IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Fall/WInter weather in the PNW talk.

Chester B

New season new thread.  

So only 3 weeks ago we were in the 80's and now barely reaching 60 the last few days or more.  The return of semi-regular rain has been great, but aside from one event where I recorded an inch over 2.5 days I haven't been getting very much.  Rain/drizzle seems to be coming through about once a week but I'm picking up 0.05" give or take.  It appears that the rain is just that little bit further north, I know Portland proper has had much more rain than what I seem to be getting.  I often see the dark clouds but they seem to skirt around me.  I dug a hole for a new olive tree and after the top 1/4" the ground was dry.  Most days are still sunny and bright, with the odd cloudy one.

Since our water year just ended, I thought I'd post this.  2016-2017 was my first winter here in the PNW, and I remember it rained and rained and rained from September to almost July.  I thought I was going to go crazy due to being stuck inside and the cool wet weather that never seemed to stop.   I was questioning my decision to move here, it was downright depressing.  Since then things have been great, glad I hung in there.

How are things in your areas?  Much rain?

image.thumb.png.b7992693036c464b0484d75d1fd4554a.png

Yep the 16-17 winter was a wash out ....i remember mold and mildew went wild...i hope it's not that constant ! Let's throw in a few good pineapple express's for some warm rains at least..havent had many last couple of winters..holy cow...there calling for 35 tonight with poss frost...that would be my earliest since moving to the property...looks like a 1 night thing though!

• Like 1

You guys are pretty dry compared to me.  My yearly rainfall is 52.7" Humidity 73% yearly.  Hutch we'll have to see who is the coldest tonight! Airport calling for 35F.

• Like 1

The last two years we had frost in early October as well as some of the coldest weather all year. Not sure why it keeps doing that. Maybe because it’s still pretty dry. Average first frost is the second half of November. Tonight’s forecast low is 36F and I am expecting to wake to light frost, hopefully my elevation saves me. 

According to my weather app, my own thermometer and my car thermometer I hit 34F just before/at sunrise.  Very light frost in some places that dissipated once the sun was up for 30 minutes or so.  No apparent damage to the banana leaves or anything else.  Forecast has night time lows in the low to mid 40s going forward so no more frost hopefully until closer to December.

NO frost or freeze here, low 36F airport had 32F.

The airports normal first freeze is October 9th.

My place more like late October early Nov. 

• Like 1

Yep I got frost....down to 33.5...@745am...not much damage though banana plants got a little tinge..no wind clear ...up at Lowell where my son goes to school 7 miles away was 42 this morning with a pesky east wind...

1634079727980541104236125123408.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hutch said:

Huh...no I don't have one of those looks ...really cool...? 

Hutch, its a native Wolly Bear Caterpillar, Isabella tiger moth, feels really cool on you hands.  Farmer's Almanac says they can tell you what the winter will be like by the black band, wider means colder and narrower warmer winter.  I don't believe it but they sure are cute fuzzy little buggers. 

I haven't seen one of those since I moved here 5.5 years ago.  I find Western Oregon is pretty devoid of insects, this was the first year I saw Locusts and Orb Weavers.  Generally once I go through the Gorge to Hood river and to the east of the Cascades there's so much more life.

Stupid La Nina, i hope this isn't going to be a repeat of 2016/2017.  Below normal temps and above normal precipitation.  What can you do in this type of weather other than sit inside?

image.png.ef080703c27381b1164e7d1c1ffcf8c5.png

Yup the rainy season has started along with fall foliage.  Time to start dreaming of next spring and continue taking care of your baby palms in the house. 

This palm was planted back in 1994 the very first one as a 5gal, now I have over 40 of them.  

IMG-1695.JPG

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 2

Nice old-school... trachy.....text book.!...Im shaking my head ...Chester...im thinking it might get bad this year ,  The mule palm like to spot up with relentless rains ...jeeeeez...!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hutch said:

Nice old-school... trachy.....text book.!...Im shaking my head ...Chester...im thinking it might get bad this year ,  The mule palm like to spot up with relentless rains ...jeeeeez...!

I find the Butias get the spots too when there is excess rain. I hope this wet come early and leaves before Christmas. No way of knowing I guess. 

I don’t know if you’ve been reading the news apparently the storm/bomb cyclone/atmospheric river starting tomorrow will be the strongest storm in Northwest history?!

Let’s see what happens. I know I’m expecting high wind and rain the next couple days. 

Thank goodness it not suppose to make landfall in my area, so the winds will only be 25-27mph.  Just a brush against South Puget Sound. :violin:

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 1

We have high wind warnings here but so far nothing but a light breeze. It’s showing this afternoon as much worse but so far pretty uneventful. The rain was light yesterday and it rained most of the day. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chester B said:

We have high wind warnings here but so far nothing but a light breeze. It’s showing this afternoon as much worse but so far pretty uneventful. The rain was light yesterday and it rained most of the day. 

Some winds tonight and more on Monday morning. 

Edited by Paradise Found

10 minutes of some gusts and very little rain today. Pretty much a nothing storm out this way. 

Got. ...40 plus mph gust here during the storm  ..not much rain..though...rainbow now sunny most of the day and now rain...

1024211002.jpg

We haven’t had any chilly nights here other than that one in early October. But wow what a ton of rain we’ve been having and more to come. I went fishing last weekend out in Tillamook and the river was so high that the banks were gone. The plants and grass normally near the riverbank are actually underwater. And it looks like almost half an inch of rain for the next week each day. I sure hope this La Niña starts shutting down because this constant rain is really cramping my style.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chester B said:

We haven’t had any chilly nights here other than that one in early October. But wow what a ton of rain we’ve been having and more to come. I went fishing last weekend out in Tillamook and the river was so high that the banks were gone. The plants and grass normally near the riverbank are actually underwater. And it looks like almost half an inch of rain for the next week each day. I sure hope this La Niña starts shutting down because this constant rain is really cramping my style.

Very mild this morning, woke up to 59F as a low. Raining cats and dogs for the rest of the week.  And then next week will be more rain and so on, so on...

Here is the new record rainfall in WA state, in the last 24hr.  

TOP 4.

Seatac airport 3.25"

Olympia 2.87"

Hoquiam 2.35"

Bellingham 1.02"

Must be a Pineapple Express hitting us. That mean warm rain from HI is reaching us. 

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Paradise Found said:

Another Pineapple Express tonight. Almost midnight and 62f out, raining.

It hit us last night. Just wrapped up in the last half hour. Over 2” of rain with as much as 10” in the Coastal range.  Some areas experiencing flooding and a few mudslides reported. 

61f overnight and a high of 65 today. 

Edited by Chester B

We got half an inch more rain in the last two days then we did all of April to August.  2.79” recorded which was the wettest two day stretch since December 2015. 

:(

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

On 11/14/2021 at 2:33 PM, Trustandi said:

It is nice, warm and wet 64F here. But wth 48/31F on Tuesday :blink:. Bye-bye Brugmansia.

Might get down to 32F tonight or might stay above freezing. 

My Brugmansia is mostly underneath some palm fronds hopefully that will protect it for tonight. 

8 hours ago, Paradise Found said:

Tues. night 11:00 pm... fog my place 39F, Airport 31F.  

7:30 am fog, my place 42F, Airport 32F. 

• Like 1

I saw a low of 40 but it looks like some colder, drier air is on the way. This weekend it looks like a couple nights in the low to mid 30s. 

Edited by Chester B

• 2 weeks later...

Even though it’s a La Niña again, the weather has been pretty steady and although it was below average temps earlier in the fall we are now trending above. Still in the high 50s and a couple days predicted to be at 60f. Overnight lows in the 50s so no frost. Down this way the rain hasn’t been that bad, we’re trending slightly above normal amounts but nothing too far out of the ordinary. 

Has anyone had a light freeze yet?  I think my low has been 35F.  Still in the 50's for lows but that should change by the end of the week with mid 40's.

Edited by Paradise Found

3 hours ago, Paradise Found said:

Has anyone had a light freeze yet?  I think my low has been 35F.  Still in the 50's for lows but that should change by the end of the week with mid 40's.

Wow this weekend is looking chilly.