• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

IPS Hawaiian Biennial 'save the date' roll call!

Mandrew968

The updates I'm hearing about pricing for this trip is sadly going to mean that we will not be able to attend, :( a very sad day for me indeed. 

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

After looking at the prices for a trip like this, it was easy to decide that it is not where I want to spend this amount of money on. I understand that we're now in 2022 and prices for goods and services has gone up. But dang. This is quite an increase in cost compared to any of the other higher priced biennials. I will certainly miss the friendship 

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

On 2/27/2022 at 11:56 PM, ASHCVS said:

Hi Eve, 

The itinerary is complete, and fabulous. It will be posted soon. Registration details are also forthcoming in the next few weeks. I am thrilled to learn that you and Rob will be joining us. Hanging out with Rob is always a highlight for me at the biennials, ever since I met him in the wee hours of the morning at the airport in Singapore, on our voyage to Borneo. By the way, it was a privilege to tour your garden last November. 

Andy

It was great to show everyone around.

I am sad that Judy and I will not be able to attend the biennial in Hawaii. Calculating the airfare from the East Coast, we cannot justify the expense. We are going to miss getting together with friends from over the globe.

• Upvote 1

I hope I can get together with some of my FL friends either in PR or FL in 2022 although I will surely miss you in HI, Jim and Judy.

I literally budgeted for yearly travel in planning for retirement especially while I still have decent health and energy and can make the time.

I am thrifty overall. So I figure with no big travel since the last IPS Biennial, in theory I am actually staying within my retirement travel budget, just pushed into one trip.

Good news for me also as a quick Google flights search just now shows some decent options from Tampa at $607 round trip to HNL during the approximate days I hope to travel. Not too bad for as far as it is and the cost of gas.

I realize that does not account for leaving from the Big Island instead of HNL, but I am just beginning my search for the best deals which in my case are not likely from just considering PR to HNL quotes. I am willing to fly out of whatever city in the States that gives the best deal.

Of course I still need to get from PR to Tampa or wherever, but pretty sure I have airline points on SW to cover that.

I might even give in and sign up for another airline credit card if they give me a bunch of points soon enough to use towards that flight to HNL.

I always consider alternate flying dates too in retirement as sometimes the difference more than covers the extra lodging, for which I enjoy looking for bargains. I also try to avoid checking bags which saves me time, money and makes losing luggage very unlikely. 

I have looked a bit at some flights that promise an extended overnight layover in LAX since I have a family member who might help out with an overnight stop.

If I see any really good airfare deals from my neck of the woods I will share them here if you like. Some of us ending up on the flight together would be a bonus. 

Cindy Adair

Having blown much of my savings on home improvement projects the last several months, I can't justify spending for the registration fee, even though travel costs would be minimal. Much of the fee is to pay for the hotel in Hilo and I already have accommodations in the Hilo area. But I will probably fly to Honolulu and spend a couple nights at the Marriot so that I can attend the board meeting. Whether I can join the group at various meals or venues, and under what conditions, I will have to determine in discussions with the trip organizers.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Being from Hawaii and living here in San Diego for many years I have already toured every garden mentioned and others that are not on the list. Add the round trip flight and hotel costs makes it a no go for me as well. I can use that money elsewhere.

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Registration will open very soon.

I completely understand being on a tight budget, limited vacation time from work and having other pressing priorities, especially for those who used to live in Hawaii. I hope to meet you at a later date!

I recall hesitating (very briefly) when IPS meetings were scheduled in San Diego, Sarasota and South FL as I too had visited some of the scheduled stops. 

However seeing them again at different times of the year through the eyes of others, often with behind the scenes views and folks able to identify the many unlabeled plants made it a whole new experience!

I also love supporting the IPS mission statement of conservation, research and education (including PalmTalk) while enriching my own life with time spent with an amazing group of people, many of whom I now count on as lifelong friends.

To me this is priceless.

Please join us if you can.

Cindy Adair

Unfortunately I can’t justify the cost and won’t be making the trip. I was really looking forward to my first biennial and visiting Hawaii. Hopefully be able to make it in the future! I’m sure it will be a great trip for those that can make it.

To those unable to attend, so sorry, but good thing we have PT for virtual conversations when we can’t gather in the same physical location. 

I am in the process of signing up and will share a hint or two. Initial glitches with someone wanting a single, but the program asking for a second attendee’s name have been resolved, with two friends reporting singles registration success. 

Some HST figure removed, so if you saw that it is gone now. Taxes are all included!

When you put in your age, adjust the year first rather than the month or day.

I just wrote for payment links so roommates in my shared room can pay individually by credit card or whatever rather than one person paying and getting repaid by others.

Out of HI business hours, but I expect to hear back soon about that as I have been told already this can happen.

As to airfare, thanks to a lead from a PT friend, I see some nonstop flights on Hawaiian air from Orlando (MCO) to consider as well, for those on the US east coast. I am still mulling over arrival and departure dates (and if I can get to one more island) so not quite ready to buy.

Please consider sharing the link to the IPS website palms.org (once registration opens there) with friends who might enjoy traveling with us and supporting the IPS mission.

Two folks who are not certifiable palm nuts have already signed up at my suggestion.

If you want to go, but need/want a roommate I suspect there are folks here on PT that might be in the same position. You can private message me and with your permission I can perhaps connect you. 

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

Just to reiterate, guys-this is a role call. Not a reverse role call. We want enthusiasm about those who can and will be going to Hawaii, AND IN TURN, supporting tangible conservation and this educative society-which pays for this forum. I am happy to be going. And for what we are going to be seeing, doing, and eating-easily justified and well worth it.

• Like 1

Signed up! Excited for this Biennial Tour. There are some extraordinary gardens on this trip. 

Southwest is offering very reasonable fares from California right now.

• Like 2

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

On 4/9/2022 at 11:04 AM, Mandrew968 said:

Just to reiterate, guys-this is a role call. Not a reverse role call. We want enthusiasm about those who can and will be going to Hawaii, AND IN TURN, supporting tangible conservation and this educative society-which pays for this forum. I am happy to be going. And for what we are going to be seeing, doing, and eating-easily justified and well worth it.

This deserves repeating. There are few (if any) locations where you can and will see so many well grown species of palms in a week - in a part of the world that everyone should visit and experience at least once in their life. Several of these private gardens are spectacular world-class gardens, and some came whisker close to being lost forever during the recent eruption. Others weren't so lucky. 

But more significantly, the importance of continuing a tradition and supporting the mission that is the IPS can not be over emphasized. As Andrew reminded us, by attending you will have memories and meet people you will never forget, and will be "supporting tangible conservation and this educative society-which pays for this forum."

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

2 hours ago, PALM MOD said:

This deserves repeating. There are few (if any) locations where you can and will see so many well grown species of palms in a week - in a part of the world that everyone should visit and experience at least once in their life. Several of these private gardens are spectacular world-class gardens, and some came whisker close to being lost forever during the recent eruption. Others weren't so lucky. 

But more significantly, the importance of continuing a tradition and supporting the mission that is the IPS can not be over emphasized. As Andrew reminded us, by attending you will have memories and meet people you will never forget, and will be "supporting tangible conservation and this educative society-which pays for this forum."

Great point, Dean-not sure there are many places in the world where you can spend a week in tropical paradise, and see OVER 1000 species of palm tree-Florida can't say that...

I'm registered and very excited to focus on palms during this trip to HI, one of my favorite places on Earth.  I'm also very excited to interact with fellow palmophiles again, it's been since 2008 that I attended a Biennial.  

• Like 1

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

On 4/9/2022 at 5:04 PM, Mandrew968 said:

I travel to HI on both business and pleasure and you are completely correct, Mandrew968.  Last summer rooms in Hilo cost more for a week than this entire trip.  At one point, rental car companies wanted $400/day.  I know COVID drove demand and prices up, but still, this is a great value for this much time in HI...plus I get the camaraderie and a focus on palms, as well as food and transportation.  I'm really looking forward to this event.   I'm adding a photo for inspiration.

1B5A7810.png

• Like 1

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Aloha,

This is amazing!  Hoping everyone involved has an amazing time.  My question is....Is there a way to go to the tours and not the meals/lodging and such? I am lucky enough that I could walk to The Lyon Arboretum and have family in Hilo.   
So basically hoping to enjoy the tours with everyone!!  If no can, no can.  Enjoy the ALOHA

Jeff

Aloha Jeff, we are working on a few local options that will be available. They should be available in the coming weeks and I hope they are amenable to your needs and we get to have you aboard. 

• Like 1

For those wanting to take advantage of the lower shared Biennial room prices, I heard today that registration (with each person paying separately) is now easier. 

Also, I just had some sticker shock booking non resort type rooms and car rentals in NC and FL, plus gas, making the HI prices for paradise seem better.

Hoping to firm up flights to HI before those prices might jump up too. 

I am guessing the IPS will not return to HI again in my lifetime, so don’t miss this chance.

Cindy Adair

I'd be up to join up with any solo people/couples that want to sign up for a triple/quad.

We could potentially meet up beforehand too (I'm in California)

-Alan Tong

As a retired person (meaning more time than money) I took lots of that time before yesterday booking flights to HI from my little town in the mountains. I live more than two hours from the only “major”airport in Puerto Rico. 

However I found a $389 round trip on American to get me to and from LAX from San Juan and then used some SW points to get from there to HI.

Tricky timing all this with the $39 each way commuter flights to get me to San Juan stress free and in 30 minutes, but all done.

Google flight searches this time gave me an awful selection of many plane changes and unnecessary hours in the air and high prices and nothing fitting with the commuter flights. 

Working back from HI and checking many of each airline’s hub cities helped.

So any of you on the US east coast who may be on the fence about this trip due to adding in flight costs, check out all the options and you might decide to sign up after all.

I would be very happy to see you all there!

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

I wont be able to attend but ....

there are some 400~ fares from east coast right now...

Hawaii deals. For when you just need to scratch that poke and sunshine itch.

While most routes with United are regular economy, some are basic economy and do not include a full-size carry-on. It costs $60-$80 roundtrip to upgrade, if you want overhead bin space for these. A checked bag costs $30-$35 each way on all airlines. Also note that some routes may be available for a similar price on Southwest (which includes two checked bags), so be sure to compare prices on the Southwest website if you plan to check a bag.

Hi all.  VERY excited about the Hawaii trip!!!!  I see that the local flight from Honolulu to Hilo is included in the itinerary.  Is there a return flight to Honolulu that is also included?  Or does it make more sense to return home (Florida in my case) from Hilo?  I'm quote a novice on this topic so any information is appreciate!  :)

So glad you have signed up!!!

There is no return flight included to get you back to HNL from Hilo. 

However the flights are cheap and plentiful between islands and I believe there are some options direct from Hilo to CA at least.  

As I posted before, it is worth your time to look at lots of choices and maybe some PT readers from FL and/or HI will chime in as I was constrained by wanting commuter flight connections.

I know several people flying from the Miami area and others from Tampa and they would likely share their research results with you. 

If you private message me with your e-mail and real name (as some of these folks don’t follow PT) I can see if they want to reach out.

See you there!

Cindy Adair

Get 30% off these flights with code GOTROPICAL. This code expires on April 28th at midnight.

Southwest allows two checked bags for free. There is no formal seat assignment, you'll board based on your check-in time. Check-in starts 24 hours prior to departure. 

Thrifty Tip: This deal can also be booked with Rapid Rewards starting at ~17k points.

5 hours ago, Aqualight3 said:

Hi all.  VERY excited about the Hawaii trip!!!!  I see that the local flight from Honolulu to Hilo is included in the itinerary.  Is there a return flight to Honolulu that is also included?  Or does it make more sense to return home (Florida in my case) from Hilo?  I'm quote a novice on this topic so any information is appreciate!  :)

What airline are you using to arrive in Honolulu? Not many airlines fly in and out of Hilo -- only Hawaiian, United, and Southwest. If none of these, then you should book a round trip to Honolulu from your departure city, then purchase a separate one-way from Hilo to Honolulu, making sure you have enough time to transfer to the return flight home. So, for example, if you are flying Delta or Alaska, you book a round-trip flight from Florida, then add a one-way  from Hilo to Honolulu that will fit with your return flight home. Make sense?

Of course, if you want to extend your trip to spend time on the west side of the island, you could fly home from the Kona airport -- serviced by many more airlines. If you want some Hawaii beach time, that could be a good plan. This is done by using the "multi-city" booking option with your airline. Search using Florida --> Honolulu, and Kailua-Kona --> Florida.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Thank you, Cindy, Frank and Kim!  I appreciate your responses and input.  I looked into the flight options in much greater detail last evening and found that it will make the most sense to fly in and out of Honolulu and purchase a separate ticket on Hawaiian air for the trip back from Hilo ... as you suggested.  :)  Those flights seem to be plentiful and reasonably priced.  United has some really good flight options for me out of Ft. Myers, FL.  Not necessarily the cheapest options but good connecting flights.  Convenience does seem to have a price.  lol

Thanks again!  Looking forward to meeting you all in October!  Michael

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I am wanting to find out who I can talk to about the pre and post tours.  We have booked the Hawaii trip but not sure that includes the pre and post tours.  How much extra it is and where I can sign up for it. A person's contact details would be most helpful. Thanks

Ross and Carol Mylrea

Hi,

I have signed up for the Hawaii trip dated 9th -16th October.  I was wondering if there is any contact details so we know more about the pre and post tours.  I am not sure how to book those one and would like to know what we have to do.

Thanks

Ross and Carol Mylrea

On 5/18/2022 at 5:15 PM, ROSS MYLREA said:

Hi,

I have signed up for the Hawaii trip dated 9th -16th October.  I was wondering if there is any contact details so we know more about the pre and post tours.  I am not sure how to book those one and would like to know what we have to do.

Thanks

Ross and Carol Mylrea

Hi Ross and Carol -- I'm guessing you've already found the information you seek on the IPS website, but in case you have not, this link will take you to information about the Maui pre-tour. Also note the optional day trips during the main event on Friday Oct. 14th. You can always extend your stay on Hawaii Island and do quite a lot on your own. Examples: Manta Ray night dive/snorkel, daytime snorkel tour on a boat, visit the historical site Pu'uhonua O Honaunau, and much more. Or trip over to a different island for other experiences.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just wondering if there is a contact person and phone number  that I can talk to about this Hawaii trip.

I have booked from the trip so far but I am looking at the pre and post tours.  Would like to talk to someone directly if possible

15 hours ago, ROSS MYLREA said:

Hi,

Just wondering if there is a contact person and phone number  that I can talk to about this Hawaii trip.

I have booked from the trip so far but I am looking at the pre and post tours.  Would like to talk to someone directly if possible

Hi Ross,

Sorry for the slow reply.

First to my knowledge there are no IPS sponsored post tour options.

However  there is much to do if you arranged your own post tour, even heading to Kuaui to the National Tropical Botanic Garden or its amazing scenic hikes.

The contact name to ask for at Hawaii tours is Moa and the main phone number is 

808-379-3701.

Remember HI time zone.

My experience is that the folks answering that number leave a message for Moa and then he calls or emails if he is not immediately available.

If you have questions related to the included trips on Maui or other things to do on the free days please private message me.

Although I am not on the Biennial planning committee (nor have I been to Maui), I can try to get you answers or to put you in touch directly with an IPS member resident who has been very involved in the planning.

See you in October!

Cindy Adair