IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Copernicia berteroana flowering in Arizona

aztropic

Collected the seeds for this one on the IPS sponsored trip to the Dominican Republic in 2006.Grown entirely in Arizona,it is finally flowering at 15 years old.:greenthumb:

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20211210_124550216_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211210_123702883_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211210_123733531_HDR.jpg

• Like 19
  • Upvote 3

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Copernicia berteroana always reminds me of our common Mexican fan palms,but is actually less cold hardy. This one has completely defoliated a few times over the years due to our winter freezes,but always comes back. A fast grower,they can generate a completely new canopy in just one season.

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 3

Mesa, Arizona

1 hour ago, aztropic said:

A fast grower,they can generate a completely new canopy in just one season.

That does sound a lot like a Washingtonia robusta in speed.  Nicely grown specimen.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

3 hours ago, aztropic said:

Copernicia berteroana always reminds me of our common Mexican fan palms,but is actually less cold hardy. This one has completely defoliated a few times over the years due to our winter freezes,but always comes back. A fast grower,they can generate a completely new canopy in just one season.

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

Looks great Scott!  So it's seen mid 20's at your place when it defoliated?

• Like 2

Jon Sunder

Congratulations!!

My IPS seeds sprouted this spring, I have now a few one - and two strap - seedlings. Let's see

how long it will take under our Okinawian conditions.

regards

Lars

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Here's a few of the hundreds of seeds it produced! Probably could be as weedy as a Washingtonia... Still, extremely unusual palm that seems to thrive in the desert southwest. :lol2:

Once cleaned,fresh seeds sprout in less than a week! If you want to grow a palm from seed and you have no patience,this is a good one to try...

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

IMG_20220817_190256478.jpg

Edited by aztropic
  • Like 4

Mesa, Arizona

• 1 month later...

Some of the sprouts growing from these seeds. Very fast,while using up seed nutrients.

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

IMG_20221006_082442418.jpg

• Like 6

Mesa, Arizona

15 hours ago, aztropic said:

Some of the sprouts growing from these seeds. Very fast,while using up seed nutrients.

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

What are your experiences with repotting this species into larger pots or when planting out -

are their roots as sensible as those of eg. C. fallaensis ?

Lars

Don't think I lost any of these when repotting the first batch 15 years ago. It is definitely a more aggressive grower than the Cuban Copernicias.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

1 hour ago, aztropic said:

Don't think I lost any of these when repotting the first batch 15 years ago. It is definitely a more aggressive grower than the Cuban Copernicias.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Got it - thank you for your reply!

Lars

This has Definetly for me been the hardest to grow of all the copernicias I’ve tried.so  far I’ve got ekmanii that seems to be hardier than berts but @aztropics are awesome ! They definetly make  me keep trying at them .