IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Copernicias Riverside California

JubaeaMan138

Enjoy this species so much I decided to try it from seed . This picture is about 1/4 of what I’ve got going . These guys love full sun out here !! From day one . 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 9

From what I recall cuban copernicias have done well in california weather.  The biggest problem might be gophers if they are around.

• Like 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

25 minutes ago, sonoranfans said:

From what I recall cuban copernicias have done well in california weather.  The biggest problem might be gophers if they are around.

Copies definitely want plenty of heat. Nearer the coast, they're very slow (as a group), in pots or in the ground.

The big exception seems to be C. alba, though C. prunifera isn't bad either. Note that both are nasty spiny, with kitty-cat claws on their petioles.

• Like 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Copernicia is a species that definitely appreciates the heat. Following are a few of mine growing in the Arizona desert to show what's possible.

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Copernicia berteroana 

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

IMG_20211006_074840745_HDR.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Mesa, Arizona

Copernicia macroglossa 

aztropic 

Mesa, Arizona

IMG_20211006_074903997_HDR.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

Mesa, Arizona

Copernicia yarey (blue)

aztropic 

Mesa, Arizona

IMG_20211006_074936343.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Only problem with Copernicia species is trying to locate them on the west coast! Fortunately,JubaeaMan138 is taking the time to grow them from seed.Give those seedlings another 5 years,and more Californians should get a better chance to trial this very hardy species. 

aztropic 

Mesa, Arizona

• Like 2

Mesa, Arizona

The cubans copernicias are slow no matter where you grow for the first 5 years.  I put my seedlings in half day sun and water when its not the rainy season.  Here are three hospitas and a macroglossa grown from strap leaf seedlings(3yrs this winter) and a 15g fallaensis I got earlier this year.  The rain here just seemed to invigorate them in late june as they were stalled almost in spring.  These cubans like getting wet, the irony here is keeping them wet with the sandy soil.  Out west clay helps a lot I bet.  You can contol moisture in clay soils easier than in sandy soil.

CubansNpots.JPG

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

5 minutes ago, Sabal Steve said:

This is about 5-6 years old (maybe) from a 3 gallon.A5DDFF2B-C099-4A8E-BADF-50D477BA8EF6.thumb.jpeg.b79a882cae718a7634b9883dd10d2925.jpeg0248E283-1B2E-49E2-B7F8-A29E61A3E34C.thumb.jpeg.4743cc3ce38186e03ead7e412ee4b665.jpeg20BC46EB-F7A2-46DA-ADDD-F936C916F022.thumb.jpeg.e005eefcbf90c6c5e256afef87813562.jpeg

Killer Steve!!! How’s your Baileyana ? 

4 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

The cubans copernicias are slow no matter where you grow for the first 5 years.  I put my seedlings in half day sun and water when its not the rainy season.  Here are three hospitas and a macroglossa grown from strap leaf seedlings(3yrs this winter) and a 15g fallaensis I got earlier this year.  The rain here just seemed to invigorate them in late june as they were stalled almost in spring.  These cubans like getting wet, the irony here is keeping them wet with the sandy soil.  Out west clay helps a lot I bet.  You can contol moisture in clay soils easier than in sandy soil.

CubansNpots.JPG

My strip out front is a clay/river rock/road base substrate.  I amended it, but it’s thick mucky clay a bit down.  I’ll surprised everything grows so well there, but I from what I remember (palms of Cuba ?) many of the Copernicias are seasonally flooded in clay soils, in Cuba.

FCE8E514-07DD-41A3-B3F5-CDA404345064.jpeg

• Like 2

Fallaensis lost a little size when I put it in the ground . But I imagine next year it will

look great 

image.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

Out west clay helps a lot I bet.  You can contol moisture in clay soils easier than in sandy soil.

10 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Nearer the coast, they're very slow (as a group), in pots or in the ground.  referencing California coast

Sandy soil on the coast in California, it can be done.  Perhaps a little more patience, but definitely something worth the effort on the coast.  I would have considered more from the genus if I had more space.  Photos are 5 years and 3 months apart of the same species, Coperncia x textilis one in my back yard, the second in the front yard.

20211006-BH3I5733.jpg

20160714-104A3949.jpg

20160714-104A3952.jpg

20211006-BH3I5735.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

33 minutes ago, Tracy said:

Sandy soil on the coast in California, it can be done.  Perhaps a little more patience, but definitely something worth the effort on the coast.  I would have considered more from the genus if I had more space.  Photos are 5 years and 3 months apart of the same species, Coperncia x textilis one in my back yard, the second in the front yard.

20211006-BH3I5733.jpg

20160714-104A3949.jpg

20160714-104A3952.jpg

20211006-BH3I5735.jpg

Eating crow can be tasty sometimes!

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Is that D. ambositrae Tracy? Prettier than the palmpedia pics I've seen.

Utah's captivating copernicias in captivity salute you. Here represented are baileyana, yarey, fallaensis and the biggest are 2 macroglossas.  Hogs are chowing down real good.

20211008_141538.jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Frond-friend42 said:

Is that D. ambositrae Tracy? Prettier than the palmpedia pics I've seen.

Utah's captivating copernicias in captivity salute you. Here represented are baileyana, yarey, fallaensis and the biggest are 2 macroglossas.  Hogs are chowing down real good.

20211008_141538.jpg

Killer! And In  Utah . I Got some Ekmanii should be leafing out here shortly ! 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Copernicia ekmanii community pot looks good as well little bit of cold damage on the tips but I’m happy with how they did outdooors considering these seed were sprouted at the beginning of winter and we’re outside as soon as they were sprouted Now that things have warmed up and things are waking up I hope these continue to survive 

image.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Cool picture . From left to right . Copernicia Baileyana , roystonea boriquena , aloe spectabilis , Copernicia Alba 

9E1495C0-AA77-419B-9281-325926834ABC.jpeg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Man this Copernicia gigas is looking good . Excuse the weeds the recent 104 temps with pouring rain has caused a bit of a weed problem this year . First year I’ve ever had a problem with weeds in September . 

A40001A5-6C1B-4E82-B470-A9F6B524A287.jpeg

6553C83E-62FE-4167-BC2B-D8C57485D0F5.jpeg

38962278-608E-425D-BD31-91B0A54C8525.jpeg

• Like 2