IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Canary island date plan dry leaves problem. How to. Save the plam?? Please help

Jeffplam

Almost always a brown leaf like that means lack of water. It got a heavy pruning recently so it can’t draw water from old fronds because they got cut off. The grass growing directly up to the base is like having a big carpet over the roots. So when it rains that grass is holding water back. My guess is it’s thirsty as heck. Needs the grass pulled away and a bed made around it with mulch, rock, sand, anything that will let water flow easier to the roots.

quick solution, let the garden hose run around it for 20 mins every 2-3 days

I can't tell from the photos, but it looks like the older leaves may be fine and the "spear" leaf is dead?  If so that means a bud rot or other bud damage or disease.  If it's just a few leaf tips then usually that's not a big deal.  It's been dry recently here in Central Floriduh, and a lot of my palms have some brown tips.  Just take a quick look at the center "spear" growing to make sure that it's not brown and crispy. 

• Upvote 1

It's fairly common to have some damage or leaf fungal infection when a palm is planted.  Most of the time they tie up the fronds with rope, which squishes the center leaves and breaks a bunch of them.  If they leave them tied up too long (more than 2-3 weeks) then you can get some fungal spot infections in the inner fronds, since air can't circulate there.  If it is just a few dead leaflets and a few dots of fungus, then there is probably nothing to worry about.

If the spear leaf is green it is probably fine.  I'd mark a horizontal line across the spear leaf and adjacent fronds with a sharpie.  That way you can check to see if it's growing.  As long as the palm is steadily (if slowly) growing a new spear leaf, then the damage in the photos is mostly cosmetic.  I'd keep an eye out for it to start spreading, in which case a systemic fungicide would be a good idea.  Otherwise just give it water and fertilizer and it'll grow out of it.

• Upvote 1

It looks a bit like Fusarium wilt or something alike. If it was trimmed a few weeks or months ago, it may have been infected by some kind of wilt or disease from contaminated pruning tools. You'll know as it will progress quite rapidly. Where are you located exactly?

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

Fusarium rot is very common in Southern California in CIDP and usually is noticeable on the lower leaves as they die off prematurely. I borrowed an image from Google to show what how the leaves die when it happens. Most often it happens from over trimming and not cleaning the tools. I see it so often around here that tree trimmers over trim and then boom the palm goes into decline.  I see it at the park near my house. They have CIDP that are dieing off because of this and reporting to the city does nothing. Hopefully that's not the problem but if it is then it's done. 

Here's the picture of a leaf. Notice they typically die on one side first. Again not my picture but definitely shows.

FusWilt_Pcanriensis_RachisStripe.jpeg

It’s definitely not fusarium wilt and your palm is likely getting more than enough water being on a lawn. These palms routinely go 6-8 months with no rain or irrigation here in parts of California and survive. I think Merlyn is correct in his assumption. Your Phoenix palm will improve with time. 

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

• 4 weeks later...