IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Good Grow Lights?

ZPalms

I wanted to know if anyone has any good grow lights before black friday is over, I own Haus Bright bulbs that do great and I recommend if anyone needs a good single LED bulb for a couple plants and it's on 9 hours a day, I use it over my coconut and it loves it but is their other good lights with better PPF with a larger space radius?

Edited by ZPalms

I use a PFW HB1500 (LINK HERE) over several "light hungry" plants during our winter here from November-February. 

I have it mounted to the ceiling above them, and everything does well during the winter with it. Best of all, when it comes time to go back outside, they burn a LOT less. Possibly because the fixture has some level of UV diodes included.  Its on a 12 hour timer plugged into the wall. 

I have tried single bulbs, and other fixtures throughout the past decade as lighting technology has advanced with quite varying degrees of success.

I don't bother playing around with single bulbs anymore, they just don't seem to do the job for me. 

Just my experience. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dartolution said:

I use a PFW HB1500 (LINK HERE) over several "light hungry" plants during our winter here from November-February. 

I have it mounted to the ceiling above them, and everything does well during the winter with it. Best of all, when it comes time to go back outside, they burn a LOT less. Possibly because the fixture has some level of UV diodes included.  Its on a 12 hour timer plugged into the wall. 

I have tried single bulbs, and other fixtures throughout the past decade as lighting technology has advanced with quite varying degrees of success.

I don't bother playing around with single bulbs anymore, they just don't seem to do the job for me. 

Just my experience. 

Does it get hot? I saw some of the reviews about it getting hot? I don't know if the heat of my room would decrease it's life span from the lack of coolant and how far do you have it hanging from the plants? do you have any pictures of it if you don't mind?

I do like single bulbs but they only work well if you have maybe 3 plants under it or if you have smaller plants all together and If your sprouting palms and they take up a good amount of space then it's radius isn't as good

7 hours ago, ZPalms said:

Does it get hot?

The ballast gets warm yes, but as long as you have a fan in the room circulating air is should be fine. I've used it for 2 years.

how far do you have it hanging from the plants?

It is hanging from the ceiling which is 8 foot. so, 7.5 feet or so. 

do you have any pictures of it if you don't mind?

It looks exactly the same as it does in the listing on Amazon.

Just now, Dartolution said:

The ballast gets warm yes, but as long as you have a fan in the room circulating air is should be fine. I've used it for 2 years.

It is hanging from the ceiling which is 8 foot. so, 7.5 feet or so. 

It looks exactly the same as it does in the listing on Amazon.

Oh dang, I can't really turn my fan on since I have the coconut in my room so it would get very warm since I keep moving air to a minimum in my room :wacko: I might need to get one that has built in fan :mrlooney: Appreciate it!

I don't understand. What does the fan have to do with the coconut?
I overwinter a golden malayan coconut in the room as well as very tropical plants. Never had a problem using an oscillating fan in there with it. 

4 minutes ago, Dartolution said:

I don't understand. What does the fan have to do with the coconut?
I overwinter a golden malayan coconut in the room as well as very tropical plants. Never had a problem using an oscillating fan in there with it. 

My windows need to be replaced so cold air seeps into the room but I do have bed sheets over the window to help block the cold out and since my blinds don't provide privacy and need new ones and turning the fan on makes the temperature drop quick in here along with the A/C being on since we don't use heat and I'm not the only one upstairs so it has to stay on or it can get warm so theirs no balance in temperature so it's either really cold or really warm, so not using the fan keeps the room at a neutral state and I'm afraid not enough coolant would decline the light health

This room temperature changes so fast

Edited by ZPalms

On 11/29/2021 at 9:10 AM, DreaminAboutPalms said:

A while back I was going to get one but it doesn't put out enough for what I need, I love the design of these but I wish they were more powerful :blush:

Edited by ZPalms

I have a mix.  Picked up 6 of these recently but in their full spectrum without the purple.  For a two pack though it is hard to beat this price.   https://www.amazon.com/WZDRAGON-Spectrum-Hydroponic-Greenhouse-Succulents/dp/B08RWTNZD5/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=Wzdragon+full+spectrum&qid=1638419366&sr=8-2

if you need longer lighting I have 4 of these (exact ones) that are also excellent and cheap.  
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08JLJ3D6Y?ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details&th=1

add a power strip and timer to either and you are set!  Plenty of other good ones but these were the value leaders I went with and like a lot.

• Like 3

Heads up, these are $13.99 for a TWO pack now.  Price is unreal.  These have more red and purple vs the ones I got so will have more of a “blurple” look but I am VERY happy with mine.  Anyone in need should jump on this.  Panels like this are normally 25-30 each and up (if you go name brand).  At this price it can die and you buy more, who cares.  The full spectrum ones I got were on sale for 19.99/two pack and I wish I had bought more.

https://www.amazon.com/WZDRAGON-Spectrum-Hydroponic-Greenhouse-Succulents/dp/B08RWTNZD5/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=Wzdragon+full+spectrum&qid=1638419366&sr=8-2

Just for reference this page shows the difference to the full spectrum ones I got

https://www.amazon.com/stores/WZDRAGON/page/377734D5-83CB-455F-A78E-9CDD642727AE?ref_=ast_bln

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Might pick up some of those SZHLUX Grow Lights (4ft 140W, 2×70W, 800W Equivalent) you linked. Would two per 2'x4' shelf be suitable you think? 

Edited by BobStrauss
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, BobStrauss said:

Might pick up some of those SZHLUX Grow Lights (4ft 140W, 2×70W, 800W Equivalent) you linked. Would two per 2'x4' shelf be suitable you think? 

I think that would work well.  Those SZHLUX are really nice and their hanging system allows for super easy raising/lowering.  For what it is worth, if you are talking wire shelves, I just picked up 3 of these and they are overall much brighter than anything I've had so far.  I hang them with zip ties from the shelf above and have 2/3 per shelf of various types (old blurple Roleadros, the WZDRAGONs and now these) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B097Y2T911/

• Like 1

Interesting. The ones you just linked are higher wattage but super cheap and the PPFD values seem a lot higher than pretty much any others at a similar price point. Seems to have a more even light distribution as well. 

Would those be suitable for germination on up to 12-18 month palms, assuming I can hang them as high as 20+ inches above planters when germinating? Or too bright for that application? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BobStrauss said:

Interesting. The ones you just linked are higher wattage but super cheap and the PPFD values seem a lot higher than pretty much any others at a similar price point. Seems to have a more even light distribution as well. 

Would those be suitable for germination on up to 12-18 month palms, assuming I can hang them as high as 20+ inches above planters when germinating? Or too bright for that application? 

Don’t think you can get too bright.  I can’t give you any absolutes but can share what I am doing.  Here are mine.

Szchlux 4’ lights hanging along side of garage (great for long areas of coverage even though not the brightest).  Note the Zamia Furfuracea seedlings I got closer to the light which is best.

24915AD4-4578-48ED-8E73-80245FB4AAEE.jpeg

These are 4’ wire shelves and I have 2x of the Wzdragon 100w panels on each shelf (3 in total here so 6 lights).  These were like $10 apiece so I can’t complain.

6A2C9FD2-B5A6-4B1A-B676-F0E1D55AB033.jpeg

this is a 30 or 36” ? wide wire shelf and I have 2x Roleadro 75w blurple lights per shelf plus the new 100w full spectrum panel I just added in the middle.  Note the brightness vs the Wzdragon.  Have a few szchlux over here hanging off this one to hit the germination pots below and some bigger palms off to the left.

0F877712-5182-4F3F-A35C-B3A968E7BCB1.jpeg

I am obviously doing this on the cheap.  If I wanted to spend I would get Spider Farmer, Mars Hydro, or Viparspectra stuff.  Just sharing what I am finding on my hunt to get my palms some sun over winter in my garage.  So far these latest ones are the best value lights I have found for square panels.  I have them all hooked to a power strip and mechanical timer.

Edited by zimm
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a California Lightworks SolarXtreme 250 there is a large version too @ the 550 model and another step up or two. For a small light it's very powerful... it does make heat but not overwhelming heat. I think its mixed spectrums maybe worth looking into. If you buy from them the warranty is good I recall... 

*** I have only used for overwintering a few plants and I started tomatoes last year with it.. it was recommended somewhere I read among some much more expensive lights*** it's in the higher quality range.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up a brand new light today. All the latest and greatest. YouTube video of it will be up this Palm Sunday on the channel 

• Upvote 1