IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Florida Winter 2021-2022

JLM

On 2/6/2022 at 7:11 AM, Jimbean said:

Sebastian wasn't 20F

There was probably noone inhabiting the Vero beach or Sebastian areas in 1899.  VB NWS records only date back to the 1940's.  In January 1985, the VB official low was 21F. 

• Like 1

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Just a fun observation, usually this thread is all doom and gloom. Sea fog time, cooler near the coasts right now than inland because of the cold water, kinda like San Francisco in July lol. 5C6C9F2A-EB4D-41E2-B5E4-667A29A98195.thumb.jpeg.9a72b191e21db2cf70313674bbe418c2.jpeg

• Like 1

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

I think the cold gulf was a huge detriment for zone 10 palms in 2010 here near the coast For this reason. Lots and lots of cold sea fog that year… 

• Like 1

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

26 minutes ago, NickJames said:

Models not good for next week? Hopefully just a fantasy. 

Most of the time it moderates as the event gets closer. But yeah, the GFS and Euro have freezing temps north of I-4 early next week. 

2 hours ago, NickJames said:

Models not good for next week? Hopefully just a fantasy. 

I don't worry much this time of year. It seems models modify up more than down like in Jan.  I also look at the NCEP blend of models as some can swing too far one way. GFS for example even has Pittsburgh as a high of 28 and dropping to -7 that night. Knowing that area weather well, that's really uncommon. 

Then again, I could be way wrong :yay:

Screenshot_20220220-215506_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/20/2022 at 11:12 PM, pj_orlando_z9b said:

I don't worry much this time of year. It seems models modify up more than down like in Jan.  I also look at the NCEP blend of models as some can swing too far one way. GFS for example even has Pittsburgh as a high of 28 and dropping to -7 that night. Knowing that area weather well, that's really uncommon. 

Then again, I could be way wrong :yay:

It looks like you got this one.  A few days ago, I was seeing high 30s and low 40s in the forecast for next Monday.  Now it's 50s and hopefully staying that way or better.

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

37 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

It looks like you got this one.  A few days ago, I was seeing high 30s and low 40s in the forecast for next Monday.  Now it's 50s and hopefully staying that way or better.

For a day or two the TWC forecast had the morning of March 1st at 45, now it's up to 58. Hopefully winter really is over. 

• Like 3

The forecast is one of warmth, except for tonight. Expecting 43F tonight. Otherwise, highs end up near 80F by the weekend and early next week. Some trees are beginning to leaf out up here, i havent been able to determine the type of tree yet though. Maples are producing seeds right now, some are already starting to leaf out. Buds on the Bradford Pears are starting to expand, should be flowering within the next couple of weeks. Spring is on the horizon.

• Like 3

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

40 deg F this morning. Already 49F at 8:30pm. Chilly.

In that weird time of year where it's light jacket in the morning, and then sweating in the sun at 11:00am if you're wearing anything more than shorts and a t-shirt.

In the 10 day forecast, nothing hotter than highs of 75 and one day at 78. Glad we're not getting temps near 90 deg at this time of year though! To each his own, but I don't miss that in Orlando...

As I get older, I like the heat less and less and favor moderate temps that don't make you sweat so easily. I still do like that tropical summer heat, but I don't long for it much outside those summer/fall months.

• Like 3

It is a glorious 80 degrees here in my lil piece of paradise. Palm trees dancin in the breeze. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, imcool said:

It is a glorious 80 degrees here in my lil piece of paradise. Palm trees dancin in the breeze. 

Good to hear and welcome to PalmTalk!

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

Yikes... just please don't be cold enough to kill off new growth that has started on all the plants and trees around here :crying:

Edited by Matthew92

Spare us the cold and just let us have the rain ;)

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

I think down here, per usual, winter is over by now.  We’ve had mostly lows in the 70s at night, with highs in the 80s during the day, the last few weeks.  Grass and palms are picking up speed with the “Hiawaii weather” if I just add the water.  Maybe some high/mid 60 degree nights ahead, but now it’s transitioning to hot and dry time. 

The lawn swamped the mulch like a tidal wave.   Lots and lots of neglected weeding to do now….  Ugh..  I hate weeding. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

06z rn of GFS and 00z run of ECMWF was showing freezing temps up here next week. Not buying it right now, at all. It better not happen, so many trees are starting their growth cycles, if we get a freeze then it will zap everything. Which by the way, below average temperatures in March does not necessarily mean bone chilling cold, averages are on the rise right now as we head into Spring.

For rainfall, the entire state of Florida could use a good dose of rainfall. About 85% of the state is in a level of drought right now, whether it be Lvl 0 or Lvl 1. The remaining 15% of the state with no drought is in the east/central and southern parts of the state.

• Like 2

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

1 hour ago, JLM said:

06z rn of GFS and 00z run of ECMWF was showing freezing temps up here next week. Not buying it right now, at all. It better not happen, so many trees are starting their growth cycles, if we get a freeze then it will zap everything. Which by the way, below average temperatures in March does not necessarily mean bone chilling cold, averages are on the rise right now as we head into Spring.

For rainfall, the entire state of Florida could use a good dose of rainfall. About 85% of the state is in a level of drought right now, whether it be Lvl 0 or Lvl 1. The remaining 15% of the state with no drought is in the east/central and southern parts of the state.

Freeze in March can totally happen up here though, even 20's. I remember the last few days of March 2014 right before my birthday we got right around freezing at my location. Another year (sometime in the early 2010's?) we got well down into the 20's.

But yes, this is far enough out in advance that it's doubtful whether it will pan out at what it's showing now.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I really really hope this changes, but NWS is forecasting 38F for Friday night and 32F for Saturday night. Lots of trees are leafing out right now. This sucks.

• Like 1

TWC showing some chilly mornings in store for us after a week of summer-like temperatures:

image.png.cde0d95fa11f036104201cdda8c1d32d.png

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

Welp... :wacko:

So it looks like we might be really doing this... I'm already strategizing my protection plans... Which includes trying to save the blossoms currently forming on my citrus trees :unsure:

(Excerpt) 
Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Mobile AL
417 PM CST Wed Mar 9 2022

Dry weather will follow for Saturday and Saturday night, while temperatures also turn sharply colder behind the strong cold front. Highs on Saturday are forecast to only reach into the mid 40s to lower 50s across most of our area. Increased northerly winds are expected late Friday night into Saturday, with gusts up to 35-45 mph, especially near the coast. A Wind Advisory may become necessary. A substantial freeze will likely impact much of the area Saturday night with lows in the lower to mid 20s inland and in the upper 20s to lower 30s near the immediate coast. /21

My current 10 day from Weather Channel

welp.thumb.JPG.2a0124a85ce674fd7b27958e427d51ab.JPG

• Like 1

Sorry to hear it @Matthew92 doesn’t look to last long but high 20s ugh! On Monday I saw 41 for Merritt Island but its crept up to 45 now which isn't too bad. Hopefully thats it for this year.

DEF5CA9B-7908-43B1-91B5-B7BA797960C9.jpeg

• Like 3

Forecast showing 38 here in Orlando for early Sunday morning. Ugh. This hot weather has all my torched zone 10 palms pushing out tons of new growth since the last freeze, and I really thought this crap was over. 

• Like 1

Former South Florida resident living in the Greater Orlando Area, zone 9b.

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

I forecast to get down to 47F Sunday morning.  Hopefully this will be the end of it.

Brevard County, Fl

Looks like somewhere between 34F-38F here.

202203101915_Composite_MarchColdFront.jpg

Lakeland, FL

Back up to 40 which I’m less uncomfortable with given the short duration. 42 would make me feel a whoooooole lot better. Fingers crossed it just ends up being 45 and I don’t have anything to really worry too much about. 

Former South Florida resident living in the Greater Orlando Area, zone 9b.

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

26F Saturday night. 26F. Twenty six.
Wow...
I guess this just gives me a good reason to dig up the elephant ears. They have already started growing back, but my reason to dig them up is not only because i dont want them to be set back again, but mainly because its toxic to dogs. I didnt know that until now. They will be dug up before the freeze and planted out wherever afterwards.

Lots of trees are leafing out right now, which makes this freeze even more sad. Nothing is hardened off yet, not even close.

On 2/19/2022 at 3:14 AM, SubTropicRay said:

There was probably noone inhabiting the Vero beach or Sebastian areas in 1899.  VB NWS records only date back to the 1940's.  In January 1985, the VB official low was 21F. 

There were pineapple plantations on the island in the 1890s. I believe all the pineapples were killed. I suppose that could at least give a minimum low.

• Like 1

My grandfather‘s family arrived in Palm Beach County in 1902 from Edmonton Alberta, Canada. My grandfather was born in 1904. They bought a store and unseen land at the junction of PGA and US-1 that was located on the east side of the Intracoastal.

They farmed pineapples, ran the store but the most lucrative activity (other than what they made from the pineapples-rhymes with dumb) was the bridge. At that time the travelers on US-1 would reach the Intracoastal only to find that the bridge was constantly up to allow the much heavier traveled waterway. Part of the duty that went with the land purchased was dropping the bridge to allow traffic to cross.

My grandfather was one of nine (9), two of which were girls (last two!). The family was Scotch/Irish and the boys were a little rough. It was their duty to handle the lowering of the bridge, which was operated manually and required almost every male in the family to push the large trundle that lowered the bridge. When a traveler reached the end of US-1 and encountered the end of the road and the Intracoastal, they would yell to the other side “We need to get across the bridge”. The response from my grandfather’s clan was “ How bad do you need to get across the bridge”. A bit of bargaining took place thereafter and that was that!

• Like 2

What you look for is what is looking

Should I go refill the propane tanks or roll the dice? Lol

looks far too windy and too much of a dew point/temp gap for frost. 

14 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

Looks like somewhere between 34F-38F here.

202203101915_Composite_MarchColdFront.jpg

Will you end up protecting anything with that forecast? 
I was up to a forecasted 47 now down to 44 in MI. 

6 hours ago, D. Morrowii said:

Will you end up protecting anything with that forecast? 
I was up to a forecasted 47 now down to 44 in MI. 

Not currently planning on it, but I might if it looks like the forecast is a bust early in the evening.  Then again, if something gets wiped out, it just opens up space for something a little tougher.

It looks like the forecast is tightening around the midpoint of those numbers currently.  TWC has 35F and NWS has 36F forecast here.  Still looks like 44F-45F in your neck of the woods.  What we actually get is another story...

For those that like to follow weather forecasts, here is something of interest:

Forecast for Orlando Executive (KORL):

202203111650_KORL_NWS_MarchColdFront.jpg

Forecast for 32803 (the same zip code without using the airport identifier):

202203111650_32803_NWS_MarchColdFront.jpg

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

Question- we’re going to get down to 35F on tomorrow night and I want to wrap a few off my tender newly recovering palms with freeze cloth  -but it is pouring down raining and all day tomorrow. Any thoughts on that?

9a NE Florida: 2 Phoenix Sylvester; 1 p.robellini; 2 Bismarckia nobilis; 1 Trachycarpus fortunei; 3  livistonia chenesis; 1 Dypsis decaryi; 1 Rhapis excelsa; 1 Sabal palmetto; 1 (double) Copernicia alba; 1 Chamaedorea catractarum 1 Licuala grandis, 1 Beaucanea recurvata, numerous cycads, tropicals, orchids. Winter 2022/23 Low 25F

9 hours ago, Almisa said:

Question- we’re going to get down to 35F on tomorrow night and I want to wrap a few off my tender newly recovering palms with freeze cloth  -but it is pouring down raining and all day tomorrow. Any thoughts on that?

If you can do frost cloth and then a layer of plastic until it stops raining, that should help.  Otherwise, if you can move the potted stuff under cover, that will do the trick.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

4 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

If you can do frost cloth and then a layer of plastic until it stops raining, that should help.  Otherwise, if you can move the potted stuff under cover, that will do the trick.

Thanks. Weird weather…..

• Like 1

9a NE Florida: 2 Phoenix Sylvester; 1 p.robellini; 2 Bismarckia nobilis; 1 Trachycarpus fortunei; 3  livistonia chenesis; 1 Dypsis decaryi; 1 Rhapis excelsa; 1 Sabal palmetto; 1 (double) Copernicia alba; 1 Chamaedorea catractarum 1 Licuala grandis, 1 Beaucanea recurvata, numerous cycads, tropicals, orchids. Winter 2022/23 Low 25F

5:34pm and it's already 46 degrees outside. This is going to be bad. 

Howling winds last night when the front moved through in the early morning hours. Gusts had to be around 50mph. Hadn't seen the trees sway like that in awhile. Woke me up. Could sense the force on the house when a big gust would hit. Lots of small twig debris, with some slightly worse tree damage in parts of town (dead sand pine fallen onto road in my neighborhood).

Amidst the gale, the temp dropped to 39 here before dawn. Some plants I hadn't brought in yet had new growth already partially wilted and/or windburned. 

Winds are dying down now. Finishing up protecting stuff outside. 

Forecast low is 29, but I have a bad feeling it's going to get considerably colder. We'll see...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Matthew92 said:

5:34pm and it's already 46 degrees outside. This is going to be bad. 

Howling winds last night when the front moved through in the early morning hours. Gusts had to be around 50mph. Hadn't seen the trees sway like that in awhile. Woke me up. Could sense the force on the house when a big gust would hit. Lots of small twig debris, with some slightly worse tree damage in parts of town (dead sand pine fallen onto road in my neighborhood).

Amidst the gale, the temp dropped to 39 here before dawn. Some plants I hadn't brought in yet had new growth already partially wilted and/or windburned. 

Winds are dying down now. Finishing up protecting stuff outside. 

Forecast low is 29, but I have a bad feeling it's going to get considerably colder. We'll see...

I went out right after the front came through to bring my empty pots inside as i would like to keep those, and the wind was roaring through the trees and i could hear snapping. Didnt see any noticable damages to the trees in the area but there is random leaves from trees from who knows where in my yard. Trash can was blown over and moved a foot away from where it sat in the process. 

I decided not to take any chances with tonights freeze. Based on current trends, it may not be as bad as it is forecast to be. Its supposed to be right around the freezing mark right now and im sitting at 35F. Regardless though, i still have 5 things wrapped up for tonight. The foxtail, the only in-ground pygmy date, recovering majesty, recovering queen from spear pull, and my bizzy seedling. All have lights and sheets except the smaller stuff which have some pots over them. Unfortunately my tangerine tree is too big to protect. There has been lots of new growth and on it with the recent warmth that sadly cant be protected. Hopefully that doesnt impact fruit production. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

The airport set a new daily record low at 36F.  You can see the steep drop start at the airport after the 50F reading at 22:50.  In my own case, yard temperatures ranged from 38F to 42F for ultimate lows.

image.png.1f37983b414d964cfe482af8229947b9.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL