IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is your ocean temperature?

bubba

Surf Temp. at Palm Beach Inlet was 80 degrees F.We had a cool front actually make it through after Noel and we had some nice sets of 8 to 10 footers(very clean) at Reef Road Beach that Matty would have enjoyed.

What you look for is what is looking

Water temp has dropped like a rock here over the past week.   The last report I saw was 73-74F.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

I haven't found a site that tells me local water temperatures in the UK yet, but I remember when I did my diving training, at the end of March 2004, the water temperature was 3°C/37°F, which was a little chilly.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Water temperature today off Grand Isle, La is 73 degrees.  Last years average water temperatures for November was 63 degrees so we may be a bit warmer, year to year, over last year.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Keith, Do you guys still grow oranges in Southern Louisiana?I remember a number of years ago driving South from New Orleans and seeing some fairly major citrus operations. I know it is a little off subject but I found it interesting.

(bubba @ Nov. 06 2007,08:49)

Keith, Do you guys still grow oranges in Southern Louisiana?I remember a number of years ago driving South from New Orleans and seeing some fairly major citrus operations. I know it is a little off subject but I found it interesting.

Yes, we have had many mild winters consistently since 1989.  I have satsumas, oranges, lemons and limes all growing without any winter protection.   I harvested over 300 limes from my Lisbon Lime last year that grows in the open in a completely unprotected environment.  I have 12 Citrus trees now, and a few more planned.  There are citrus trees everywhere here and many other tropical plants everywhere.  And lots of palms, all fairly new that folks would never have dreamed of trying a decade ago.  Thanks for asking.  Louisiana is a very diverse state.  It kills me that most think of it as New Orleans and South La is portrayed on national tv.  I love my state and am quite proud of so many aspects of Louisiana.  The best part of this forum is to get the personal level feel for so many areas of the country and world with folks I have something in common with.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Keith

Thanks for sharing about Jeanerette/Bayou Teche  :P a fascinating region.  I have a good friend in Gulfport.

Glad to read of such bountiful citrus in Louisiana.

Do you recall your last freezing temperature?  Citrus took a big hit in California last winter [especially San Joaquin valley

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Last year, I recorded freezes on 5 nights.  Most were like 31 degrees for just an hour or two.  We had one night where we went to 27, but again just for a few hours.  As I recall we went below freezing that night just after midnight hovering in the 30-32 range, and then the dip around 5am.  Back above freezing by 9am.  Year before that, the low was probably 30.  Hard frost, where the temps are around 35 to 37 are usually more damaging than actual freezes.  The coldest I remember since moving here 8 years ago was 24 degrees and again, that was only for a few hours.  One year, we never had a freeze and only one light frost.  I am on a ridge, 17 feet above sea level, dead between Vermillion Bay and the Atchafalaya Basin both of which moderate temperatures nicley.  Were it not for 5 to 7 nights a year, we would be close to Zone 10, which is why so many folks push it here and protect when necessary.  I am just getting lazier as I get older.  If it can't handle those 5 to 7 nights I might just let it go.   :D

27 to 28 C or 80F in midyear and 32C or 90F in January and summer months but it differs in certain currents and of course gets cooler with the deep.

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

Keith, Louisiana and especially Southern Louisiana is an incredible spot and one of my favorite states. The mix between your huge Live Oaks and sub-tropical foliage is very different.That coupled with the European feel from the French background makes it  completely out of the ordinary.Glad to hear Citrus and others are back after 1989!Sorry to be off-topic.

• 4 weeks later...

Ocean temp dropping as winter nears

Santa Monica Bay/LA: 61F

San Diego Bay: 62F

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

(happ @ Dec. 02 2007,16:18)

Ocean temp dropping as winter nears

Same here Happ.  Off the coast in Tarpon Springs, the water is running 74-75F.  

Further down south in Naples, its still warmer and still hanging around 77-78F.

Miami and the Keys also look to be around 77-78F.

Larry 

• 2 weeks later...

Larry posted this national ocean water temp site on another thread

http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/all.html

I found it very enlightening esp as I realized how much ocean temps vary along the Atlantic.  Summer water temps are warmer in New York than California but the Atlantic Ocean takes a big nose dive by winter.  In-fact even northern Florida experiences colder ocean temps during winter than in California.

The Gulf Stream must play a major role during summer.  Why not during winter?  ???

The Pacific Ocean is generally cool but doesn't vary much from summer to winter [approximately 10 degrees F - mainly near 60F in winter to near 70F in summer in SoCal & less than 10 degree spread in NorCal.

These factors have an influence on seasons & why coastal California has such little difference from winter to summer  :P

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Happ, Your conclusion that the Gulf Stream has no effect in the Winter is spurious.Just to the North of Jupiter Island, the Steam begins to move further and further off the coast of Florida.By the time you reach Fernandina,which is the only location with a current water temperaure for Florida, it takes almost four hours to reach by boat.At Palm Beach,it is approximately one to two miles off our coast.On December 17,2007,Weather Underground reports Ocean temperature at 79F.Interestingly,Key West and Naples report Ocean temperature at 75F.and 71F. respectively.Your conclusion that the Stream has no effect in Winter but only in Summer shows a misunderstanding of the effect  of the proximity of the Stream to any given location and it's corresponding effect on climate.

(bubba @ Dec. 17 2007,20:45)

Happ, Your conclusion that the Gulf Stream has no effect in the Winter is spurious.Just to the North of Jupiter Island, the Steam begins to move further and further off the coast of Florida.By the time you reach Fernandina,which is the only location with a current water temperaure for Florida, it takes almost four hours to reach by boat.At Palm Beach,it is approximately one to two miles off our coast.On December 17,2007,Weather Underground reports Ocean temperature at 79F.Interestingly,Key West and Naples report Ocean temperature at 75F.and 71F. respectively.Your conclusion that the Stream has no effect in Winter but only in Summer shows a misunderstanding of the effect  of the proximity of the Stream to any given location and it's corresponding effect on climate.

Pictures, we want pictures.  We are waiting, we know your name, and we know where you live.   You can't escape from the inevitable.  :-)

Keith,Pictures will be delivered together with proof of life.I was OITB over the weekend and attendant technical problems together with exhausitive union bargaining have put me behind the curve.The cure is close at hand.

Dec.24,2007-Surf temp.Palm Beach,Fla.-77F.Some nice waves at Reef Road beach being enjoyed. Water is very Blue.

(MattyB @ Nov. 05 2007,07:59)

I'm a Southern California local and I always wear my full suit while surfing until the water temp exceeds 70F and it's a sunny day.  This usually only lasts for a month or so.  I get so cold that it's not fun out there shivering like a chihuahua.  I don't care how dumb I look with a suit in summer.  You Florida guys can understand but in CA if you're out in the middle of summer with a full suit on you get some dirty  looks.  I gotta muscle up and not wear my botties and hoodie so I don't look like a lamo!  But it's cold bra!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I can't surf with numb feet!

Matty, I have to confess there are not a whole lots of benefits of getting older (51), but one is the older you get the less and less you give a cr$p about what anyone else thinks of you and what you do.  Merry Christmas.   :D  :D  :D

Todays ocean water temp reading in Tarpon Springs was also 76F.  Perhaps this will help soemwhat with the front arriving over the next few days.

Larry 

ocean temperature in san diego california usa today 58F - 14.5 C

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

New month/new season & water temps are still dropping  :( wish we had ocean temps like in Florida

57F - Los Angeles

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

(happ @ Jan. 02 2008,15:53)

New month/new season & water temps are still dropping  :( wish we had ocean temps like in Florida

57F - Los Angeles

Happ-

Id keep your current water temp!

See that 76F I posted a few rungs up?  Im not sure if there is an error in the reporting or not, but that same station is now reporting 52F!  And, it was as low as 50F earlier today!  That is a massive massive drop in 2 days.

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Jan. 02 2008,17:49)

(happ @ Jan. 02 2008,15:53)

57F - Los Angeles

Happ-

Id keep your current water temp!

See that 76F I posted a few rungs up?  Im not sure if there is an error in the reporting or not, but that same station is now reporting 52F!  And, it was as low as 50F earlier today!  That is a massive massive drop in 2 days.

Now Im not so sure about the USF station here in Tarpon Springs.  According to their data, the Gulf water temperture is now 34F  :D

Larry 

Larry,That water is cold!I am sure you are getting alot of haze given the difference in air Temp.It seems likely you have discovered a new current previously unknown to mankind.Water temp.near Tampa is 58F.and Palm Beach reports 75F.Congratulations and I look forward to your upcoming articles in National Geographic and perhaps an invitation to the Award Ceremonies!

Jan.14,2008-Thought it would be interesting to compare some water temperatures around the nation during "midwinter".Port Isabel,Tx-64F;Galveston,Tx.-55F;Los Angeles,Ca.-56F;Jacksonville,Fl.-lower 60'sF.;Ft.Myers,Fl.70F;Palm Beach,Fl.-75F;Key West,Fl.-75F.

(bubba @ Jan. 07 2008,06:54)

Larry,That water is cold!I am sure you are getting alot of haze given the difference in air Temp.It seems likely you have discovered a new current previously unknown to mankind.Water temp.near Tampa is 58F.and Palm Beach reports 75F.Congratulations and I look forward to your upcoming articles in National Geographic and perhaps an invitation to the Award Ceremonies!

Bubba-

Yes.......this was a rather odd reading.  But, I confirmed it later that day as I took a quick ride to the recording station and did in fact see some penguins floating in from the north on some moderately sized icebergs.  So, it appears the reading was indeed accurate.

However as of yesterday, this same station was showing 70F water temp.  So, the penguins are all stranded on the sand for the time being.

Larry 

Not much change from earlier this month:

SAN CLEMENTE BASIN: 58F  

SANTA MONICA BASIN: 59F

SANTA BARBARA CHANNEL: 57F  

LOS ANGELES: 58F

SAN DIEGO: 58F

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Larry,There waiting for the next Big Bang,obviously.

Happ,Weather Underground reported Los angeles area beaches as 55F to 57F.I rounded to 56F. I am sure your sources are better.On another note, I thought you would find the Florida water temperatures of interest.Specifically,Ft.Myers at 70F even though it is further South than Palm Beach at 75F.Perhaps even more interesting is Key West(substantially further South)at 75F.This illustates the effect of the Stream or that is my admittedly amateur conclusion.

Bubba,

Not to disregard the effects of the Gulf Stream, but there is another factor in play with those temps also. I would agree that the actual stream is probaly 3-5 degrees warmer than water that abuts it!

The  other factor is depth. The Gulf of Mexico is a shallower body of water than the Atlantic, therefore it both cools faster ,and warms faster than the deeper Atlantic! And the water sorrounding Key West  where the gulf meets the Atlantic(technically the Carribean Sea) is definately shallower!

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Scott, If you read about the Stream,it is interesting to note that it is much closer to Marathon in the Key's than Key West.I am not knowledgeable about the depths of the corresponding water in Key West vs.Marathon but find it interesting in tracking the highest low temperatures in the 48 that Marathon is almost always several degrees warmer than Key West. I found this unexpected.The depth of the Stream,which is only 2 miles off our coast is muy,  muy.How far is the Stream from Titusville?Does Collingsworth ever come back and say hello to his friends?

Bubba-

Heres a plot from weather.com showing average lows for Key West and Marathon Shores.  This seems suspicious to me.  Honestly, I suspect Key West is warmer, but not by this much.

keywestmarathon.jpg

Larry