IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is your ocean temperature?

bubba

Weatherman on local news last night said the Gulf in the Naples/Fort Myers area was 52F. Unbelievable.

52 F ?

this is like the cold water in central, north california ! i dont think i see one time the water this cold in south california or where i live. maybe 55 F is the most cold in this area.

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

Sunday 1-10-10

Santa Monica bay: 61F\ 16.1C

San Clemente basin: 62F\ 16.6C

San Diego bay: 59F\ 15C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Sunday 1-10-10

Santa Monica bay: 61F\ 16.1C

Interesting. Been a long time since I've seen SD Bay cooler than LA.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Weatherman on local news last night said the Gulf in the Naples/Fort Myers area was 52F. Unbelievable.

52 F ?

this is like the cold water in central, north california ! i dont think i see one time the water this cold in south california or where i live. maybe 55 F is the most cold in this area.

Is the water cold now in the Sea of Cortez? Are there coconuts there?

Thank you

Donald Sanders

Just inside the Golden Gate at the Coast Guard station at Crissy Field in the Presidio: 51.4F

Buoy 10 miles west of the Golden Gate: 53.1F

Bodega Bay, 70 miles NW of San Francisco: 54.7F (This temperature could well be as warm as any measured over 12 months at that site, barring strong El Niño conditions.)

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

Santa Monica bay: 60F\ 15.5C

San Pedro harbor: 61F\ 16.1C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

California USA

post-285-12645569184986_thumb.gif

Mar de Cortez

post-285-12645569473728_thumb.gif

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

• 2 weeks later...

60F\ 15.5C more or less up & down SoCal coastline.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

54.0F just inside the Golden Gate at San Francisco's Presidio. 54.7F at Southeast Farallon Island, about 25 miles west of the Golden Gate near the edge of the continental shelf. Sometimes this is the warmest sea-temperature season of the year for us, depending on how strong upwelling stays through summer and fall.

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

Ocean temps don't change much in California due to strong current. Still about 60F\ 15.5C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

The Florida east coast is colder to the north. 58 at Ft Pierce Inlet, 55 at Cocoa Beach and Daytona. So I think we're colder than southern California.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

The Florida east coast is colder to the north. 58 at Ft Pierce Inlet, 55 at Cocoa Beach and Daytona. So I think we're colder than southern California.

I've never heard of that part of FL being that cold, wow!

SOuth OC was 58 - 62F

San Diego 57 - 59F

Wetsuits must be flying off the racks down there.

Vince Bury

Zone 10a San Juan Capistrano, CA - 1.25 miles from coast.

http://www.burrycurry.com/index.html

21C (70F) here in the middle of summer. Compared to early spring at 18C (65F). Not much difference through the year really. It is a bit warmer normally by now. Normally around 23,24C (73F, 75F) at this time of year. Maybe this will happen later in autumn.

By the looks of it the sea is much warmer here than the area around Southern Cal at similar latitudes.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

The surf temperature at the Palm Beach Inlet is 86 degrees F. What is the current temperature in your closest Ocean or large body of water?

I don't know, I don't own a therm. big enough to test the ocean. :floor:

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Quepos, Costa Rica

Pacific Ocean

30.3C (86.5F) It's gone up a bit in the last few days.

I don't know if this has been posted here before or not, but here's a nice image of the world's sea surface temperatures. I think this map is updated regularly.

Sea Surface Temperatures of the World

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

21C (70F) here in the middle of summer. Compared to early spring at 18C (65F). Not much difference through the year really. It is a bit warmer normally by now. Normally around 23,24C (73F, 75F) at this time of year. Maybe this will happen later in autumn.

By the looks of it the sea is much warmer here than the area around Southern Cal at similar latitudes.

Best regards

Tyrone

Summer ocean temps are also around 70F\ 21.1C in SoCal. I thought Perth\ Western Australia would be warmer than low 70's during summer. How cold do the winter ocean temps get?

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Best regards

Tyrone

Summer ocean temps are also around 70F\ 21.1C in SoCal. I thought Perth\ Western Australia would be warmer than low 70's during summer. How cold do the winter ocean temps get?

Min ocean temps are in early spring and are 18C (65F). Mid winter it can still be 19-20C (66-68F). Ocean temps lag a couple of months behind air temps. Our warmest ocean temps actually do occur in April.

Also we have coral reefs of tropical coral at Rottnest Island just 12 miles off the coast.

Considering the yoyoing temps and humidity we get over here, the ocean temp is almost predictable to the degree and doesn't change much. It's also what saves us from really low temps in winter.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Best regards

Tyrone

Min ocean temps are in early spring and are 18C (65F). Mid winter it can still be 19-20C (66-68F). Ocean temps lag a couple of months behind air temps. Our warmest ocean temps actually do occur in April.

Also we have coral reefs of tropical coral at Rottnest Island just 12 miles off the coast.

Considering the yoyoing temps and humidity we get over here, the ocean temp is almost predictable to the degree and doesn't change much. It's also what saves us from really low temps in winter.

Best regards

Tyrone

What's similar between Western Australia & California is a very short ocean thermometer but California is colder overall, it appears. The steady Japanese current [also called California current] creates upwelling of cold deep water. There are a few areas offshore of San Francisco that are actually warmer in the winter than summer due to the strong cold current. In SoCal the difference between the coldest temp & warmest ocean temp is only 10-15 degrees. Along the east coast of the U.S. the difference is easily more than 30 degrees F.

Isn't the climate of Western Australia considered "Mediterranean" like California?

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Best regards

Tyrone

Best regards

Tyrone

What's similar between Western Australia & California is a very short ocean thermometer but California is colder overall, it appears. The steady Japanese current [also called California current] creates upwelling of cold deep water. There are a few areas offshore of San Francisco that are actually warmer in the winter than summer due to the strong cold current. In SoCal the difference between the coldest temp & warmest ocean temp is only 10-15 degrees. Along the east coast of the U.S. the difference is easily more than 30 degrees F.

Isn't the climate of Western Australia considered "Mediterranean" like California?

Southern Western Australia (35S-28S) is considered Mediteranean due to the winter maximum rainfall (although it's actually much warmer and wetter than the real Mediteranean), but along the south coast (Southern Ocean) it can rain any time of year quite consistently and the coastal areas have more of a maritime climate. Once you go north from Perth to about 28S you hit the arid zone where it basically doesn't rain except on occasion. This arid zone exists far into the tropics (ie further north than 23.5S) and you reach the monsoonal tropics that starts in the Kimberley just north of Broome (18S). After that it's all monsoonal tropics with a climate not too dissimilar to Darwin. The water temps up in these regions now is around 32C or 90F. Prime cyclone territory.

Best regards

Tyrone

Best regards

Tyrone

Best regards

Tyrone

Southern Western Australia (35S-28S) is considered Mediteranean due to the winter maximum rainfall (although it's actually much warmer and wetter than the real Mediteranean), but along the south coast (Southern Ocean) it can rain any time of year quite consistently and the coastal areas have more of a maritime climate. Once you go north from Perth to about 28S you hit the arid zone where it basically doesn't rain except on occasion. This arid zone exists far into the tropics (ie further north than 23.5S) and you reach the monsoonal tropics that starts in the Kimberley just north of Broome (18S). After that it's all monsoonal tropics with a climate not too dissimilar to Darwin. The water temps up in these regions now is around 32C or 90F. Prime cyclone territory.

Best regards

Tyrone

Enjoy the info, Tyrone. South of 32N is the Baja California version of the arid zone in Western Australia. Los Angeles\ San Diego are drier than Perth. Also a southern Mediteranean classification similar to Morocco\ Tunisia.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Feb. 24, 2010-Palm Beach Inlet-74F.

I went back and looked around this crazy little topic titled "What is your Ocean Temperature" established in August of 2007 and I have learned a great deal. To me learning through Tyrone and Happ the distinctions between Perth and Los Angeles is very interesting as well as imput from many others all over the world.

I never had a clue that the Gulf of Mexico can heat up in Summer to mid-90'sF. but drop in Winter to low 50's or high 40's F. in the Gulf portion as far South as the Keys!

As best I can tell,water temperatures in those areas closest to the Gulf Stream probably vary 20F or less a year.I would guess a high of 88F during Hurricun Season and upper 60's for short duration during a cold blast.Just up the road at Vero you can go from mid 80'sF. to mid 50'sF.Closer to 30 degrees F. and the diference is the Gulf Stream 15 miles offshore Vs. 2 miles.

What you look for is what is looking

Weather and sea temps can be a very interesting topic. It's a complex symphony out there in weather world.

Happ I looked at ocean temps around Oz on another website and it puts my ocean temps at about 23,24C (73-75F), compared to 21-22C elsewhere. What is more alarming is the fact that the ocean around the entire continent is showing a significant warm anomaly of between 1-2C. I don't know if they've made a mistake, but the anomaly map shows almost all the Indian and Pacific significantly warmed up over average. If this is true, we're due for a huge killer cyclone, or some significant climate shifting.

What do your web sources say about the global sea surface temp anomalies at the moment?

Best regards

Tyrone

3 March 2010, off the coast of Darwin, NT Australia it's 30C (86F).

Los Angeles: 62F\ 16.6C

San Diego: 62F

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23