IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pacific Northwest Arctic Outbreak?

Collectorpalms

10 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

Well @Chester B so far it seems like you have stayed warmer than all of the forecasts.  Hopefully it continues to hold true.  But low 20s isn't bad.  Especially with all the protecting you've done. 

Yesterday was colder than predicted, but it was better than what they were showing last week.

I didn’t quite get everything protected, just ran out of steam. I felt like I wasted my time protecting those plants after the forecast improved, but now I’m glad I did. This cold is lasting longer than predicted. I’m not nearly as stressed as I would be if I hadn’t done it. 

• Like 3

It’s melting fast here now. I took the dogs for a walk and water is flowing everywhere. Snow dropping out of trees all over even without the sun or any breeze. It’s foggy from all the snow melting. 

• Like 2

Last night low was predicted to be 18F, it only got down to 28F, no complaints! But tonight is the same low temp which I don't think we have. 

I've got some serious icicle coming off the house and some palm trees too. But only in the warmer areas or the garden like next to the house. I want to unwrap everything but know I can't yet, lol.  :rolleyes: I just want my green jungle back. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jesse PNW said:

It may be a winter wonderland out there, but in here we're still zone 13. 

20211228_115649.jpg

20211228_115802.jpg

Jesse, don't mean to be a downer but any new leaves that grow on your red banana over winter (inside) will die as soon as you put them in sun this spring.  Just so you know.   I cut my leaves off and they still grow in a 55F in a shead.  NIce set up you have!

• Like 1

I used to overwinter the bananas in the basement after cutting off leaves, then just overwintered the whole plants in a chilly but frost free garage. But I tend to stick to the hardiest bananas..., Orinocos, Darjeeling (M. sikkimensis), Chinese (Lasiocarpa), Japanese basjoo, and even Ensete are pretty hardy, while Dwarf Cavindish can be iffy out there.  Just about no snow or winer here on the other coast, weird.   BTW, the great thing about snow up in north country is how bright the indoor light will be for you once the sun comes out.

• Like 1

Just got home.... looks like it melted pretty good today when I left this morning it was 32 with about 4 to 5 inches on the ground....palms look beat down a bit from the weight but pulled threw...eucs were champs...

1640731123231647488931289150122.jpg

16407311405504328240252854762719.jpg

164073116903294510646031474710.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Paradise Found said:

Jesse, don't mean to be a downer but any new leaves that grow on your red banana over winter (inside) will die as soon as you put them in sun this spring.  Just so you know.   I cut my leaves off and they still grow in a 55F in a shead.  NIce set up you have!

It was either cut all the leaves off and leave them in the greenhouse, or bring them in so they can contribute to my indoor jungle.  I don't mind chopping leaves off when I move them back outside so long as they're bigger than last year.  

4 minutes ago, Hutch said:

Nice set up Jessie...looks like its a fun place to hangout in ....!!

I like it.  The Bananas and Aroids are looking ratty already, they'll barely be hanging on by the time spring rolls around.  The Ensetes are holding up will but they also don't enjoy being indoors.  Maybe I should install more grow lights.  

• Like 1

Welp, I don't know about you folks, but I'm looking forward to summer already :bemused:

I put up my protections late, on the 25th, when there was already snow on the ground here in Vancouver. Brought some of the more tender plants into a cold garage (Avocado 'Mexicola', Chamaedorea radicallis, Trachycarpus latisectus, Washingtonoa, etc). Most of my Butias are in pots and are covered by a tarp. 

I bought two strings of lights and a 'weather station' yesterday and set it up to measure the temperature outside, as well as inside the tarp protecting the plants. Nighttime low was -10.8°C /12.5F outdoors, and -4.7°C / 23.5F under the tarp with the lights. 

This winter will definitely be a test of hardiness for many things; I've got two Butias in the ground and unprotected, Aloiampelos striatula in the ground and mostly covered by a pile of snow. Last winter I had left out some pots of Heliconia to die, but they surprised me by surviving totally wet and exposed to the cold. I used them to weigh down the corners of my tarps, so this will test them even further!

Photos below are from today, last night, and a few from before the snow fell.

20211228_123350.jpg

20211228_105243.jpg

20211228_105136.jpg

20211228_105050.jpg

20211226_112820.jpg

20211227_181703.jpg

20211221_115355.jpg

20211221_115506.jpg

20211221_115535.jpg

• Like 5

@Phyllostachys I wish you the best. I was looking at Vancouvers weather today and it seems pretty frosty. Looks like you have 4 more days to go. I sure hope this is it for this winter. 

• Like 1

Looks like I will end this year with a low of 22F,  9a is not that bad, but the duration of cold weather,  sure was a long time. 

Edited by Paradise Found

2 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

Looks like I will end this year with a low of 22F 9a is not that bad, but the duration sure was a long time. 

Wednesday overnight is projected to be our coldest temp by a long shot at 21F. Well I hope we won’t get colder as winter continues. That’s the coldest I’ve seen in 5 years. 

12 minutes ago, Chester B said:

Wednesday overnight is projected to be our coldest temp by a long shot at 21F. Well I hope we won’t get colder as winter continues. That’s the coldest I’ve seen in 5 years. 

It all depends on what time the clouds go away after midnight on Wednesday night. It could get colder but I don't think so, Maybe I will tie my low 

It’s a balmy -3.5C at home right now, looks like we are through the worst of it. Looking forward to the projected +8C in nanoose by Sunday. I’m heading home tomorrow and should have an idea of how everything did by then. 

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

7 minutes ago, ShadyDan said:

It’s a balmy -3.5C at home right now, looks like we are through the worst of it. Looking forward to the projected +8C in nanoose by Sunday. I’m heading home tomorrow and should have an idea of how everything did by then. 

I did hear that Thursday another round of snow is forecast up and down the island. EC is showing 3°C / 37°F for Sunday. :(

I’d give the models a C grade on this Arctic Blast. 
I did hear Vancouver BC was coldest in 5 decades, and Alaska had an all time high of 65F for December. And Fairbanks broke a daily high record, also going up 65 degrees in less than 72Hrs. 
They went too low at first for Seattle and Portland  but gradually got better. but when a model is going coldest ever, it’s probably not going to happen. But I’d rather be on the side of going to bed thinking it’s going to be 20 and waking up at 30 instead of zero. 
Winter has just began and the next blast of winter there isn’t much agreement on models. 
I did see this model run, and this would be much more conducive for cold air into the Willamette Valley, With easterly winds down the Columbia Gorge. The 1055Mb over BC, is 30Mb stronger than this Arctic blast. 
10-16 days is just too far in advance to accurately predict anything other than remind us it’s winter. 

CCC484DA-7517-4ACE-AA86-2BA9343B4A0B.jpeg

B04255DD-E4D2-4134-8B35-FAF5F6F9764B.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Surface Map of January 31, 1950. Seattle high of 20, low of zero. Sorry not sure why resolution is lost when posted. 

16124B60-5910-489E-B8EA-3124850C8054.jpeg

024DF974-1B67-4CE2-BC91-7F2C2EC6BD55.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 2

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

1 hour ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

I did hear that Thursday another round of snow is forecast up and down the island. EC is showing 3°C / 37°F for Sunday. :(

I’m hoping this model is right. But won’t put money on it. 

26C10965-F678-4136-B80D-17AE176FDCC0.png

• Like 1

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

2 hours ago, Paradise Found said:

Here we go again, was suppose to be in the low 20's tonight, but my low is 31F.  HaHa! Love it when their wrong. 

Your cold must've shifted my way. 14°F / -10°C this morning here. :huh:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ShadyDan said:

I’m hoping this model is right. But won’t put money on it. 

AccuWeather is showing 6°C / 42°F for Sunday. Some variability which leads me to believe there's a degree of uncertainty at this point.

1 hour ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

Barrie turns out my low was at 8am at 27F.  Still better than 21F. We need some westerly winds to push this cold cell out of here. 

1 hour ago, Paradise Found said:

Barrie turns out my low was at 8am at 27F.  Still better than 21F. We need some westerly winds to push this cold cell out of here. 

It's going to be a hell of a mess when the rain meets the melting snow. Pretty much nothing surprises me now. 

• Like 2

My snow is mostly gone but the East Wind has started blowing. It’s a weather phenomenon we get here in Portland due to the Columbia River gorge. Brings hot dry air in summer and cold dry air in winter. Big gusts and it has caused our temp to drop to the coldest experienced during this arctic blast. 26F when I woke up this morning and the temps are going to seesaw until the middle of the night where south wind will be moving in to push it out.  The wind really desiccates the plants and this is the first time the ground is frozen.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

It was -10°C / 14F this morning in Van too.

Gov't off Canada and The Weather Network both say that the worst of the cold is behind us, though this evening will still be bitterly cold at -8°C / 17.5F before warming up overnight.

Edited by Phyllostachys
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Hutch said:

Just got home.... looks like it melted pretty good today when I left this morning it was 32 with about 4 to 5 inches on the ground....palms look beat down a bit from the weight but pulled threw...eucs were champs...

1640731123231647488931289150122.jpg

16407311405504328240252854762719.jpg

164073116903294510646031474710.jpg

Great. What was the coldest it got in your area?

18 hours ago, Phyllostachys said:

Welp, I don't know about you folks, but I'm looking forward to summer already :bemused:

I put up my protections late, on the 25th, when there was already snow on the ground here in Vancouver. Brought some of the more tender plants into a cold garage (Avocado 'Mexicola', Chamaedorea radicallis, Trachycarpus latisectus, Washingtonoa, etc). Most of my Butias are in pots and are covered by a tarp. 

I bought two strings of lights and a 'weather station' yesterday and set it up to measure the temperature outside, as well as inside the tarp protecting the plants. Nighttime low was -10.8°C /12.5F outdoors, and -4.7°C / 23.5F under the tarp with the lights. 

This winter will definitely be a test of hardiness for many things; I've got two Butias in the ground and unprotected, Aloiampelos striatula in the ground and mostly covered by a pile of snow. Last winter I had left out some pots of Heliconia to die, but they surprised me by surviving totally wet and exposed to the cold. I used them to weigh down the corners of my tarps, so this will test them even further!

Photos below are from today, last night, and a few from before the snow fell.

20211228_123350.jpg

20211228_105243.jpg

20211228_105136.jpg

20211228_105050.jpg

20211226_112820.jpg

20211227_181703.jpg

20211221_115355.jpg

20211221_115506.jpg

20211221_115535.jpg

Great job. but I am surprised it was still below freezing with lights and a tarp. Is this usual for you?

2 hours ago, vistaprime said:

Great job. but I am surprised it was still below freezing with lights and a tarp. Is this usual for you?

It was the first night with the xmas lights, I installed the lights in the evening after the cold was already here, and the tarp edges have air gaps. I only have one temperature sensor to put under the tarps, so I put it under the tarp that gets colder/has more gaps around the edges.

Last night was night #2 with this setup, and the temperature only went down to -3°C /26.5F, even though it got to -10°C /14F outside. The plants under the tarps are all relatively hardy (Butia, Owari mandarin, kumquat, Magnolia maudiae, Agaves, etc), so they should be fine with this protection even though it's going below freezing.

10 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

@Collectorpalms where do you get those historic maps? 

Here you go, select PDF.

https://library.noaa.gov/Collections/Digital-Collections/US-Daily-Weather-Maps

• Like 1

Low last night was 29F for two hrs and 32F the rest of the night.  currently snowing with a high of 38F today.  On the other side of the hills to the west it is raining and going to come my way I hope.

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 1

Just got hit last night with a dump of snow 6”/15cm. Wish we had this much before the deep freeze as insulation for the plants. No major roads have been cleaned typical Vancouver! Never ready especially when they were numerous warnings for a couple of days.

1BCDCED9-5D74-4B0B-8147-69CA5DEBA917.jpeg

Edited by southpacific73
  • Like 2

Has anyones low temperature been outside of a normal winter low for their zone? Looks like most people commenting lows in the 20’s. 

20 minutes ago, teddytn said:

Has anyones low temperature been outside of a normal winter low for their zone? Looks like most people commenting lows in the 20’s. 

I have not, the lowest I’ve seen so far is 25F which is pretty typical. However the amount of time below freezing has already exceeded what I would see all winter. Plus the amount of consecutive hours below freezing has been much higher than average. 

@southpacific73 that sounds like how things were here until about 5 years ago. The last Arctic storm we had shut the city down for days and the roads were a mess for another week. Everyone freaked out and demanded change. Since then major changes have been made so major roads get cleared more quickly but surface streets don’t other than major ones never see a plow.  

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 3

I am just up the hill from salt water about 1/4 mile or less, and I get a lot of marine air from the ocean on cloudy days.   thats why I say I am right on the board of 8b. Three inches of new snow last night. current temps at 34F 10 am.  When we have clear nights that when it can get really cold here.  Last year my low was 25F because it was snowing.  I've had  big snowy events where the high was 31F and the low 30F. 

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 1