IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

In depth analysis of the Athens Riviera climate and palm potential

southathens

To your question to "can cocos survive in the Athens Riviera" no they can't unless if you keep them indoors from December to March. Athens is very prone to extreme cold spells. Prolonged cool highs are not uncommon during winters. I'm unsure about freezes, but snowfall is neither that uncommon. In 2021 the city got paralyzed by heavy snowfall. I've seen it even on the news here. Not sure about heavy snowfall either as I'm not Greek, but it seems light snowfall and single digit highs are not rare even in southern Greece. 

On 1/19/2022 at 5:11 PM, Phoenikakias said:

You call this close to 0 C ?! 

Screenshot_20220119-081913_Weather.thumb.jpg.3cb0cd069ff36264275e214504f80c89.jpg

-4 C equal 25 F but with ice on the foliage and persisting negative or zero minimum values in the following days. Sorry, this sounds even more serious than the notorious 2004 cold spell. I can tell you from first hand what it will happen. All crownshafted palms plus the Kentias and all Chamaedoreas except radicalis and microspadix will perish.  Phoenix roebelenii is done also. Parajubaea toralyi is at great risk, same Jubaeopsis and Beccariophoenix alfredii. Even life of Phoenix reclinata will be at stake.  If 2004 repeats, I get promptly out of the hobby and all palm fora.

How normal are such temps? I have seen snowfall is not uncommon in Athens, during the XXI century quite a few winters got very packed, the last one in February 2021 which got very deep snow even at the Nea Smyrni coastline. This proves that annual mean is not everything, as winters are the most important when growing palms and tropical trees/fruits. 

I am not sure about heavy freezes, but the problem are these single digit highs, and if they're accompanied by snowfall, then it's a dead end for tropicals.

I just can say, protect your palms and royals at all costs! Maybe you can keep them alive. Although if it gets that cold, the roots can get frozen as well. 

• Like 1

I live in Altea, Spain 38°34'N 0º03'O. USDA zone 11a. Coastal microclimate sheltered by mountains. 
The coconuts shown in my avatar are from the Canary Islands, Spain ! :)

1 hour ago, Alicante said:

To your question to "can cocos survive in the Athens Riviera" no they can't unless if you keep them indoors from December to March. Athens is very prone to extreme cold spells. Prolonged cool highs are not uncommon during winters. I'm unsure about freezes, but snowfall is neither that uncommon. In 2021 the city got paralyzed by heavy snowfall. I've seen it even on the news here. Not sure about heavy snowfall either as I'm not Greek, but it seems light snowfall and single digit highs are not rare even in southern Greece. 

How normal are such temps? I have seen snowfall is not uncommon in Athens, during the XXI century quite a few winters got very packed, the last one in February 2021 which got very deep snow even at the Nea Smyrni coastline. This proves that annual mean is not everything, as winters are the most important when growing palms and tropical trees/fruits. 

I am not sure about heavy freezes, but the problem are these single digit highs, and if they're accompanied by snowfall, then it's a dead end for tropicals.

I just can say, protect your palms and royals at all costs! Maybe you can keep them alive. Although if it gets that cold, the roots can get frozen as well. 

On one thing you are most probably right: Cocos will not survive in long term at the Athens Riviera. As you correctly say: averages are not everything. Winters are too cool in most parts of greece. Although many tropical/subtropical plants thrive there, really tropicals cannot...

As for your other conclusion, I think it is not completely correct. Snow events in Attica are common only for the mountainous and northern parts. It is not common for the City Center, and even rarer for coastal parts or southern suburbs. You can see the exeptionality of the upcomming weather based on the news coverage in greek TV and Newspapers (if you can read greek).

The course of greek winter weather can be very extreme. One of the main reasons is the shaping of the jetstreams. That is the cause of this upcoming cold snap, but it can also be the cause of hot air masses being sucked from the sahara to greece - along with large amounts of dust. The latter occours more often, than the other way round, about one or two times every winter.  This is why the absolute highest recorded winter temperatures of Europe are usually being recorded in Greece. (I do not inlcude the canaries to Europe, because they belong technically to Africa). The other side of the same medal is cold air being pushed southwards, which also occours every winter, but not in that extend, as we see it now. Usually it affects only the north of Greece. In that extend as we see it now, it occours once every 20 years ore more. When the cold air is pushed this far, it meets the relatively warm Aegean Sea and heavy snowfalls pour down on the greek islands and coastal areas of attica, although the temperature can be well above freezing. One of the most extrem such events was in south Crete near of Ierapetra, where it snowed at 8°C a couple of years ago. Cold snaps in Spain show other symptoms, although the jetstream is one of the main causes as well. Because of the massive land masses of the iberian peninsula, your cold snaps are a bit dryer. Cold spells in your region are more often triggerd by high air pressure, clear nights and radiational freezes.

1 hour ago, Janni said:

On one thing you are most probably right: Cocos will not survive in long term at the Athens Riviera. As you correctly say: averages are not everything. Winters are too cool in most parts of greece. Although many tropical/subtropical plants thrive there, really tropicals cannot...

As for your other conclusion, I think it is not completely correct. Snow events in Attica are common only for the mountainous and northern parts. It is not common for the City Center, and even rarer for coastal parts or southern suburbs. You can see the exeptionality of the upcomming weather based on the news coverage in greek TV and Newspapers (if you can read greek).

The course of greek winter weather can be very extreme. One of the main reasons is the shaping of the jetstreams. That is the cause of this upcoming cold snap, but it can also be the cause of hot air masses being sucked from the sahara to greece - along with large amounts of dust. The latter occours more often, than the other way round, about one or two times every winter.  This is why the absolute highest recorded winter temperatures of Europe are usually being recorded in Greece. (I do not inlcude the canaries to Europe, because they belong technically to Africa). The other side of the same medal is cold air being pushed southwards, which also occours every winter, but not in that extend, as we see it now. Usually it affects only the north of Greece. In that extend as we see it now, it occours once every 20 years ore more. When the cold air is pushed this far, it meets the relatively warm Aegean Sea and heavy snowfalls pour down on the greek islands and coastal areas of attica, although the temperature can be well above freezing. One of the most extrem such events was in south Crete near of Ierapetra, where it snowed at 8°C a couple of years ago. Cold snaps in Spain show other symptoms, although the jetstream is one of the main causes as well. Because of the massive land masses of the iberian peninsula, your cold snaps are a bit dryer. Cold spells in your region are more often triggerd by high air pressure, clear nights and radiational freezes.

Oh sure, I've never said it's a common thing. I know it's not. I've just said it's not either extremely rare. Because for example, the city of Athens and coastal areas saw snow in both 2019 and 2021 and the actual forecast shows snow during Monday and Tuesday in Athens, Nea Smyrni, Piraeus, and so on. That would make 3 snowfalls in 4 years in a row. I guess it's just light snowfall but it's "snowy" compared to other places in coastal southern Europe. I know sometimes it can snow without freezing, that's why I asked information about the freezes.

I know the 2021 snowfall was unusual and very rare, of course, that's why I have mentioned it above. It was heavy in some parts of Athens, and that's obviously very unusual.
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2021/feb/16/unusually-heavy-snow-blankets-athens-in-pictures

I was asking the opinion of @Phoenikakias because he actually owns an exotic garden and he always records and shares his temperatures as well as the impact on his garden. And the actual forecast shows both snow and freezing lows in most of southern Greece. I know there are warmer microclimates, so that's why I asked for further information to you, Greek guys. I also agree with you, sometimes it can also get extreme but on the opposite, with temperatures much above the normal average. Of course!

Edited by Alicante
  • Like 1

I live in Altea, Spain 38°34'N 0º03'O. USDA zone 11a. Coastal microclimate sheltered by mountains. 

20220121_150442.thumb.jpg.188a376d5fed67647985b071860037d8.jpg20220121_153927.thumb.jpg.debda08b0f3d19d9c2ffe1faa645e2a2.jpgOne pucture equals 1000 words. Two or more pictures need ... a book! (Archontophoenix and Pritchardia prepared for the imminent cold spell).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alicante said:

Oh sure, I've never said it's a common thing. I know it's not. I've just said it's not either extremely rare. Because for example, the city of Athens and coastal areas saw snow in both 2019 and 2021 and the actual forecast shows snow during Monday and Tuesday in Athens, Nea Smyrni, Piraeus, and so on. That would make 3 snowfalls in 4 years in a row. I guess it's just light snowfall but it's "snowy" compared to other places in coastal southern Europe. I know sometimes it can snow without freezing, that's why I asked information about the freezes.

I know the 2021 snowfall was unusual and very rare, of course, that's why I have mentioned it above. It was heavy in some parts of Athens, and that's obviously very unusual.
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2021/feb/16/unusually-heavy-snow-blankets-athens-in-pictures

ok. now I got your point. I was referring to the cold air masses, which are always accompanied by precipitation in greece.

Usually you have heavy winter rain in greece with very high amounts. With this amount of precitpitaion, you have a higher probability, that is comes down as snow, when you have cold air in the atmosphere. I think that is all, although that is only an educated guess based on the general conditions. 

When it comes to snowfalls on greek islands and coastal parts, it is often heavy snowfall with large and wet snowflakes. In these events the snow piles up a few centimeters very quickly, although the temperature is above 0°C. For tender plants, the dangerous part of this is, when snow melts and then freezes on the leafes on the following night, when temperatures actually are around 0°C.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Phoenikakias said:

20220121_150442.thumb.jpg.188a376d5fed67647985b071860037d8.jpg20220121_153927.thumb.jpg.debda08b0f3d19d9c2ffe1faa645e2a2.jpgOne pucture equals 1000 words. Two or more pictures need ... a book! (Archontophoenix and Pritchardia prepared for the imminent cold spell).

:greenthumb:

On 1/21/2022 at 1:40 PM, Alicante said:

I was asking the opinion of @Phoenikakias because he actually owns an exotic garden and he always records and shares his temperatures as well as the impact on his garden. And the actual forecast shows both snow and freezing lows in most of southern Greece. I know there are warmer microclimates, so that's why I asked for further information to you, Greek guys. I also agree with you, sometimes it can also get extreme but on the opposite, with temperatures much above the normal average. Of course!

The best way to shed some light to the puzzle that is Athens is to think of it not as one continuous city but as an independent geographical Periphery of Greece. Administratively we call that area Attica. So once you start thinking of Attica as a peninsula in the extreme south East of mainland Greece you will be able to understand that Attica is prone from time to time to what we call ''prosinemos'' cold snaps. Basically cold snaps that affect much of East Greece due to synoptic conditions from the Balkans that find their way as south as Crete. As a Peninsula,  Attica has a huge variety of climates for its size due to significant differences in elevations, countless hills and 5 major mountains surrounding metropolitan Athens. 

Last year the snow blizzard in the Athens Riviera was all with positive T's. This was due to a rather not so rare combination (for ''Prosinemos'' cold snaps) of very low dew points, very dry atmospheric conditions at the start of the precipitation event and extreme precipitation rapidity  which made it possible to snow with T's as high as 3C or 4C. One such case was also 2019 when there were areas in South Athens getting snow with +6 or +7C. I kid you not! So the susceptibility to cold snaps in Attica is just one piece of the puzzle.

Temperature wise however, freezes are very uncommon in the Athens Riviera and snow coverage on the streets of South Athens is generally very short lived. The snow shown in the pictures during the 2019 event for example did not survive for more than 3 to 6 hours in the Athens Riviera coasts. It thawed with the first rays of the sun. But seeing that this is Athens and close to 5 million people live here, these kind of conditions always catch the attention of the media. If it was any other small city ,these events would  basically go unnoticed. 

Edited by Manos33

And here the latest forecast for the Athens Riviera according to yr.no website, courtesy of the Norwegian Met Office using the European forecast model. 

These are very rare conditions for South Athens indeed. I do not recall seeing such persistence in single digit T's for so many days in a row...

1180607219_Screenshot2022-01-23at2_16_18AM.thumb.png.b9161c3380303b63045ae00c54aeaf16.png

Edited by Manos33

On 1/20/2022 at 10:46 AM, ego said:

I'm waiting for you guys to reach a conclusion on the warmest road in Nea Smyrni so I can start looking for flats.

Try any road around the Central Square of Nea Smyrni. 

And there you go! Your flat would be situated in the warmest area of Continental Europe annually :P

On 1/21/2022 at 4:10 PM, Janni said:

ok. now I got your point. I was referring to the cold air masses, which are always accompanied by precipitation in greece.

Usually you have heavy winter rain in greece with very high amounts. With this amount of precitpitaion, you have a higher probability, that is comes down as snow, when you have cold air in the atmosphere. I think that is all, although that is only an educated guess based on the general conditions. 

When it comes to snowfalls on greek islands and coastal parts, it is often heavy snowfall with large and wet snowflakes. In these events the snow piles up a few centimeters very quickly, although the temperature is above 0°C. For tender plants, the dangerous part of this is, when snow melts and then freezes on the leafes on the following night, when temperatures actually are around 0°C.

Exactly! You are describing the ''prosinemos'' cold snaps in a very good way. Just to add that the usual combination is : 1) very low due points 2) cold and dry atmospheric conditions just before precipitation sets in and 3) extreme rapidities of precipitation. All the above factors make it possible to snow with T's well above freezing.

In some cases as you mention above we have seen ''prosinemos'' cold snaps with settled snow  and temperatures as high as +8C. I mean I don't know any other areas in Europe that can do this so easily...I mean snow with +7C or +8C

Edited by Manos33

On 1/21/2022 at 4:07 PM, Phoenikakias said:

How about the soil around it? Did you cover it with anything?

previously known as ego

52 minutes ago, ego said:

Did it snow in Nea Smyrni today? 

No, at least not yet. And this is the weather at the moment in my garden.

20220123_165259.thumb.jpg.7e592e2d1610d7bb063b87fb4419efe0.jpg

1 hour ago, ego said:

How about the soil around it? Did you cover it with anything?

Only the non woven fabric, which covers the plant was spread also on the ground above the immediate root zone. And on top a nylon cover to keep the fabric dry.

In this part of Portugal, in midwinter, from sunrise there is a quick rebound to pleasantly warm afternoons between 13C and 16C.    The Atlantic side of the Mediterranean much more rarely sees snowfall than the eastern side. . In my own locality snow has fallen, very briefly, no more than three times in the last 55 years.  Though this is my first year living in this part of Europe. it is wholly consistent with the described usual pattern.

There is no doubt that SW Europe doesn't have the same degree of threat from these landlocked arctic ingresses based on the geographical position of southern Spain and southern and western parts of Portugal where it takes a greater cut back of cold air to reach these parts from northern and eastern parts of Europe  - and when it does so,  it is at the end of the track so to speak and the cold air much more quickly mixes out.   That doesn't mean that occasional cold spells are not possible and some rogue freezing nights (this previous week for example has seen values around 2C very briefly at dawn) but this has come from radiational cooling under slightly colder than normal airmasses and light winds - very different to the sort of events that are happening over SE Europe at present  and with a much colder airmass, and moist atmosphere leading to snowfall. 

Edited by petiole10

8 hours ago, ego said:

Did it snow in Nea Smyrni today? 

No but it will tomorrow.

Now how much depends on the actual precipitation this system will bring to Attica.

I am curious to see if the all time record of -0.4C in the Nea Smyrni NOA station will fall...

On 1/21/2022 at 3:07 PM, Phoenikakias said:

You are a legend dude. They will survive 100% :shaka-2:

On 1/21/2022 at 3:10 PM, Janni said:

Thank you for the explanation mate! Thumbs up given. :greenthumb:

1 hour ago, Manos33 said:

Better view of Downtown Athens from Omonoia Square

https://www.meteocam.gr/AthensOmonoia

Wow right now it's a moderate snowfall already. The ground is only wet though, although the nearby rooftops and the palm trees (Phoenix Canariensis) on the left side are already slightly snow covered. Let's just expect that temps won't fall below 0ºC this night as frozen roots are a real danger after days with these cool high temperatures. 

2 hours ago, ego said:

I don't suppose a cocos could survive today anywhere in Greece.

I just hope that the few Roystoneas you've guys found in southern Greece will survive to the temps they're facing off these days! 
Right now 1-2ºC even in coastal areas, that's a subtropical killer if it lasts for too many hours. Actually a light freeze is better if the next day has a decent high rather han having entire days with cool highs, that produces the most damage (for most flora, some are exceptions) and @Phoenikakias you're a legend for that protection. They will survive 100% :shaka-2:

Indeed it is the duration of the cold that kills plants. Heavy snowfall here the whole day even though I am literally 5 minute walk from the sea. And it will last till tomorrow morning according to the forecast. I guess Athenian kentias will breathe their last today.

previously known as ego

20 minutes ago, Alicante said:

You are a legend dude. They will survive 100% :shaka-2:

Thank you for the explanation mate! Thumbs up given. :greenthumb:

Wow right now it's a moderate snowfall already. The ground is only wet though, although the nearby rooftops and the palm trees (Phoenix Canariensis) on the left side are already slightly snow covered. Let's just expect that temps won't fall below 0ºC this night as frozen roots are a real danger after days with these cool high temperatures. 

I just hope that the few Roystoneas you've guys found in southern Greece will survive to the temps they're facing off these days! 
Right now 1-2ºC even in coastal areas, that's a subtropical killer if it lasts for too many hours. Actually a light freeze is better if the next day has a decent high rather han having entire days with cool highs, that produces the most damage (for most flora, some are exceptions) and @Phoenikakias you're a legend for that protection. They will survive 100% :shaka-2:

To the right my Royal and to the left a Syagrus sp

20220121_173148.thumb.jpg.bb5b56761dafd98b58f113f0dd0d225d.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ego said:

Indeed it is the duration of the cold that kills plants. Heavy snowfall here the whole day even though I am literally 5 minute walk from the sea. And it will last till tomorrow morning according to the forecast. I guess Athenian kentias will breathe their last today.

I have left my Kentias unprotected due to lack of time. Time will tell. After all they are easily replacable plants in current size.

1 minute ago, Phoenikakias said:

I have left my Kentias unprotected due to lack of time. Time will tell. After all they are easily replacable plants in current size.

Please let us know how they have fared. It will be a good test. Is it snowing there?

previously known as ego

Just now, ego said:

Please let us know how they have fared. It will be a good test. Is it snowing there?

How should I know? I live downtown and my garden is part of the weekend home.

I see the picturesque, postcard Mediterranean island of Mykonos has been turned white today! That is certainly some impressive accumulations! It looks like the snowpack is going to freeze hard tonight as well possibly.

Meanwhile in Athens…

It’s still snowing now so I wonder how much they will end up accumulating? 

Edited by UK_Palms
  • Like 1

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

20 minutes ago, ego said:

14 minutes ago, Phoenikakias said:

How should I know? I live downtown and my garden is part of the weekend home.

Could you guys please make pics and post them here? I'm really curious about the snow depth inside the city of Athens, where the UHI is more persistent. 
Also if you can do a brief visit somewhere near the port/sea it would be amazing. Of course just if you can and if it's not a problem for you. Or is there any kind of Greek website/forum or whatever where people are posting pics? I'm really curious about snow and temps. At the moment no Spanish media/newspaper has told anything about the events in Greece. 

Edited by Alicante

1 hour ago, Alicante said:

Could you guys please make pics and post them here? I'm really curious about the snow depth inside the city of Athens, where the UHI is more persistent. 
Also if you can do a brief visit somewhere near the port/sea it would be amazing. Of course just if you can and if it's not a problem for you. Or is there any kind of Greek website/forum or whatever where people are posting pics? I'm really curious about snow and temps. At the moment no Spanish media/newspaper has told anything about the events in Greece. 

In Lycabettus hill, which rises in the middle of the metropolitan area. First two pictures are from the northern side, last one from the southern one, which actually has a view to Akropolis hill and beyond former to the sea front. A thick white veil covers the whole southern part of Athens. Actually we are experiencing a blizard with still positive temp values!

20220124_152102.thumb.jpg.e95790d2c1d7309e37ac3c98234b7882.jpg20220124_152108.thumb.jpg.e114f9f3ba44d006f734581ed549de09.jpg20220124_154752.thumb.jpg.f5140be79dbdf258067354ba57c0f08f.jpg

• Like 1

I don't live in Athens, I live 40 min away, on the east coast of Attica.

previously known as ego

The only area currently impossible for snow to settle in Attica is Piraeus as temperatures have been positive and higher than the rest of Athens while the precipitation does not have any dynamic. 

Piraeus rights now after 10 consecutive hours of snowfall...The snow can't even settle on the trees. HUGE difference with downtown Athens

Piraeus local time: 6:12pm

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/el/webcam/ellada/atiki/piraeus/port-of-piraeus.html

1686219203_Screenshot2022-01-24at6_12_04PM.thumb.png.9604788d2997f59ba18e7da49c38d1de.png

Edited by Manos33

:( this is so sad, at least for us palm-guys. If I were a kid, i probably would be happy to see so much snow in my homecountry. But right now, it makes me very sad for all of you guys here in the forum, trying to build special gardens in greece, with a lot of effort, heart and soul. And then there comes this storm, and all will be gone...

I just looked into the forecast maps of wetterzentrale.de and saw, that there will be (most likely) another similar wave coming next week. It is predicted in all weathermodels. :(:(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phoenikakias said:

In Lycabettus hill, which rises in the middle of the metropolitan area. First two pictures are from the northern side, last one from the southern one, which actually has a view to Akropolis hill and beyond former to the sea front. A thick white veil covers the whole southern part of Athens. Actually we are experiencing a blizard with still positive temp values!

20220124_152102.thumb.jpg.e95790d2c1d7309e37ac3c98234b7882.jpg20220124_152108.thumb.jpg.e114f9f3ba44d006f734581ed549de09.jpg20220124_154752.thumb.jpg.f5140be79dbdf258067354ba57c0f08f.jpg

It really felt quite a bit of snow! Which was the T at that hour and what's the T right now? It's above freezing?

The biggest problem now is when that snow will melt, it can be very dangerous if it freezes. Most people don't have winter tires. 

1 hour ago, ego said:

I don't live in Athens, I live 40 min away, on the east coast of Attica.

Post them! Coastal areas are also welcomed. ^_^

17 minutes ago, Janni said:

:( this is so sad, at least for us palm-guys. If I were a kid, i probably would be happy to see so much snow in my homecountry. But right now, it makes me very sad for all of you guys here in the forum, trying to build special gardens in greece, with a lot of effort, heart and soul. And then there comes this storm, and all will be gone...

I just looked into the forecast maps of wetterzentrale.de and saw, that there will be (most likely) another similar wave coming next week. It is predicted in all weathermodels. :(:(

Στη νοτια Ελλάδα, τρεις κατηγορίες ανθρώπων χαιρονται με το χιόνι: τα παιδιά, τα κοπρόσκυλα (που δεν τα νοιάζει γιατί δε δουλεύουν η δε θελουν να δουλέψουν και αποφεύγουν άλλες εξωεπαγγελματικές υποχρεώσεις) και οι πλούσιοι (που βάζουν άλλους να κάνουν τη δουλειά). Για τους υπόλοιπους κοινούς θνητούς το χιόνι ειναι μονο και μόνο μεγάλος μπελας. Το έφαγα έξι χρόνια στη μαπα στην κεντρικη Ευρώπη και ξέρω πολύ καλά!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Phoenikakias said:

Στη νοτια Ελλάδα, τρεις κατηγορίες ανθρώπων χαιρονται με το χιόνι: τα παιδιά, τα κοπρόσκυλα (που δεν τα νοιάζει γιατί δε δουλεύουν η δε θελουν να δουλέψουν και αποφεύγουν άλλες εξωεπαγγελματικές υποχρεώσεις) και οι πλούσιοι (που βάζουν άλλους να κάνουν τη δουλειά). Για τους υπόλοιπους κοινούς θνητούς το χιόνι ειναι μονο και μόνο μεγάλος μπελας. Το έφαγα έξι χρόνια στη μαπα στην κεντρικη Ευρώπη και ξέρω πολύ καλά!

Εγώ σε ποια κατηγορία ανήκω; Μου αρέσει πολύ το χιόνι. Πλούσιος δεν είμαι. 

previously known as ego

1 hour ago, Phoenikakias said:

Καλά, μη το λες! Δεν μπορείς να φανταστείς τι χιονοτρελαμένος κόσμος υπάρχει στην Ελλάδα. Μπες στα σχετικά καιρικά φόρα και θα σου πέσει το σαγόνι με το πως κάνουν πολλοί Ελληνες καιρόφιλοι με το χιόνι!

An update of what is happening now in Athens. Downtown Athens is probably experiencing a worst snow blizzard than last year! It's a first in Athens' modern meteorological history to have two consecutive years with a snow blizzard! 

On the other coastal areas like Piraeus can't even manage snow to settle on trees as temperatures are consistently positive. We are talking 12 hours of snowfall with positive temperatures in Piraeus and it is impossible for snow to settle. However, other coastal areas like Glyfada have already a few centimeters of settled snow on the streets due to much more intensity of precipitation, even though temperatures remain above freezing everywhere in coastal Athens. 

Edited by Manos33

Piraeus Port right now after 12 hours of snowfall with positive temperatures. 8.30 local time vs Downtown Athens in Omonoia Square. Huge differences !!!!

Piraeus Port 8.30pm local time

222739048_Screenshot2022-01-24at8_31_33PM.thumb.png.a46e729361d4fb261da82c42b0f4498d.png

Omonoia Square 8.30pm local time

Screenshot 2022-01-24 at 8.33.48 PM.png

Edited by Manos33

1 hour ago, ego said:

Εγώ σε ποια κατηγορία ανήκω; Μου αρέσει πολύ το χιόνι. Πλούσιος δεν είμαι. 

Ψαξ το λίγο!