IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New palm plantings - South Carolina

RJ

Actually planted these this spring. I planted a filabusta but a rabbit or something ate it to the ground. :wacko:

I also planted butia but it drowned in all the rain we got this spring. I’ll try again this upcoming spring. 

Below is a mule , planted as a two gallon maybe, it took right off without skipping a beat. 

7BC05826-37D6-4540-9F43-25BEFE7946B0.jpeg

CECE6514-0311-479C-86FB-054294F6F31E.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Sabal causiarum as a large liner, growing very quickly for a sabal 

2D7741C3-AE03-4EE7-B95A-86E43B59E067.jpeg

Edited by RJ
  • Like 8

Also planted a filifera but that was eaten as well. I’ll try again in the spring. 

my folks are right next to the lake and are considerably warmer than most of the surrounding area . They still haven’t had a frost or any temps below the upper 30’s. 

Edited by RJ

Nice start, I'm guessing this at your new casa correct ? Planting your bulletproof palms makes the most sense. I'm sure he had been itching to get some in the ground like myself. Looking forward to all the other palms you have ready to get in the ground. Causiarum was my first planting more to come this next spring =) 

T J 

20211023_134420.jpg

• Like 5

T J 

13 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

ground

Nah, this is my folks place. They just moved down here last year from the northern tundra. Had enough of snow and my kids(3) are their youngest of 13. 

should be breaking ground on my place in the next  couple weeks or so. 

good choice on your first palm gonna be a monster . B) How is your soil there?

how do you like ranch life? That’s what we’re building. I really like them but all the ones around here are like 40 years old. You just never see them built anymore. 

Edited by RJ

3 hours ago, RJ said:

should be breaking ground on my place in the next  couple weeks or so. 

good choice on your first palm gonna be a monster . B) How is your soil there?

Dang you haven't caught a break on your house build huh. Glad to hear your about to start tho , so many palms itching to be set free haha 

So I was pleasantly surprised to find my new soil isn't straight gumbo clay like my last place. Seems to be a lil bit more workable and much easier to dig =) 

T J 

T J 

1 minute ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Dang you haven't caught a break on your house build huh. Glad to hear your about to start tho , so many palms itching to be set free haha 

So I was pleasantly surprised to find my new soil isn't straight gumbo clay like my last place. Seems to be a lil bit more workable and much easier to dig =) 

T J 

A lot of the issues with the delays are the lead times currently for products. For instance my windows and doors are 13 weeks out :crying:. We are hoping to be in July next year.  Looking to put a pool in as well, but dam they’re expensive right now. Like everything else I suppose. 

RJ

1 hour ago, RJ said:

A lot of the issues with the delays are the lead times currently for products. For instance my windows and doors are 13 weeks out :crying:. We are hoping to be in July next year.  Looking to put a pool in as well, but dam they’re expensive right now. Like everything else I suppose. 

RJ

The delays are absolute BS and a whole other subject at hand haha We are actually about to break ground on our pool here in a week or so. We got lucky found a start up pool company that only charges 12% over contractor cost so we're building a 22k gallon pool for 53k instead of 80k like all the other pool companies we got quotes from smh 

T J 

• Like 1

T J 

11 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

The delays are absolute BS and a whole other subject at hand haha We are actually about to break ground on our pool here in a week or so. We got lucky found a start up pool company that only charges 12% over contractor cost so we're building a 22k gallon pool for 53k instead of 80k like all the other pool companies we got quotes from smh 

T J 

Nice ask them if they travel to SC :P

did you go fiberglass?

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, RJ said:

Nice ask them if they travel to SC :P

did you go fiberglass?

Haha yeah the company still all have regular jobs and literally are doing this as a sufe hustle !!! We are doing gunite pebble tech , so rebar and the whole nine , concrete pond haha 

T J 

• Like 1

T J 

• 3 months later...

Swung by my folks this afternoon. Palms look good, all were unprotected all winter. 

Mule

BE1418CA-D624-455A-901A-BFB853213B7C.jpeg

CD4A5B7C-6F3C-42A3-901F-1019D3FA380A.jpeg

S. causiarum (Actually grew over winter) you can barely see the mark on the spear, about 3” of growth) 

F04257E8-363D-4B28-9DE0-79AD52C6E128.jpeg

89B7918B-24BF-4F95-8F02-BB8B470C47E7.jpeg

Edited by RJ
  • Like 5

On 11/27/2021 at 2:23 PM, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Haha yeah the company still all have regular jobs and literally are doing this as a sufe hustle !!! We are doing gunite pebble tech , so rebar and the whole nine , concrete pond haha 

T J 

Speaking of concrete ponds :floor:

1025E0F0-0A22-4609-958C-D25D4286701B.jpeg

F2CE6845-1923-4483-A3CD-DB74C2D2EBF6.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 3/3/2022 at 6:54 PM, RJ said:

S. causiarum (Actually grew over winter) you can barely see the mark on the spear, about 3” of growth) 

Updated pick for beginning of May, already on its second leaf of the year.  If I can keep it watered over the summer it will put on some good size. 

5B713BCD-59FA-4FC7-A1ED-75DD1E06077F.jpeg

Edited by RJ

• 3 months later...

Swung by my folks this afternoon. Palms look good, all were unprotected all winter. 

Mule

D47946D1-5EAA-428A-B6F3-E30305E79A23.jpeg

C2909265-A8DF-46D5-A06A-13F16A98FD15.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, RJ said:

That Mule is going to be nice! I planted a queen about the same time, and Its put out one leaf!

Lucas

21 minutes ago, Little Tex said:

That Mule is going to be nice! I planted a queen about the same time, and Its put out one leaf!

Really? This mule is probably on its 5th or 6th I’m not there enough to keep track of it . This is on the south east corner of the house. I think I planted it a little too close to the house looking back. It’s about 5’ I’d say. 

@RJ Hows the house coming along ? Your poor palms have to be pissed from being pot bound by now.

T J 

• Like 1

T J 

4 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

@RJ Hows the house coming along ? Your poor palms have to be pissed from being pot bound by now.

T J 

Getting there SLOWLY. Hoping to be in the end of October.... supply chain issues continue to plague everything and the costs have been though the roof. Pretty much ready to put organs up for sale at this point. 🤬

11 hours ago, RJ said:

Wowsa, what a beauty- thanks for posting. Before you know it, you'll be looking up at the fronds. Being near the lake takes such a huge bite of the handful of hard freezes we get every winter. Plant Mules all around Lake Murray...

BTW RJ, I heard at highway 6 and (Old) Bush River road right at the gateway to the dam coming from Ballentine, they're going to put a huge Lake Murray sign and they're really going to landscape it nice. I emailed the lady months ago whos been putting it together and when I specifically asked her if there would be any palms planted, she coyly replied that I "wouldn't be disappointed." Have they started anything there yet? It's the spot where they planted a line of live oaks about 5 years or so ago. 

16 minutes ago, smithgn said:

Wowsa, what a beauty- thanks for posting. Before you know it, you'll be looking up at the fronds. Being near the lake takes such a huge bite of the handful of hard freezes we get every winter. Plant Mules all around Lake Murray...

BTW RJ, I heard at highway 6 and (Old) Bush River road right at the gateway to the dam coming from Ballentine, they're going to put a huge Lake Murray sign and they're really going to landscape it nice. I emailed the lady months ago whos been putting it together and when I specifically asked her if there would be any palms planted, she coyly replied that I "wouldn't be disappointed." Have they started anything there yet? It's the spot where they planted a line of live oaks about 5 years or so ago. 

Nick, sorry I haven't got to your PM. I literally checked my e-mail for the first time in weeks today. Basically I'm up at 3:00 AM and go to bed at 9:30 PM with pretty much zero time in between except for meals. With the kids in school now and sports with the house build I'm there every day working on it after I get out of work.  Get the kids then off to sports for one of them. Fell off the latter at the house on Saturday, pretty sure I broke my foot. 😡

No Idea if they have started it yet, I'll have to go check. TBH I try to avoid that part of town with traffic getting pretty bad around here now.  I avoid Lexington like the plague lol

Dang thats a packed schedule! Truly no worries man- no need to apologize 🙂 I wish you much strength and a speedy recovery. I sometimes wonder if even using ladders is worth the risk anymore, after hearing about the numerous freak injuries that come from using them. I wonder when my time will come... 🙄

Oh I hear you about Lexington. I use to drive through there every day for work and it raised my blood pressure even before getting to my job. Take care of the food and keep us apprised when you can 👍

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/26/2021 at 4:24 PM, RJ said:

Actually planted these this spring. I planted a filabusta but a rabbit or something ate it to the ground. :wacko:

I also planted butia but it drowned in all the rain we got this spring. I’ll try again this upcoming spring. 

Below is a mule , planted as a two gallon maybe, it took right off without skipping a beat. 

7BC05826-37D6-4540-9F43-25BEFE7946B0.jpeg

CECE6514-0311-479C-86FB-054294F6F31E.jpeg

Mule continues to put of some good size. Probably 8’ tall or so. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

Mule

Trachy move along 

image.jpg

• Like 1

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Quick mid summer update. 

Sabal causiarum zero protection for the December freeze. Maybe a slight bit of burn ~10% It’s put on about 6” of spear growth in about 10 days. Picking up steam for sure. 

mule palm, wrapped in frost cloth for the December freeze, had about ~60-70% burn, no spear pull. 

B7CAD278-34FC-4195-814E-F01F06B672E8.jpeg

E76B629C-4907-44B3-8DA7-8742A5FD8557.jpeg

74B1B6C1-83D4-478D-A37C-7D1807C1CA9E.jpeg

F344D85E-A58A-42DB-A709-98548AAE85DC.jpeg

• Like 7

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2023 at 7:24 PM, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

@RJ Any summer growth updates ? 

T J 

Whoa… I’m back from my PT hiatus. Been busy with new house work. 

palms are doing well at my folks place, the mule palm is pushing probably 9-10’ tall. Might actually really start going vertical next year.The sabal causiarum is probably 3’ now, however,  the drip irrigation had mid summer woes so it didn’t get nearly the water it should have. We had our first decent frost this past Monday , stayed above freezing however.  I’m in that nice light blue warm spot in the middle of the map 😎

IMG_3430.jpeg

IMG_3431.jpeg

IMG_3432.jpeg

IMG_3433.jpeg

IMG_3434.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, RFun said:

Nice blueish tint to that one.

Yes I have another I planted at my house this past summer that has even more of a bluish tint to it, it was by far the bluest of the dozen that I have. It will be interesting to see how it progresses over the years. 

On 12/14/2023 at 1:38 PM, RJ said:

Welcome back to PT haha I can only imagine your todolist. 

T J 

T J 

On 12/14/2023 at 2:38 PM, RJ said:

palms are doing well at my folks place, the mule palm is pushing probably 9-10’ tall. Might actually really start going vertical next year.The sabal causiarum is probably 3’ now, however,  the drip irrigation had mid summer woes so it didn’t get nearly the water it should have. We had our first decent frost this past Monday , stayed above freezing however.  I’m in that nice light blue warm spot in the middle of the map 😎

IMG_3430.jpeg

IMG_3431.jpeg

IMG_3432.jpeg

IMG_3433.jpeg

IMG_3434.jpeg

That mule is going to be a monster

• Like 1

On 12/16/2023 at 9:58 PM, DAVEinMB said:

That mule is going to be a monster

Can't really go wrong with putting it up by the bricks either.  Like a furnace in the warmer months.

Edited by RFun
  • Upvote 1