• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

IPS Hawaiian Biennial 'save the date' roll call!

Mandrew968

@iDesign -- I have no more insight into this than anyone else, other than that I have visited many gardens that might be included in the itinerary. On Oahu, the more challenging walking might be Lyon Arboretum (I don't know if it is included). Parts of it are easy walking and other parts when I last visited in 2014 might pose a challenge for someone unsteady on their feet -- mud, tree roots, rocks, for example. One can always choose to hang back where one is comfortable. The other major gardens on Oahu do not present much challenge, as I recall.  (Not claiming to have a perfect memory!) Foster Botanical is easy walking and mostly level, and Ho'omaluhia has paved roads and mowed lawns with some undulation, but not difficult.

On Hawaii Island, the gardens that will likely be included should not present anything one would call a hike. You'll want to go slow on the paths to take in the magnificent landscapes anyway! Perhaps the more challenging could be Hawaii Tropical Bioreserve and Garden (if included -- again, not certain). The only reason being, it is all downhill in a densely planted canyon along a creek with some small waterfalls, and after reaching the ocean at scenic Onomea Bay, one must return uphill. The paths are wide and smooth, so it's not like being on a hiking trail choosing each footfall as you step over rocks -- nothing like that at all -- only that it's uphill on the return.

As Cindy notes, there may be opportunities for those who desire to get out in the rough and hike to isolated pockets of unusual Pritchardia species, but that would be optional.

Do invite your friend! If she loves plants, she will be in her element.

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Itinerary should be posted by Friday! And registration tentatively on Monday. Will be posting more details through the week...

• Like 2

On 2/27/2022 at 11:56 PM, ASHCVS said:

Hi Eve, 

The itinerary is complete, and fabulous. It will be posted soon. Registration details are also forthcoming in the next few weeks. I am thrilled to learn that you and Rob will be joining us. Hanging out with Rob is always a highlight for me at the biennials, ever since I met him in the wee hours of the morning at the airport in Singapore, on our voyage to Borneo. By the way, it was a privilege to tour your garden last November. 

Andy

Was great to have everyone at Rob’s garden - people who can really appreciate his efforts.  I am super excited about the Hawaii trip!

14 hours ago, Mandrew968 said:

Itinerary should be posted by Friday! And registration tentatively on Monday. Will be posting more details through the week...

Looking forward to more details!

Just a few details that I can give right now; we will be going to Lyons as well as Foster's.  We will also be visiting Leilani Estates and also Floribunda-Jeff has asked only two things, no one lags behind and all pockets are to be sewn shut before entering... 

• Like 1

OMG the trip would be fantastic if not for the distance of the flights, well I'd have to see. Plus costs, the prices on many luxuries are through the roof!

Curious if I would be eligible as not a yearly member but gave a pretty large endowment couple years ago. So would I still be eligible?

Note:I was a paid yearly subscriber from 1978-2000s! 

Also, with my large donation, why am I not given at least a bumper sticker? LOL There was one I had on my fridge years ago that read 

"Palms MAKE it Paradise" :lol2:

I haven't missed the announcement, have i?

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Agree, the cost of everything is up extremely, but I think this trip is going to be worth it. Once in a lifetime trip, last biennial to Hawaii was 2004. I don’t think I can wait that long to go again. Especially since I have never been there. Hopefully it is still affordable for those who want to go! Just have to cut back on buying plants this year, probably not. Coming from SWFlorida, looks like 13-15 hours of travel time each way. My next best trip would be to Cuba, so many great palms there. Maybe put a bug in the ears of the officials.

3 minutes ago, Keith N Tampa (ex SoJax) said:

I haven't missed the announcement, have i?

No, have not seen any updates yet/

Hi,

Interested in joining the Biennial to Hawaii. Can you tell me how to go about booking a place for my wife and I.

Thankyou Michael.

Hi CQ Mike and All!

I am so glad you want to join us!

I just checked again on Palms.org the IPS website and don’t see anything up yet. I suspect all the world events have complicated finishing up the details for a firm price and to open up registration. 

Once registration is open surely there will be a link posted on PalmTalk  right here to get everyone directly to the online registration section.

In the past it has been straightforward from there, but if anything is not clear I can try to connect you with those directly in charge. 

I am sure it will be worth the wait!

Cindy Adair

Folks, this process is dragging on for a long time. I recognize the issues with trying to nail down pricing. Open the registration and let folks know that prices are subject to change. Let people have the option to opt out if the pricing gets to high to bear. Judy and I plan to attend. However we are also trying to plan a wedding for our son also in October. It is time to hear something. 

Hi Jim and Judy!

I am quite sympathetic with your concerns and hope all is set soon!

Looking forward to seeing you both in HI and congrats on your son’s wedding too.

Cindy Adair

I like the enthusiasm but let's keep it positive!  We are sooooo close to posting this-just have to make sure we don't put this on with liability issues lingering-we are in the final stretch. Everything is essentially done-just takes time to do all the handshakes. I can't guarantee the flights will stay reasonable with the oil situation going on currently but the biennial will be very reasonable. We are shooting for the 15th of this month but all who want to sign up will be able to by March-sorry for the delay as yes, I had hoped to have this done by rhe first of this month.  Alas, the monocles had to be pulled out...

42 minutes ago, Cindy Adair said:

Thanks again for all your volunteer hours, Andrew!

My pleasure!

For starters, the announcement on the IPS website regarding Biennials, it doesn't look good that the Reunion Trip is still posted.  Just saying.....and yes Andrea and I will be coming. Wouldn't miss it!!

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff, so glad you and Andrea are coming to HI.

It wouldn’t be the same without you two!

Cindy Adair

Checking out some possible flight options, has anyone any experience on Alaska Air? They have some reasonable pricing. Trying to keep it to one stop in between.

I would be coming from Fort Myers to Honolulu, I’m assuming that is the destination to start with?

Also hoping that the FAA will drop the mask mandate by the trip time. 

18 hours ago, Barry said:

Checking out some possible flight options, has anyone any experience on Alaska Air? They have some reasonable pricing. Trying to keep it to one stop in between.

I would be coming from Fort Myers to Honolulu, I’m assuming that is the destination to start with?

Also hoping that the FAA will drop the mask mandate by the trip time. 

Alaska is a very decent airline. Every airline had staffing problems emerging from the pandemic, so if you see complaints about cancellations or schedule changes, that's the reason, and with luck, those problems will be behind us by October. Otherwise they are reliable, have good equipment, good service, and fair prices. I will emphasize -- book directly with whatever airline you choose. This avoids potential problems and potential scams. 

While I expect Honolulu to be the first destination, until things are final we don't know nuttin'!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Folks it is now March 20th, my sister’s eightieth birthday. We were told that we would have the information on the biennial on March 1st. Mandrew said to keep this positive. So here goes, I am positive that someone or some group dropped the ball; a little NCAA lingo. 

l’ll be positive, but give me a morsel of information to help me be positive. 

On 1/13/2022 at 3:09 AM, Cindy Adair said:

I will be there! Thanks to all planning this adventure.

I will be looking forward to your stories when you return Cindy!

On 3/7/2022 at 11:55 AM, Jim Glock said:

Folks, this process is dragging on for a long time. I recognize the issues with trying to nail down pricing. Open the registration and let folks know that prices are subject to change. Let people have the option to opt out if the pricing gets to high to bear. Judy and I plan to attend. However we are also trying to plan a wedding for our son also in October. It is time to hear something. 

The timing is already known. October 9th to the 16th. Congrats on the wedding! Hope you can make it to the biennial,  Jim!

Hi Everyone!

As I have already written, I am NOT part of the planning for this Biennial. However with permission from those in charge (and following an email from Robert Blenker to the entire Board yesterday) I have been granted approval for this update:

To quote our hard working IPS President, “we are in the home stretch to opening registration.”

The IPS Directors anticipate a final motion for our vote (on everything concerning the HI trip) in the next few days. We follow parliamentary procedure with discussion and then voting, but usually that happens rapidly.

Then all that will remain is some time to “test drive” the customer experience of registration and be sure our website is informative and responsive.

Additional promotional messaging in many places will happen very soon thereafter. 

I will personally do my very best to ensure that those of you following this topic so eagerly on PalmTalk will be among the very first to have access to registration. 

The current estimate for going live is on (or possibly before) April 15. 

Should circumstances cause further delays I will post what I know as soon as I hear from those in charge.

Thanks so much for your patience and understanding and see you in HI!

• Like 2

Cindy Adair

Cindy

Thank you for the update, we are all anxious to get on board for this trip! And I don’t want to miss the chance to go since there is going to be a cap on attendance.

Barry

Thank you Cindy for the much needed update.  Got a good laugh when you stated...I am NOT part of the planning......

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

10 hours ago, Cindy Adair said:

Hi Everyone!

As I have already written, I am NOT part of the planning for this Biennial. However with permission from those in charge (and following an email from Robert Blenker to the entire Board yesterday) I have been granted approval for this update:

To quote our hard working IPS President, “we are in the home stretch to opening registration.”

The IPS Directors anticipate a final motion for our vote (on everything concerning the HI trip) in the next few days. We follow parliamentary procedure with discussion and then voting, but usually that happens rapidly.

Then all that will remain is some time to “test drive” the customer experience of registration and be sure our website is informative and responsive.

Additional promotional messaging in many places will happen very soon thereafter. 

I will personally do my very best to ensure that those of you following this topic so eagerly on PalmTalk will be among the very first to have access to registration. 

The current estimate for going live is on (or possibly before) April 15. 

Should circumstances cause further delays I will post what I know as soon as I hear from those in charge.

Thanks so much for your patience and understanding and see you in HI!

Thank you Cindy, and the rest of the BOD.  We do appreciate you for donating your time to this endeavor.  

• Like 1

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Today I received these three photos from Director Andrew Street. I believe they were taken by Kim Cyr and know they are all from Hawaii! Enjoy!

DSC_2090.thumb.jpg.92e649b4f1a365d11b052033e334fb57.jpg

DSC_2145.thumb.jpg.08b4b22c0fd4846fb976d8b417830ba6.jpg

IMG_8099.thumb.jpg.b0cf7aaf80d041b28b622ac1464fb1ab.jpg

I am ready to pack my bag now despite living on another lovely tropical island!

• Like 2

Cindy Adair

Cindy.

Thanks for posting those three photos. Yes, they were indeed taken by Kim. This was about two months ago when she and I had been invited over to my old garden by the new owners. I have been over there a number of times recently, spending several hours each time with Bob (the two of us in two of the photos) attempting to re-identify a number of the palms.  The tall palm in the center of the first photo is an Orania ravaka, planted in 2005 from a 3 gallon pot. Fronds on the right belong to a Tahina spectabilis and most of the taller palms in the background are Neoveitchia storckii. Second photo shows a Boraasodendron machadonis with a tall Phoenicophorium borsigianum on the left. Lots of assorted palms in the third photo with a couple of Beccariophoenix fenestralis on the right.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Thanks so much for the photos Bo and naming some of the trees! I have heard this amazing garden will be on the yet to be confirmed itinerary!

I will also add that the Board is currently voting on details of this Biennial!

Hooray!

I believe I will be able to post these details right here as soon as next week,  although as stated earlier it will take a little longer to open registration. 

So stay tuned and consider pressing the “follow this topic” option below as many of us have already done!

Cindy Adair

I am starting with a big disclaimer that I am truly unable to answer ANY questions myself for reasons already posted.

So queries must wait until full information complete with all the usual fine print (hoping for some FAQs) on our website with a knowledgeable contact there. I will post a link here once I know it.

Most importantly Registration is NOT yet open and once more I do not know the exact date it will be open.  Soon,  I understand.

The main reason to have this basic albeit limited information out ASAP is to allow us all who might want roommates to coordinate so we can sign up immediately!

Also with firm dates and prices we can now research airfares and consider reaching out to friends to plan private informal pre and post options even on other islands.

Please note that the motion passed by the Board late yesterday included discussion that it is still possible that the itinerary could be tweaked due to unforeseen events.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

Day-by-Day Itinerary

Event: International Palm Society
Date: Oct 8-16, 2022

Place: 2 Nights Island of Oahu 5 Nights Hilo, Big Island of Hawaii
Participants: 150

Waikiki Hotel: 2 Nights Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort Oct 8-11, 2022
Hilo Hotel: 5 Nights at Hilo Hawaiian Hotel Oct 11-16, 2022

2 Nights at the Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa - includes resort fee 5 Nights at the Hilo Hawaiian Hotel - includes resort fee

7 Breakfast - 2 in Waikiki and 5 in Hilo, Big Island

2 Social Gatherings 1 in Waikiki and 1 in Hilo, Big Island

5 Banquet Dinners 2 in Waikiki and 3 in Hilo, Big Island (Include Luau in Hilo) 4 Lunches

All Admissions and All Ground Transfers including Airport Transfers ?

One Way Flight Hawaiian Airlines Honolulu to Hilo, Big Island

2 Full time tour guides will accompany your group in addition to tour drivers - tips included

Day 1 Sun Oct 9. Attendees Arrival Day. Welcome Dinner Banquet (1)

Day 2 Mon Oct 10. Visit Lyon Arboretum and Foster Garden Evening Dinner Banquet (2)

Day 3 Tue Oct 11. Visit Ho’omaluhia Kaneohe, Oahu. Depart to Hilo. Dinner Banquet (3)

Day 4 Wed Oct 12. Visit Hawaii Tropical Bioreserve & Garden Hilo, Big Island
Casa de Los Palmas Hilo, Big Island Dinner Banquet (4)

Day 5 Thu Oct 13. Floribunda Palms Big Island Mountain View, Big Island Hawaiian Acres Community Center Mountain View, Big Island

Day 6 Fri Oct 14.Optional Tour Day

Day 7 Sat Oct 15. Visits to Lundkvist & Andersen Dinner/Luau Banquet (5)

Day 8 Sun Oct 16. Departure Day

International Palm Society (cost per person depending on room type)

$5,213.50 Single

$4,095.25 Double

$3,674.50 Triple

$3,482.13 Quad

Optional Tours (On October 14, 2022 choose one)
Tour #1. Volcano National Park Tour and Hike
Tour #2. Pritchard Forest Hike and Box Lunch
Tour #3. Depart to Kona. Arrive Bezona Tour

Cloud Forest. Box lunch. Tour Ouer Garden

Summary Itinerary

Day 1. Sat Oct 8th Arrival Day of Board Members only to Honolulu Hawaii Island: Oahu Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort

Day 2. Sun Oct 9th. Arrival Day for all attendees Island: Oahu Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort Breakfast at hotel for Board Members

Attendees will provide their own transfer to Waikiki Hotel 6:00 PM Social gathering at hotel

7:00 PM Welcome Banquet Dinner (1) 8:00 PM Evening Speaker

Day 3. Mon Oct 10th. Lyon Arboretum and Foster Garden Island: Oahu Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort
Breakfast for all attendees
Visit Lyon Arboretum followed by Foster Garden
Include Box Lunch Banquet Dinner (2)

Day 4. Tue Oct 11th. Ho'omaluhia visit and Depart to Hilo Island: Hilo, Big Island Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Check out of hotel and load luggage on tour bus

Visit Ho'omaluhia and then depart to HNL Airport

50 minute flight from Honolulu to Hilo via Hawaiian Airlines and Southwest Airlines Arrive in Hilo. Motorcoach Transfer to Hilo Hawaiian Hotel

Banquet Dinner (3)

Day 5. Wed Oct 12th. Rainbow Falls, HTBG and Casa de Las Palmas Island: Hilo, Big Island Hilo Hawaiian Hotel

Group A - 3 Mini Coaches visits t HTBG and Casa de Los Palmas 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Depart Hotel to Rainbow Falls
Depart to Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden (8 miles) Visit Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden
Depart to Casa de Las Palmas
Lunch
Visit Garden
Return to Hotel
Banquet Dinner (4)

Group B - 3 Mini Coaches visits t HTBG and Casa de Los Palmas 12:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Depart Hotel to Rainbow Falls
Depart to Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden (8 miles) Visit Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden
Depart to Casa de Las Palmas
Lunch
Visit Garden
Return to Hotel
Banquet Dinner (4)

Day 6. Thu Oct 13th. Tour Floribunda @ Hawaiian Acres Community Center Island: Hilo, Big Island Hilo Hawaiian Hotel

Group A - 3 Mini Coaches
Depart Hotel Arrive HACC Shuttle Floribunda Tour Floribunda Shuttle HACC Depart HACC Arrive Hotel
Free Afternoon Dinner on your own
Group B - 3 Mini Coaches
Depart Hotel
Arrive CdLP ($55)
Stroll Garden
Lunch CdLP
Board Buses
Depart CdLP
Arrive HACC
Shuttle Floribunda (Free) Tour Floribunda
Shuttle HACC
Depart HACC
Arrive Hotel

Day 7. Fri Oct 14th. Optional Day Trips Island: Hilo, Big Island Hilo Hawaiian Hotel Breakfast for all attendees

Tour #1. Volcano National Park Tour and Hike
Tour #2. Pritchard Forest Hike and Box Lunch
Tour #3. Depart to Kona. Arrive Bezona Tour Cloud Forest. Box lunch. Tour Ouer Garden

More details to follow need pricing for each tour.

Day 8. Sat Oct 15th.
Island: Hilo, Big Island Hilo Hawaiian Hotel Breakfast for all attendees
Group A - Mini Coaches
Depart Hotel
Arrive Lundkvist
Tour Gardens
Box lunch
Depart Lundkvist
Arrive Andersen
Tour Andersen
Depart Andersen
Arrive Hotel
6:00 PM Social Hour
7:00 PM Farewell Banquet (5) 8:00 PM Entertainment
Group B - Mini Coaches
Depart Hotel
Arrive Andersen
Tour Garden
Depart Andersen
Arrive Lundkvist
Box lunch
Tour Lundvist
Depart Lundvist
Arrive Hotel
Social Hour
7:00 PM Farewell Banquet (5) Entertainment

Day 9. Sun Oct 16th. Departure Day

• Like 2

Cindy Adair

On 3/25/2022 at 6:50 AM, Cindy Adair said:

Thanks so much for the photos Bo and naming some of the trees! I have heard this amazing garden will be on the yet to be confirmed itinerary!

I will also add that the Board is currently voting on details of this Biennial!

Hooray!

I believe I will be able to post these details right here as soon as next week,  although as stated earlier it will take a little longer to open registration. 

So stay tuned and consider pressing the “follow this topic” option below as many of us have already done!

Thanks Cindy!

am following for/with Rob Branch as he can’t seem to log on to Palm Talk (we’ve tried to reset password etc, keeps saying user is already taken…).

Hi Eve!

PT issues are part of my responsibility! 

he can’t seem to log on to Palm Talk (we’ve tried to reset password etc, keepssaying user is already taken…).

I just replied, so you should have a notice (in whatever e-mail you used to sign up to PT) connecting you with our moderator (Palm Mod) using our private message system.

Be sure to click the box to reply as directed, rather than hitting reply on the e-mail itself. 

You can also reach me under my name that way. 

Cindy Adair

2 hours ago, Cindy Adair said:

Hi Eve!

PT issues are part of my responsibility! 

he can’t seem to log on to Palm Talk (we’ve tried to reset password etc, keepssaying user is already taken…).

I just replied, so you should have a notice (in whatever e-mail you used to sign up to PT) connecting you with our moderator (Palm Mod) using our private message system.

Be sure to click the box to reply as directed, rather than hitting reply on the e-mail itself. 

You can also reach me under my name that way. 

Thanks Cindy....I'm up and running!

Cindy,

Thank you so much for posting this information. This will allow us to begin planning.

Question for you: There are typically optional pre and post tour options available. Do you know if there will be any organized pre or post tour options  this time around?

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

7 hours ago, Tracy S said:

Cindy,

Thank you so much for posting this information. This will allow us to begin planning.

Question for you: There are typically optional pre and post tour options available. Do you know if there will be any organized pre or post tour options  this time around?

Not a complete answer, but let me add. If you came or left a day or more early/late, there is no shortage of non-palm tourist related activities and other options readily available. With the amount of palms and gardens you will see, I guarantee you will leave with an overdose of palm related sensory input, and can't imagine you would need any more. :)

Other fun and interesting things include - outrigger canoe "surfing" or on a surfboard with "beach boy" help, sunset cruises, snorkeling/diving tours of all kinds, atv and jet ski activities, paragliding, helicopter tours of waterfalls and coastlines not usually seen, Pearl Harbor Memorial, some beautiful sight seeing - historical, cultural, environmental, and just plain gorgeous scenery, on horseback or just plain hiking, etc. etc. etc.

You can view them all with a little Googling.

And for those who can afford the time and expense, there are other islands that are easily accessible - each with their own different and unique ambience.

• Like 1

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Thanks so much Dean! Tracy S, I am almost but not quite ready to try to answer your question.

I was just asked to post a pricing update so here goes. 

For those wanting doubles the price has actually dropped! Hooray!

image.thumb.png.03d5c63922e7204f061b69951908d99b.png

Cindy Adair

Also as many of you know, I am a glass half full sort of person.  

That said I was just given a quick look at what is likely the final appearance of our information and registration page for HI. 

And I was extremely impressed. Worth the wait!

Well organized, beautiful with links to many of the sites we will visit. 

I think this trip will be popular for anyone wanting a tropical dream vacation this year.

I also think once you read all that is included you will be as enthusiastic as I am.

See you there!

Cindy Adair

Thank you Dean for the great suggestions for some additional fun.

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room