IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What kind of insect on Areca Palm?

Asking for a Frond

I was in the garden and saw a dead brown frond on one of our areca palms. I gave it a small tug and it immediately let go, then I noticed its covered in insects and white spots at the base. I'm having a hard time identifying what kind of insect and the proper treatment. We're located in Florida. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

P8lEYTQ.jpeg

0CRbfCi.jpeg

Edited by Asking for a Frond
added location

21 minutes ago, Asking for a Frond said:

I was in the garden and saw a dead brown frond on one of our areca palms. I gave it a small tug and it immediately let go, then I noticed its covered in insects and white spots at the base. I'm having a hard time identifying what kind of insect and the proper treatment. We're located in Florida. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

P8lEYTQ.jpeg

0CRbfCi.jpeg

Ants ..but can't remember what species.. ( Florida has a gazillion sp. ) " White stuff " is likely Mealy Bugs ..or the remnants of them. Ants will " Farm " these ..and things like Aphids for a sugary " Honey Dew " they produce..  Pretty typical and typically harmless to find both hanging out in the crevices of old / dead fronds.. Only need controlling when attacking live fronds / leaflets. Would use something organic to target the Mealys. Once they're gone, Ants will usually move on, though many ants do aide in the decomposition process of organic material, such as this.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Mealybugs feed on living, not dead tissue. The ants will also pick them up and move them to fresh pastures when the area they are on ceases to productive in sap (it's amazing how this behaviour evolved, but there you go). You clearly have an ant colony nearby, so I'd check the living fronds.

I used to have this issue at my last house. 

The only thing that worked permanently was applying Bayer Tree & Shrub which is a systemic insecticide. 

I don’t use it on anything that flowers or is likely to flower within the next year. 

While I try to stay away from poisons like that, it did the job. 

• Like 1