IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms in Big Bend National Park

Arecaceae78743

I had know before that palms grew in El Paso and Del Rio but it did not occur to me that they would grow in the big bend. It would make sense because the location dips south and has the Davis mountains blocking north winds and there are lower points in elevation such as by the rio grande where it would stay warmer. The zone is considered 8b by the usda. 

Here are some pics before the big freeze (not mine)

B46569F3-09BD-4D29-811E-448CAA91B0DC.thumb.jpeg.122ebd395a15845f2fefc3868411dc34.jpeg

C4D14D10-B599-4121-8697-25103B1D8D4C.thumb.jpeg.9ea2bb392207b00bae9ad258ba3d8bd6.jpeg

and some after pics but they survive.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/102077751

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/101993528

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/101993501

Edited by Arecaceae78743
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

I saw these palms on the way to the hot springs during two of the greatest camping trips of my life back in the mid 90s! I hope they made it and thanks for sharing!

• Upvote 1

Have seen these palms on many trips to the hot springs.  They have grown much since I first saw them back in the late 70's.  Glad to see they came thru this past February alive.  There are/were many palm tree planted in Terlingua and Lajitas (two small towns to the west of the park).  Interestingly, Brahea bella is native just south of the Rio Grande.  But I do not believe it has ever been reliably reported in Texas.  Could be wrong though. Thanks for posting.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.