IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is your ocean temperature?

bubba

(bubba @ Mar. 11 2008,07:04)

Can you say Gulfstream?

It took me three tries, but I did it!

G-U-L-F-S-T-R-E-E-M

G-U-L-F-S-T-R-I-I-M

G-U-L-F-S-T-R-E-A-M

Got it!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Bubba hereby admits to a strange,vivid and at times overbearing fascination with said Gulfstream.That stated,however,Bubba points out that said waters surrounding the Dry Tortuga's and at same Latitude as venerable Key West but in the Midst of said Gulfstream register 84F. as compared and contrasted to Key West at 71F.Correspondingly,Bubba use this example to point out effect of said Gulfstream to argue microclimate,microclimate.Bubba say warm water nearby make things warmer.Gulfstream,Gulfstream,Gulfstream!

What you look for is what is looking

When ONE starts  talking about ONESELF  in the THIRD person,it is time to step away from the computer for at least a short amount of time!  It probably means ONE is overheating being to NEAR the  hot ,torrid, GULF STREAM! That or your computer is radiating GAMMA rays!:laugh:

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

(bubba @ Mar. 11 2008,14:46)

Correspondingly,Bubba use this example to point out effect of said Gulfstream to argue microclimate,microclimate.Bubba say warm water nearby make things warmer.Gulfstream,Gulfstream,Gulfstream!

Bubba,

How well do those palms you plant IN the Gulf Stream do? :D or do you have to get back to me,after checking with those guys in Ireland?

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Bubba grow big palm in Gulfstream.Warm Gulfstream Warm Gulfstream.Bubba time to go home.

March 14,2008-Palm Beach Inlet-74F;Key West-73F.;Dry Tortugas-84F.

Bubba-

Whwre are you getting the Dry Tortugas reading?  I periodically check that buoy and its been out of commission since 2005.  The replacement station is Pulaski Shoal Light, PLSF1.

Larry 

Heres another one I can never figure out----

Why is the water temperature in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico so much warmer than nearer the coast?  The warmest water temp reading (79F) of all the marine buoys I can find in or near FL is 262 miles south of Panama City (East Gulf of Mexico Buoy).

Larry 

Larry,My information comes from Weather Underground under Key West Surf.I also have trouble understanding the Buoy system in South Florida.I have read studies showing that the Eastern edge of the Florida Current is substantially warmer than the Western edge.Buoy's in the Current seem problematic because of the fast moving water and tendency for heavy seas.I am trying with rather limited success to get more information on the Florida Current,particularly near Palm Beach,and would appreciate any help.

(bubba @ Mar. 14 2008,09:05)

Larry,My information comes from Weather Underground under Key West Surf.

OK...this might explain things.

The "surf" temps are probably not comparable to the buoy temps. The buoys measure actual water temp at a certain depth, while I believe the "surf" temps are the temps in the very shallow waters (probably literally where it meets the sand)?

Larry 

Heres a decent (albeit generalized) chart of FL water temps as of today.

One can see rather clearly on this map that the water is warmer on the east coast compared to the west coast at the same lattitude as the gradient lines are at about 45 degree angles.

post-200-1205504796_thumb.png

Larry 

Many times the Buoy readings I see are air temperature. I do not understand "the Buoy System".

Many times the Buoy readings I see are air temperature. I do not understand "the Buoy System".

(bubba @ Mar. 15 2008,11:19)

Thats because some read both water and air temperature.  Some also seem to only report air temperature sometimes.

But, the water temperature is clearly labelled as such when its reported.

Larry 

Larry,Did some more research on the Gulfstream and Buoys.The Lake Worth Buoy is located on the Lake Worth Pier,which is not in the Gulfstream or Florida Current.Found out that the average Temperature in the Gulfstream for approximate timeframe of Jan.1-10,2008 was 83F.Our water temperature during this timeframe was 73-75F.Coldest air temperature was 40+F.on Jan 4,2008.

go to this link, this is where i find informations on the east pacific, and also for the world.

ocean temperatues in the world.

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

• 2 months later...

May 22,2008-Palm Beach Inlet-80F.

temperatures of the ocean for east pacific - coast of california usa. unusual for this year is more warmer water in area of los angeles most the time the ocean from baja california to area north of san diego is much warmer. la niña is still strong i see, the ocean is very cold for this time in the year and this explain why we have such cool winter, spring in some days.

post-285-1211932079_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cristóbal

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

water temperature in baja california, same thing very cold for end of may. and also very cold in sea of cortez again la niña is very strong and this affect it has on the weather of all of the east pacific south to central méxico this year.

post-285-1211932456_thumb.jpg

At the moment as we enter winter we have 24C (75F)water temps off of the coast. It's still 28C (84F) down to the 26th parralel. This is much warmer than normal. Winter may get rather weird this year. :wacko::blink::unsure:

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Tyrone,We are mid 26 parralel and Dec.2,2007 we were 76F.84F. would be very warm for this area.I wonder what that means for you guys and us?Any predictions?

Tyrone,We are mid 26 parralel and Dec.2,2007 we were 76F.84F. would be very warm for this area.I wonder what that means for you guys and us?Any predictions?

Well I'm at 32S and 75F is real warm then.

Supposedly we are meant to have a drier and warmer winter than normal, according to yesterdays long range forecast. I would imagine that the Leeuwin current which travels from the Indonesian islands to South Australia would be really strong this year. The warmer ocean temps can be a two edged sword though. When cold fronts come up from the Antarctic, the extra warm water produces more rain per front, due to the temp difference between ocean and the cold air mass. However when a high pressure zone comes over us, coastal areas will stay warmer at night than normal due to higher ocean temps, whereas inland will remain largely unchanged. I'd imagine day temps would be slightly higher than average in coastal areas too.

So, I'll come back in three months and tell you if my predictions are right. :unsure:

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

It's after midnight, one day out from winter and it's 20C(68F) outside. I can't recall it ever being so warm this close to winter ever before. The coconut is going to love it. It's still growing for me at about 10mm of spear growth a night.

regards

Tyrone

Well, we had a minimum of 19C in the end, which happens to be today's forecast maximum. I've never known it to be this warm so close to winter. This winter may end up being a warm one, or totally chaotic and unpredictable.

regards

Tyrone

Currently Sydeny's oceans are 21C (70F). Above average for this time of year.

Sydney, NEW SOUTH WALES, Australia 33s

border Sub-tropical/Warm Temperate

Temp Ranges 2C - 46C in city, -2C - 49C in the far metro west

• 1 month later...

Wter termperatures for california coast - cool for this time in the year.

post-285-1215624607_thumb.jpg

Water temperatures Baja California for Pacific, Mar de Cortez. Also cool for this time in year.

post-285-1215624729_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cristóbal

Cristobal! Where have you been? Palm Beach Inlet=83F.I think this is cooler than normal.

Galveston Channel: 88.9F.

Steve

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

Water temp peaked at 91F yesterday off the coast in Tarpon Springs. Clearwater Beach was a bit warmer with a reading of 93F.

Edited by spockvr6

Larry 

Bubba-

As far as I can tell (Ive only been watching the ocean temps with regularity for a few years) its normal to be in the lower 90's in summer. Of course, the temperature fluctuates but it seems to stay +/- 5F of 90F this time of year.

Larry 

• 4 weeks later...

August 6,2008-Palm Beach Inlet-85 F.I believe this is cooler than usual for us at this time of year.

At this very instant (aitn the internet and real time readings cool?) 90.3F off the coast in Tarpon Springs, which is only 1F cooler than the air at my house (1.5 miles inland).

Larry 

The ocean temps off the coast are still above average at 20, 21C. Further out they are below average. We have had above average rainfall for the year so far. Our dam levels have not been so high this time in the year, for many years. The watertable has had a lot of water pumped into it. The lakes are full and the drainage basins that normally fill up after heavy rain and dissipate quickly are staying full so far.

regards

Tyrone

87F (30.5C)

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

87F (30.5C)

aloha from the Hawaiian Islands. The ocean does not get real warm here, today 81f. At many beaches there is underground fresh water entering the ocean and the water comes from high in the mountains where it rains often. Very chilly spots when swimming. In the winter I have seen the ocean as cold as 76f. Don Sanders

Donald Sanders

The ocean temp is 55F (13C), the air temp in my garden is 55F (13C) at a distance of 1 mile (1.6km) inland from the beach. The sky is completely overcast with fog so dense and dark that there are no shadows. July and August feature the worst weather here, no direct sunshine for days or weeks at a time; I refer to this as "deep summer" ! Pity the poor tourists in their sleeveless tops and shorts. :lol:

San Francisco, California

Darold, What are your average air temps, max ,min, for summer/winter? Just wondering.

Best regards

Tyrone