ideas as to why? It's got some bent fronds from wind, but other than that it's been a pretty solid growing plant until maybe November or so.  I don't over water or over feed it, all the other plants on my patio seem happy so I don't think it's a fungal or pest issue unless it's something specific to Washies regionally. 

Thoughts? 

20220113_160830.jpg

16 minutes ago, Jimhardy said:

They are one palm that likes to be over potted ...with good drainage.

That was a thought I had too. It's in a 14"  "self watering" pot and it's got roots into the water reservoir. I've got lots of stuff that needs to be repotted in spring. 

I have seen this before in response to cold damage to the spear. Is it possible it's from a previous growing season?  Good news, it that it will eventually revert to normal growth.  I had this happen with both Phoenix roebellini and Butia capitata..., and both reverted, eventually to normal growth.

Edited by oasis371
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, oasis371 said:

I have seen this before in response to cold damage to the spear. Is it possible it's from a previous growing season?  Good news, it that it will eventually revert to normal growth.  I had this happen with both Phoenix roebellini and Butia capitata..., and both reverted, eventually to normal growth.

It was outside during the first snow we got last winter, and it did get snowed on - but it was brought inside for Snowmageddon. After the first snow I wrapped it in a flannel sheet to keep frost out of the growing point. It got the flannel sheet last week when we had the 26 degree temps too. 

This makes sense though, since I bring everything else inside when we're forecast for a hard freeze. The Washie is really heavy though, and takes up so much space even though I've got a wheeled dolly under it. Wasn't an issue during Snowpacalypse since I camped out at work for that (I manage a hotel). According to neighbors and friends, these apartments stayed between 37-40 degrees indoors despite the extended power loss. But like @Jimhardy said, it's probably rootbound too. I know the tap root has gone to the bottom of the pot, and I've got 3 or 4 palms outside that are starting to push themselves up from the bottom of their pots. 

Thanks for the feedback. Btw I'm in SE TX roughly half way between Houstom and Dallas if that's relevant. 

Edited by JohnAndSancho

I misspoke - seedling is in it's third year

The Phoenix dactylifera is Sexually mature Male and  have collected pollen for two years - did not suffer even leaf burn.  Another Dactylifera (also mature male) also did not have any damage but another one just 40 yards away did suffer some leaf burn but otherwise unharmed.  Baby Eophyl single leaf (entire) seedlings from date seeds suffered no damage whatsoever and completely covered with snow (at least four)  Also other baby Washingtonia f. no damage whatsoever.

Should note had also at least 6 seedling Trachycarpus latisectus buried in this snow.  They suffered absolutely NO damage whatsoever.

However I had to dig them up and take them with me when I sold property.  (no way I was letting them go)  and they spent last summer in 120+ temps for weeks on end.

That was far more tortuous for them - burning some of their edges a little... but they are doing well now that it's colder.  (was in zone 8b now in a zone 9a pocket in Nevada)

No worries for Washingtonia but bougainvillea not going to make it. Dactylifera no problem but my Archontophoenix bit the dust even in the shade after too many weeks of 120 plus....

Edited by rogets395

Just to clarify -

Is it possible that my Washy is throwing super short new fronds based on me stupidly wanting a pic of it in the first snow sometime between Dec 2020 and Jan 2021? It was inside during palmageddon in Feb 2021 as I stayed at work during the massive freeze/die off event. 

Wild that it would take so long to show damage but I'm not a scientist or an expert, I'm just a dork growing plants on his patio.  

Bump. 

Could it have taken 9-10 months for Dirty Sanchez to react to snow/frost potentially entering the growth point? I'm trying to learn.