IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

It looks like some rain for SE Qld

Walter John

On Thursday night the 23 Aug we were getting 80-100mm of rain per hour, on Friday it was only 25-30mm per hour. This has been a memorable winter for us we have seen the driest, the coldest and now the wettest. Farmers are tough people, the sun comes out, we pick up and we look forward, we go on....

We're currently up at the Childers property and got just over 100 ml for the week and the cane harvesters were out again on Saturday.

We flew from Sydney to Hervey Bay on Friday morning or at least tried to until our plane was struck by lightning over Frasier Island and had to turn back and land at Brisbane for repairs,  Then the Hervey Bay airport closed and we ended up getting bused up there.  

It was bloody wet through the Sunshine Coast with water everywere.

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

• 2 weeks later...

We have had some rain again 160mm in the last three days. It has been a long time since we've had a spring this wet. With the frosts a few weeks back and all this rain in the last month [nearly a meter] fungal problems are now a real concern.

Unreal rain isn't it Jon. I planted some bamboo last weekend in anticipation of this weeks rainfall, the temps are a little too cool for my liking though. Looks like the wet will ease off by Sunday, a big low out East will give many more days of big surf.

I can't recall this sort of rain for August/September since I've been palm planting. The grass must be high your way. I mowed last Saturday for the first time in months, looks like it will need doing again this weekend.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

It has been good rain. Your bamboo should rocket away. The grass is just starting to grow after the frosts. And I wonder what that mother, nature is going to try next.

Just had hail here. Crap, crap, crap. :angry:

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

It was small hail, around a cm in diameter, but it's unnerving when you hear it coming for about half a minute before it hits. I don't think it was heavy enough to get under the canopy much, but it will spot a few things up a bit. It took about half an hour to melt from the lawn. I couldn't find any under the canopy at that stage, so it was probably warmer under canopy. Luckily it wasn't heavy enough to rip anything up.

The perils of winter, I mean spring, at 32S in September!!!

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

We had another wave of hail last night. This lot was smaller hail, but more of it, and it lasted a lot longer. It was very unnerving thinking of the damage on my marginal stuff. Anyway I got up this morning and the sun was shining, everything was drenched and steaming in the sun, and luckily very little damage. Just some slight discolouration to the extremities of some of my bottle palm leaves, and some spots on my Dypsis lucubensis. The Ptychosperma macarthuri's looked like they opened there spears a bit more in the rain. These tropicals are tough little things.

regards

Tyrone

I have had heaps of rain here, my oldest coconut palm is starting to look pretty crappy lots of black spotting. The soil is water saturated and cold, not good for my tropicals. This is by far the worst winter in living memory for me.

Mike

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

May Spring really kick in soon for you Mike.

Best regards

Tyrone

• 1 month later...

I sure hope this forecast brings us rain. Bloody dry here.

Forecast for

Thursday Thundery rain developing     Min 18    Max 27

Friday        Rain and thunderstorms      Min 17    Max 26

Saturday      Late storm                        Min 18    Max 30

Sunday        Fine                                   Min 18    Max 31

Monday        Showers and storms        Min 19    Max 30

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wev'e had lots of good rain here in the last 2 days Wal. Looks like they got the forecast right for a change!

Daz.

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!