• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Brown spots from greenhouse?

ZPalms

Bought these trachys awhile back from etsy which were grown in a greenhouse, I just want to be sure that these brown spots are only from being grown in a greenhouse then moved to full sun or another problem because I seem to not be able to shake these away.

Theirs less on the newest leaves but they are still present so does that mean the palm is acclimating to full sun or something else?

IMG-8260.thumb.jpg.714686103dba414299180ac3465aaa07.jpg

IMG-8261.thumb.jpg.cd45e4f1777b9028014ef419558e16ae.jpg

Edited by ZPalms

My takils came in similar condition and I fixed it with copper fungicide and Jack's Palm Food. The spots could be a fungus and the yellow could be a nutrient deficiency. That is of course if you are certain there are no pests. Problems with the roots would also present similarly. Hard to make a certain recommendation without inspecting the palm in person. 

• Like 1

I haven't noticed any bugs on them or anything but I'm thinking the soil might be too compact as well which I don't know if that could cause problems but I have the worst luck with palms and soil, I'll try and get some of those and give them a try thanks! 

Not to make this more complicated but Dry soil, To much Direct Sunlight can cause leaves to yellow and get brown spots, just wanted to put that out there. :)

I've found that Trachies that small like a little shade also, like half a day. They grow so much better and will have nice dark green leaves.  A little compost in the soil is also good even in pots.  :D

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Paradise Found said:

Not to make this more complicated but Dry soil, To much Direct Sunlight can cause leaves to yellow and get brown spots, just wanted to put that out there. :)

I've found that Trachies that small like a little shade also, like half a day. They grow so much better and will have nice dark green leaves.  A little compost in the soil is also good even in pots.  :D

Maybe I'll try moving them to an area that gets half sunlight and shade but I'll still get copper fungicide to take care of all of my palms cause I think they need it!

Thanks for the tip! :happy:

• Like 1