IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Windmill palm seedling happy in December Tennessee

maskedmole

Grown by hand from seed bought from ebay. It's survived one winter and transplanted to spot now. Out of 30 seeds, only about 6 sprouted and ultimately only 2 survived. This one has 3 mini leaves with one of them being tiny and emerging. Leaves naturally seem to fall and cover the seedlings and I barely have to do anything more to protect them in winter.

windmillSeedlingSmaller.jpg

windmillSeedlingSmaller2.jpg

• Like 8

Lowest lows per year 2007-2019: 7F,  5F0F7F3.9F14F14F, -8.9F, 0.1F, 7.2F, 1.2F, -0.8F, 10.2F..... Averaged: 4.6F

I remember hearing early on in the cold hardy palm hobby that if

you plant a palm seed into the ground to start with that this produces

the hardiest plant, never tried it but it would be interesting too.

3 hours ago, Jimhardy said:

I remember hearing early on in the cold hardy palm hobby that if

you plant a palm seed into the ground to start with that this produces

the hardiest plant, never tried it but it would be interesting too.

Direct seeding can't change predetermined cold hardiness genetics. What it does allow, is root structure to develop in an unrestricted manner. This in turn produces a healthy plant assuming nutritional requirements are met.  Snow cover on small Trachycarpus fortunei seedlings, acts as an insulator from colder air above. Exposed seedlings will still need some temporary protection in colder marginal zones, and perhaps even in safe zones during extremes there. Palms direct seeded develop faster and will need less protection as a result. That may be what is being said in your interpretation above. 

Cheers.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

lol blah blah blah its always the same answer,:beat_deadhorse:

Go try it and then come back with useful info....remember the time on Palmsnorth (almost 15 years ago)

that you poo pooed on me cutting my palms back(trunk cutting) when the cold took out the growth point????

You said they were all dead and had no chance to recover and they ALL LIVED hahaha

What would be useful here is some one who has tried this (more than once) and can report back on how it worked out.

BTW.  Dont try to say you did it now after the fact because you had your chance:P

• Like 1

Next time you ask for input, please state "that answers will be accepted by anyone except Las Palmas Norte."  or ... just ignore all the answers you don't like, and use the ones that suit your liking. You know, just like on election day. :D Cheers.

If I ask you when I asked for input would you take that as asking for input?.

if so please don't answer

Edited by Jimhardy

• 4 weeks later...

It's not easy to find info regarding palm seedling hardiness! Natural plant ppl will plant alot and then go crazy the week or so before the freeze... lafs and it more difficult to read in planters or cups since freezing roots is a different thing than snow on the leaves

I will make a thread with results soon I left a few hundred Styro-Sabals out in the winter this year but I still bring in 10x20s for well below freezing because I don't want the roots to freeze as they might not in the soil... I'm not sure how deep a deep freeze can be

I have alot of Trachy seedlings from a neighbors yard collected pre-uri storm... they were large 10ft-15ft+ tall trees in an arrangement...I planted seeds from 3 of them (there were maybe 10 or 12 lining their walkways and driveway... .. 

Anyhow they moved just before Uri took us to 2f and so I think they were unprotected... only 3 or 4 grew back last year.. my favorite one shot up some new leaves and then they fizzled but the ones that were shorter and more stout took it well but it was months before they recovered..

And so narrowing genes can be a really good thing... I think the family of Trachys were hybrids to begin with they had varying floppyness to the leaves, three different sizes in their seeds and other variations 

I agree that the ground helps insulate heat and maybe snow as well but I'm not sure its predetermined cold hardiness at least not necessarily...since plants in general had to adapt to changing circumstances...

the first Trachy seeds were carried up mountains somehow, by birds animals aliens, etcetera and then populations started... just like agaves and others there must have been some number that just didn't make it but also they will change generationally to meet the demands of the environment.  

So i wonder when in the life of a trachy does cold exposure matter and cause changes or adjustments that will pass through the next generation? I forgot about nainatals i have in in 1 gallons btw ... i only have 2...one at just below 20f looks perfect... the other I believe to be a hybrid with extra ridges ended up with some minimal damage on the little strap leaf...

I think alot is predetermined but plants had to begin adjusting at some point just think how long before organizing forces in the ground could figure out how to make a fruit pop out of a fungus and then blow spores into the wind in hopes of them landing onto a bioavailable food source provided by the bacteria which originally made the food available...

the prototype for all seed production probably began with whatever intelligence it took to make an organ that sits on a rotting log with the ability to blow spores... the same miracle allow us to take a stick and put it into some wet soil so that that it can make some new roots and grow another plant.

"Hormones"

Must have a lot to do with how a plant might respond to a weather adjustment

Edited by DallasPalms