IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is your ocean temperature?

bubba

Yesterday the Gulf was down to 55. Air temp on Ft. Myers Beach at one point was 38. Really glad my timeshare there is in July.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

NOAA has Los Angeles at 62.8F\ 17.1C but NWS has Santa Monica Bay at 58F\ 14.4C which I think is more accurate. All and all, basically normal water temps for Dec.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Dec.19,2010- Palm Beach Inlet-73F. Saw it down to 70F.during our coldest day so far.

What you look for is what is looking

Water temperature 14-16 december, California USA.

This image is some good example how the California current (more colder water) goes south far west of southern California and Baja California, and the Baja current (more warmer water) goes north to southern California from here more closer to the land. You can also see in this image very classic of how the breaks of the temperatures are by San Diego and Los Angeles. This is normal and usual that the Baja current is less strong north of San Diego and stops by the area of Los Angeles.

The temperatures of 14-15C are normal in southern California for end of december.

post-285-009774800 1292816805_thumb.gif

Water temperature 14-16 december, Baja California México

The termpatures are normal also for december.

post-285-080496600 1292817361_thumb.gif

I like more better this information in this way, it is average of temperatures in time of 3 days. The ocean moves all the time and temperatures can change much in only some hours.

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

Water temperature 14-16 december, California USA.

This image is some good example how the California current (more colder water) goes south far west of southern California and Baja California, and the Baja current (more warmer water) goes north to southern California from here more closer to the land. You can also see in this image very classic of how the breaks of the temperatures are by San Diego and Los Angeles. This is normal and usual that the Baja current is less strong north of San Diego and stops by the area of Los Angeles.

The temperatures of 14-15C are normal in southern California for end of december.

post-285-009774800 1292816805_thumb.gif

Water temperature 14-16 december, Baja California México

The termpatures are normal also for december.

post-285-080496600 1292817361_thumb.gif

I like more better the information in this way it is average of temperatures in time of 3 days more real i think and shows with detail what is happening in large parts of the ocean. This is more important i think.

The ocean moves all the time and temperatures can change 1-2C in only some hours in some place. What the weather service of USA says is temperature in some place, for example 68F (20C) at 12 pm, can be 66F (19C) or 70F (21C) at 3 pm

Edited by Cristóbal

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

lowest in february = 15C / 59F

highest in august = 27C / 81 F

USDA Hardiness Zones 9b to 10a

AHS Heat Zones 8

altitude 100 meters (320 Feet)

4 km (2,4 Miles) from the Mediterranean

16716.gif

lowest ever recorded temperature -4 C (24 F)

maximum ever recored temperature 45 C (113 F)

mean minimum temperature January 7 C (44 F)

mean maximum temperature January 14 C (57 F)

mean minimum temperature July 23 C (74 F)

mean maximum temperature July 33 C (92 F)

average annual rainfall 330mm (13 Inch)

average annual sunshine 2800 hours

• 2 weeks later...

Galveston, TX- 57F

Surfside Beach, TX- 61F

Port Aransas, TX- 64F

South Padre Island, TX- 65F

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica

Pacific Coast

27.1C (80.8F)

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Near shore 23C (73F), off shore in the Leeuwin current 24C(75F).

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Sebastian Inlet (Florida Institute of Technology data) is 65 F (18 C). Not bad.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Santa Monica Bay: 58F\ 14.4C

San Diego Bay: 60F\ 15.5C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

24C (75F) inshore, 25C(77F) offshore. Quite warm actually. Considering a cyclone can still form at 26C (80F). This is quite warm for 32S on the west coast.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

24C (75F) inshore, 25C(77F) offshore. Quite warm actually. Considering a cyclone can still form at 26C (80F). This is quite warm for 32S on the west coast.

Best regards

Tyrone

Hi Tyrone

Hope you are having a pleasant summer and not the tragic flooding that is occurring in Queensland. I assumed that relatively warm ocean water temps were routine in Western Australia. Normally Pacific ocean temps off southern California average in the upper 60's - near 70F\ 21.1C during summer so tropical storms are non-existent.

happ

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Best regards

Tyrone

Hi Tyrone

Hope you are having a pleasant summer and not the tragic flooding that is occurring in Queensland. I assumed that relatively warm ocean water temps were routine in Western Australia. Normally Pacific ocean temps off southern California average in the upper 60's - near 70F\ 21.1C during summer so tropical storms are non-existent.

happ

We're a couple of degrees warmer than we should be at this time of year. We peak in about March April, but we have a couple of months to go until we reach that SST peak.

This part of the country has been uneventful when it comes to natural disasters. It's the place to be at the moment.

Summer is turning out to be more humid than usual for us this year. I had my split system refrigerative air conditioner flood lastnight and water was just running down my loungeroom wall. I'll need to see why today. It couldn't handle the humidity. Never had that happen before. Dewpoints have been as high as 20C, but by the end of the week are expected to go higher when we get 40C and thunderstorms. Should be exciting.

Best regards

Tyrone

I felt it today, not sure what the actual temp was, but "too (explicative) cold" will suffice.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

TC Bianca has formed today and is forecast to walk a long way down the West Oz coast and take advantage of the warm ocean to about 26S. It's meant to be cat 3 by Friday. By Saturday they are saying it will hit high wind shear, but if that doesn't happen as strongly as predicted it may get further south as 26C SST's extend down to about 29S. This could be an interesting one.

Best regards

Tyrone

Our SSTs in SE QLD are hovering around 26-27C and it only gets warmer as you go north...not good if a cyclone decides to head south!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Our SSTs in SE QLD are hovering around 26-27C and it only gets warmer as you go north...not good if a cyclone decides to head south!

Daryl

don't speak too soon.. :unsure:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Southeast Bight conditions:

Going north to south along the coast here, there is a definite warmer temperature trend. No surprise, but it is still mighty cold.

Also offshore water temps are a little warmer, due to the presence of the offshore Gulf Stream.

Folly Beach SC (near Charleston): 48.3

Bouy offshore Edisto SC: 64.4F

Estuary of Savannah River GA (Fort Pulaski): 51.3 F

17 miles offshore , south of Savannah GA (Grays Reef National Marine Sanctuary: 52.3F

Coastal Georgia south of Savannah: 48R average, warming to the south

Offshore Fernandina Beach FL (near Jacksonville): 52.5

St. Augustine FL: 54.7F

Not conditions I wish to go romping in the surf all day.

Gig 'Em Ags!

David '88

Wabasso Beach, Florida was 60 F yesterday. Air was plenty warm for romping.

Still 24C (75F) here. TC Bianca didn't change it.

Cocoa Beach some 67º F, 20 C

Ft Pierce 70ºF, 21 C.

That's after several days of warm weather, with Melbourne hitting 87º F (31 C) yesterday.

• 2 weeks later...

By the end of the week we'll have around 26C inshore and in the Leeuwin current a bit further out 27,28C. Very warm.

• 4 weeks later...

Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica

Pacific Coast

29.8C (85.6F)

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

About 24,25C at the moment. Still about 2C warmer than average here.

Water temperatures 21 - 23 march, east pacific.

The water in southern california is little more cold than the usual but in baja california it is very cold in the pacific and also mar de cortez. This i think a little bit for la niña but this goes now away, and alñso for the cold weather we have in the last month of many storms and low pressures coming to here from alaska. This makes the winds strong come from the north west and the cold water below goes to the surface and the cold current of california goes more closer to the land. Now there is no warm water from the south going north by the coast of baja california.

21C in cabo san lucas and south mar de cortez in this time of the year is cold it is more like january.

post-285-095634000 1301105420_thumb.gif

post-285-008425500 1301105452_thumb.gif