IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Santa Catarina and S. Schizo “Parrot Mule”

NWpalms@206

Found some cool palms today. These ones may be pushing it for 8b but I am on the warm side,  maybe even 9a in the south facing all day sun, microclimates I’ve got, and naturally sandy loam soil. But probably gonna stay in pots until outgrow 13’ greenhouse. A couple Santa Catarina Queens that were hand picked seeds in Brazil by the individual who sold them to me so they should be legit. And a 5gal “Parrot Mule” that’s a Wilcox Jubutia F3 x Syag. Schizophylla. Which only around 100 exist?   A Good deal and they were a mile from where I work Figured why not. 

F4FCC28C-E18B-42D8-BA04-E5FF8BAA1D04.jpeg

6D757113-A3F4-411E-B3D6-2B878BA09D2E.jpeg

• Like 5

Nice.   I know the guy who made the hybrid...lives just a few miles up the road from me.  He keeps saying he's going to do another round of this but hasn't yet.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Scott W said:

Nice.   I know the guy who made the hybrid...lives just a few miles up the road from me.  He keeps saying he's going to do another round of this but hasn't yet.  

Nice! I wonder what else he’ll come up with this spring, hopefully JxQ! Is that lindberg by any chance I believe my source (wanderlust) did say his name. But we chatted about all the palm legends, Patrick, Frank Lewis, Merrill Wilcox, Lindberg. Proud to have hybrids from them all now! 

Yes, that would be Rich Lindberg.  He's got a super secret hybrid which he won't even tell me what the pollen donor was, and at some point once they mature he'll be producing hybrids with his Jubutia F3 x Jubaea.  Those are absolutely stunning and look very much like Jubaea!!!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jesse PNW said:

I think Frank Lewis is the only name on that list I'm not familiar with.  Where is he based out of?

He's the owner of Moultrie Palms in St. Augustine, FL, he produces mules and super mules.  Rich works quite a bit with him in the super mule production, as both have mature Merrill Wilcox Jubutia F3 trees and that's the mother for the super mule.

• Upvote 1

I messaged Rich on Facebook a couple weeks ago but he never got back to me.  Does he sell retail for mail order?

1 minute ago, Scott W said:

Yes, that would be Rich Lindberg.  He's got a super secret hybrid which he won't even tell me what the pollen donor was, and at some point once they mature he'll be producing hybrids with his Jubutia F3 x Jubaea.  Those are absolutely stunning and look very much like Jubaea!!!

I saw the jubutia f3 x jubaea pics they look great! And ooh a mystery hybrid now I’m curious. That f3xJ crossed with say a Santa Catarina queen could be the golden ticket if the cross is possible. Could call it the Golden Mule cuz it’ll be worth its weight in gold. I’d pay a stupid price for a JxQ!

Just now, NWpalms@206 said:

I saw the jubutia f3 x jubaea pics they look great! And ooh a mystery hybrid now I’m curious. That f3xJ crossed with say a Santa Catarina queen could be the golden ticket if the cross is possible. Could call it the Golden Mule cuz it’ll be worth its weight in gold. I’d pay a stupid price for a JxQ!

Lol, I like the name, I'll be sure to pass it on!!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

Oh ok.  Thanks.  Didn't know who operated Moultrie.  

They were great when I ordered. Elaine his wife was very pleasant to work with and they’re super palms arrived looking great. And for 40$ each I almost felt bad! Mine were the last two shipped for the year but I’m gonna get 2 more as soon as they ship again. She said they do have a reasonable supply heading into new year but they go fast. 

F4ADEE02-251A-4819-9D55-ABB40ACD9EF9.jpeg

D1F3D385-70A0-49D6-8806-7197E7E368CC.jpeg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

I messaged Rich on Facebook a couple weeks ago but he never got back to me.  Does he sell retail for mail order?

As of right now he does not, he primarily deals with a few vendors.  Is there something in particular you're looking for?

34 minutes ago, Scott W said:

Lol, I like the name, I'll be sure to pass it on!!!

If he uses my name I get a free one right!? Haha nah just let me buy one and I’ll be happy! 

55 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

They were great when I ordered. Elaine his wife was very pleasant to work with and they’re super palms arrived looking great. And for 40$ each I almost felt bad! Mine were the last two shipped for the year but I’m gonna get 2 more as soon as they ship again. She said they do have a reasonable supply heading into new year but they go fast. 

F4ADEE02-251A-4819-9D55-ABB40ACD9EF9.jpeg

D1F3D385-70A0-49D6-8806-7197E7E368CC.jpeg

$40 is a steal!  I'll probably be ordering this spring as well!  Also u love your Christmas trees back there!  Can't wait til mine are big enough to do that with.  I used to think Christmas lights on palms are tacky but I love it now.  What could be happier than a joyful palm tree with the Christmas spirit?

54 minutes ago, Scott W said:

As of right now he does not, he primarily deals with a few vendors.  Is there something in particular you're looking for?

I wondered what he had available.   I've seen some of his posts on the hybrid FB group but I wonder if he has a list like Patric does. 

1 hour ago, Jesse PNW said:

$40 is a steal!  I'll probably be ordering this spring as well!  Also u love your Christmas trees back there!  Can't wait til mine are big enough to do that with.  I used to think Christmas lights on palms are tacky but I love it now.  What could be happier than a joyful palm tree with the Christmas spirit?

I wondered what he had available.   I've seen some of his posts on the hybrid FB group but I wonder if he has a list like Patric does. 

I know right! Great deal. And I love the palm tree Christmas. Done correctly that is, think we’ve all seen the palm lights meme haha. 

• 1 year later...
On 12/23/2021 at 3:51 PM, NWpalms@206 said:

I know right! Great deal. And I love the palm tree Christmas. Done correctly that is, think we’ve all seen the palm lights meme haha. 

Hey how’s your Palms doing ?

• Upvote 1

On 7/16/2023 at 1:42 PM, Robbertico18 said:

The Santa Catarina Queen seedlings unfortunately couldn’t hang in the unheated greenhouse, and perished. I Should have brought them inside. But all my others Doing great I’ll shoot some pics tonight! Been so busy haven’t been on here much lately, but time for some updates. 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2023 at 1:42 PM, Robbertico18 said:

Here's one of my 'Parrot Mules' that's doing alright. Very upright habit and slow growing for me.

20230720_114101(0).jpg

20230720_114046.jpg

20230720_114037.jpg

20230720_114031.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, matthedlund said:

Here's one of my 'Parrot Mules' that's doing alright. Very upright habit and slow growing for me.

20230720_114101(0).jpg

20230720_114046.jpg

20230720_114037.jpg

20230720_114031.jpg

How long have you had this palm?

3 hours ago, Robbertico18 said:

How long have you had this palm?

That's a good question. I would have bought it maybe 3 or 4 years ago as a strap leaf seedling?

8 hours ago, Robbertico18 said:

Oh dang!

I wonder if it would be faster in the humid south east 

Maybe! I'm in the PNW and we're quite cool here. It is bigger than it looks, it's in a 15 gallon pot and about 4 feet tall above the soil.

47 minutes ago, matthedlund said:

Maybe! I'm in the PNW and we're quite cool here. It is bigger than it looks, it's in a 15 gallon pot and about 4 feet tall above the soil.

Oh dang!

yeah the picture makes it look deceivingly small 

Sorry for delay, here’s my larger of 2 parrot mules. Mine did go through a stage of being very upright but now have more arching fronds. A unique trunk and fibers. 

IMG_7856.jpeg

IMG_7857.jpeg

On 7/23/2023 at 4:39 PM, NWpalms@206 said:

Sorry for delay, here’s my larger of 2 parrot mules. Mine did go through a stage of being very upright but now have more arching fronds. A unique trunk and fibers. 

IMG_7857.jpeg

Who made this cross, if you don’t mind me asking?

18 hours ago, RJ said:

Who made this cross, if you don’t mind me asking?

That would be Rich Lindberg in FL. One of mine came from Matt who commented above, and the other from Dave Alverez before he moved to Georgia. But both are Rich's Cross, as far as i know hes the only one to have done this hybrid.

• Like 1