IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Can you fertilize seedlings?

BeyondTheGarden

I've got tons of palm seedlings, ranging from seed-starter trays up to 4" pots,  some even up to 1g.  Some are single-strap-leaf, all the way up to 18-20" tall in some cases.  

The majority are in my home-made growbox (currently staying around 89f and 80% humidity) and it's working well, they're definitely growing faster than the seedlings growing in the window sill at ambient temp/humidity.  Just counted over 120 palm seedling plus a few other odds and ends in the growbox. 

I would like to try to introduce some fertilizer to the ones in the growbox.  But I don't know if there's anything that won't burn since they're so small.  Fertilizer tea maybe?  Any insight or experience?  

Thanks.  

20211116_212022.jpg

• Like 1

I usually start after the second Frond. I use a fish emulsion fertilizer with great results ,FOLLOW the instructions exactly, these little guys have tiny sensitive roots. I have some Christmas Palm seedlings and they are only 5 months old and already working on a third frond..hope this helps

• Like 1

I've used common liquid fertilizer for seedlings at half strength, i.e. Miracle-Gro, Peters, etc. I have also used up remaining liquid orchid fertilizer, which is light strength to begin with, on seedlings. They seem to show a minor effect or none at all.

Depending on the species, I've used a 'shaker' of granular time-release fertilizer on larger seedlings that need it. Just a few shakes into a compot or onto smaller potted individuals. Usually I only fertilize seedlings to maintain them until they are ready to be potted up, divided, etc. I do it most often to get certain sensitive species through the winter. I try not to over do it, as it can cause problems. The phrase 'less is more' comes to mind.

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

With all my seedlings I usually just use osmocote plus, and occasionally water with an organic solution that is half diluted. Doesn't seem to bother any of the species I have germinated. 

Thanks for the replies guys.  I decided to use some of what I had on hand - miracle grow shake n' feed.  But at like 1/8 of the dose which is kinda vague for something that small anyway.  I have some 1/8 and 1/16 teaspoons for baking, I figure 1/16th of a teaspoon shouldn't hurt even the little guys.  But we'll see. 

On 11/17/2021 at 10:52 PM, Palmlover_78 said:

I usually start after the second Frond. I use a fish emulsion fertilizer with great results ,FOLLOW the instructions exactly, these little guys have tiny sensitive roots. I have some Christmas Palm seedlings and they are only 5 months old and already working on a third frond..hope this helps

Does fish emulsion stink?  Can you use it indoors?  

I used to use rabbit manure tea in the vegetable garden regularly and it seemed to work well.  Now I don't have rabbits.  Or a veg garden.  

Edited by Jesse PNW

Hello, Yes Fish emulsion does stink, but it's not that bad to me. I water my palms in the kitchen that way the exhaust vent sucks it out. I personally use slow release when the plants are about 5 months old or sprouting there third Frond. Try liquid Kelp, I think that stuff you can spray directly on the fronds and it has an earthy smell to it.

I badly burnt a Lyco seedling this summer by accidentally watering it with a can that contained half-strength kelp extract I was using on other plants. A mistake I won't make again. Using slow-release pellets like osmocote is much safer as you can't overdose it (I put osmocote in practically everything), not to mention less trouble (it lasts ~6 months).

If the seedlings are in a medium with lots of organics (which it looks like), the smaller ones in particular really won't be short of nutrients anyway, in my opinion.