IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Fall/WInter weather in the PNW talk.

Chester B

12 hours ago, Trustandi said:

the lowest temp keeps changing. :huh:

I see what you mean... lowest temp now is 36f this weekend. 

• Like 1

I had 31F one night a couple weeks or so back.  Since then quite warm, with some nights near 60F.  Thursday is looking like my coldest night at 37F after that into the 40s for overnight lows.

We had 3 days at 60 or above this week, hard to believe its December.  I would love for this trend to continue, maybe I can leave my Ensete banana outside all year.

• Like 2

Yep same here Chester....i had 1 night at 29....but since ...mild and not much rain...its been nice ...lets hope it doesn't go to much down hill..!..la mild...would be nice .

• Like 2

I doubled check and I think my place got down to 33F. And I hope the trend keeps going nothing to bad in the next 14 days. 

One warm winter I remember we had November 33, December 31, January 31, and then February 15F  it was short lived but very cold.  Chester those 60F - 62F mornings were awesome and so many of them in one month.  We'll have more I think this winter. 

Ensete red banana and basjoo still look good. 

• Like 2

On 12/5/2021 at 6:48 PM, Hutch said:

Looks like la....is kicking in.... rain and cool temps moving in...!...damn....oh well .

Yeah I'm showing some rain every day up until Christmas.  It won't be so bad if the cloud cover and moisture keep any real cold temps from appearing.  I figure we have 10 weeks to go and then we'll be in the clear for any Arctic blasts.  

Reached 50 here today...off and and rain...windy too!..looks like a couple more weeks of this...then hoping the Aleutian low kicks in...

On 12/11/2021 at 2:02 PM, Hutch said:

Reached 50 here today...off and and rain...windy too!..looks like a couple more weeks of this...then hoping the Aleutian low kicks in...

Yeah the rain is getting old, but at least it keeps the frost away.  I'm protected from the wind when the storms roll in off the coast so no wind for me.  Right now they are predicting some wet snow on Christmas if you can believe it - It'll be a Christmas miracle!

In the long range forecast there is a good chance of heavy wet snow after christmas.  35f/30f maybe 2-3".

Edited by Paradise Found

Crap I don't like heavy wet snow... Down here the forecast looks a bit shacky...but nothing to bad ...who knows.. at this point the 850 gfs loop goes on way / then another...right after Christmas...keep your eyes on it...

I had heavy wet snow overnight that started around 10pm. The flakes were the size of quarters- seriously! By morning there was maybe 1/2” or so but the palms were bent down quite a bit so I think we got a fair amount overnight but a good portion had melted  Ultimate low of 33F and has transitioned to steady rain. The temperatures are trending much lower than they predicted, supposedly going up into 40s this afternoon. 

Day after Christmas and then those after aren’t looking the best. Chance of snow, overnight below freezing and daytime highs in the mid 30s. Gotta hate winter, it’s always playing with us. 

Feb 14 is the magic date. I feel like if we can make it there without issue we’re in the clear. 

It's starting to look really bad.  So cold but for so long, I'm starting to worry.

image.png.b41c85443427619cc3a066ba07ade773.png

My low temps are going up to 18F and a few low 20's. I'm still going to protect like it 1983 the coldest winter for me.... Seattle went to 0F that winter, and Olympia airport was -7F. This one is not as near as bad but I have  a lot more tender stuff to take care of. Which is no big deal.

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

My low temps are going up to 18F and a few low 20's. I still going to protect like it 1983 the coldest winter for me.... Seattle went to 0F that winter, and Olympia airport was -7F. This one is not as near as bad but I have  a lot more tender stuff to take care of. Which is no big deal.

You see I'm not sure what to protect.  There are the obvious ones, but the big palms I guess are on their own.  I don't have the luxury of having a mature canopy, it's all pretty wide open at my place.  I have two nice southern magnolias in my backyard but I think they're dwarf forms so they are taking forever to grow, the rest of the canopy is pretty much Trachycarpus.

At this point in time it looks like a week of cold temps, but it seems to be backing off hopefully this trend continues.image.png.a69dc2041c5e9e27603c7da8f33f5ff3.png

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 1

Bigger palms all you can do is put lights on them and a big blanket or two over the tops.  Or you can stuff cloth inside the growing point and up and down the trunk.  Put big blanket over the top.  It's a good idea to put one blanket on the round to keep it from freezing to deep.

I'm really thankful we don't have any wicked winds, they will be light and just enough to stir up some warm and cold air together.  Once we get to friday we'll have a much better Idea whats going to happen.  May the force be with us! LOL! 

Edited by Paradise Found

33 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

Bigger palms all you can do is put lights on them and a big blanket or two over the tops.  Or you can stuff cloth inside the growing point and up and down the trunk.  Put big blanket over the top.  It's a good idea to put one blanket on the round to keep it from freezing to deep.

I'm really thankful we don't have any wicked winds, they will be light and just enough to stir up some warm and cold air together.  Once we get to friday we'll have a much better Idea whats going to happen.  May the force be with us! LOL! 

Yeah I think the big ones are on their own.  I can't protect 100 palms, and it's awfully difficult to get to them up high.

Why do blankets work?  If it's 15F for hours, it's not like the palms generate heat.  It will be the same temp under the blankets.

Edited by Chester B

16 minutes ago, Chester B said:

Yeah I think the big ones are on their own.  I can't protect 100 palms, and it's awfully difficult to get to them up high.

Why do blankets work?  If it's 15F for hours, it's not like the palms generate heat.  It will be the same temp under the blankets.

The blanket are good idea for two reason.  They protect your palms from cold Radiation freezes.  RF is clear skies and cold air. The blanket on top help trap the warmer air that is raising.  Thats why it also good idea to put a blanket or carboard or ( 6" of mulch) on the ground before it get cold.  It also acts as a canopy protection.  You might have less spotting with a blanket.   (11:30 am 50F.)

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 1

Here we go...not looking good...my property is looking at 2 or 3 nights around 20...maybe lower with snow....im gonna rage my outside stove...and wrap a few heated cabels..maybe a propane heater ...who knows let's see what happens!!

• Like 1

20F isn’t great but your big palms should be able to handle it. That said better safe than sorry. 

I wouldn’t even blink at 20f (-5.5C). The -10C I’m getting is concerning for many of my plants…. Ugh. 

• Like 1

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

Interesting....dang I'm just not a fan of this...relentless snow and cold.#!#$..were the coldest running on planet earth...lol....hot and cold year...i guess we pay for the heat...fingers crossed for a early spring!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hutch said:

Interesting....dang I'm just not a fan of this...relentless snow and cold.#!#$..were the coldest running on planet earth...lol....hot and cold year...i guess we pay for the heat...fingers crossed for a early spring!

It’s ridiculous for sure.  For me the S Word is just another swear word. I live way too far north for my liking. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Trustandi said:

Two more days below freezing left and we are still in the beginning of winter. :(

It kind of freaks me out. I’d hate to see a second cold blast, I normally get 0-1 per year. For me generally second half of Feb is considered safe. So only about 6 weeks to go. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chester B said:

It kind of freaks me out. I’d hate to see a second cold blast, I normally get 0-1 per year. For me generally second half of Feb is considered safe. So only about 6 weeks to go. 

I'm hoping....My family is moving this summer.... so I lose my palm property...but we're moving to Grants Pass where my parents grew up ..so..im excited about moving further south but a friend of my dad said they got 3 inches of snow.....who knows these days ! 37 here .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hutch said:

I'm hoping....My family is moving this summer.... so I lose my palm property...but we're moving to Grants Pass where my parents grew up ..so..im excited about moving further south but a friend of my dad said they got 3 inches of snow.....who knows these days ! 37 here .

Sounds great. I have dreams of moving south to the heat down there. They are colder in winter though but at least it’s usually a dry cold and daytime highs rebound quickly. 

Agree...colder in winter summers are Hot ..and last about 4 months...Ive drove around a lot in Grants Pass..alot of Trachys...and Med...palms...i didn't see anything to crazy...but once I get going I might try a few things more desert type ...maybe a Cali fan palm...

3 hours ago, Hutch said:

Agree...colder in winter summers are Hot ..and last about 4 months...Ive drove around a lot in Grants Pass..alot of Trachys...and Med...palms...i didn't see anything to crazy...but once I get going I might try a few things more desert type ...maybe a Cali fan palm...

Washies and Cidps will make it there I’m sure. One of the members here has them growing in Roseburg at his parents place so you’ll have more options for sure. 

i personally like the landscape down there. More Oak and Madrone, less conifers. Nice and dry too. 

I can't believe the pass the the east of me...went from zero snow Dec 5th to this ....we need it....  my friend in Fresno..is constantly running sump pumps...as the soil can't deal with the rain..they are really excited for the rain down there..

willamette-pass-hwy-58-odot.jpg

What a difference a week makes.  Yesterday was over 50F and the next ten days I'm forecasted to be 2 degrees on either side of 50F.  Hope the rest of the winter plays out like this.