IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Florida Winter 2021-2022

JLM

2 minutes ago, Rapha2343 said:

Hummm... so what's the best one in which we can trust? 

None are 100% trustworthy 100% of the time.. but some are closer to the target than others...

I myself will:   Carefully analyze run to run inconsistancies noticed w/ the global models, like the GFS / Ensemble models like GEFS, 4x times daily.  Check all updated runs of all longer term forecast models daily, weekly, monthly..  Look for any emerging patterns i might notice ( ..always remember, they too can flip on a dime ) 

Compare mental notes w/ what various forecasters might be seeing.. See which " solidify " over time..  Compare 5, 7, 10 day forecasts from local and national sources, and find a middle ground  ..then see who comes closest to what actually occurs on a particular day / week, etc.... 

Say all three local weather forecasters here predict a low range of 33, 35, 32, but national sources like WX Underground, Accuweather,  WX Channel, etc are forecasting a different range, say 35, 39, 38..  Middle ground, for me at least, would be 36, with the thought that it could go a tad lower ..or be a tad warmer.. But in the ballpark. Cold, but, for the most part, not cold enough to worry much. 

I'll add, Here at least, no one  ever gets how much rain we may see from a storm correct ( Summer esp. ) ..never, haha.. Have received over  an inch ..when .25" was predicted,  and vice versa.

2 hours ago, Rapha2343 said:

What? I thought The Weather Channel was the best one when looking for a 1-7 day forecast 

Your best source is weather.gov for 7 day forecasts. Anything beyond 7 days is a blur regardless of the app or website. The Weather Channel put out a February 2021 temperature forecast which showed much above average temperatures for Texas, then they had a record cold outbreak mid month.

February Temperature Outlook: Mild in Central, Eastern U.S.; Colder in  Northwest | The Weather Channel - Articles from The Weather Channel |  weather.com

• Upvote 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

1 hour ago, Silas_Sancona said:

None are 100% trustworthy 100% of the time.. but some are closer to the target than others...

I myself will:   Carefully analyze run to run inconsistancies noticed w/ the global models, like the GFS / Ensemble models like GEFS, 4x times daily.  Check all updated runs of all longer term forecast models daily, weekly, monthly..  Look for any emerging patterns i might notice ( ..always remember, they too can flip on a dime ) 

Compare mental notes w/ what various forecasters might be seeing.. See which " solidify " over time..  Compare 5, 7, 10 day forecasts from local and national sources, and find a middle ground  ..then see who comes closest to what actually occurs on a particular day / week, etc.... 

Say all three local weather forecasters here predict a low range of 33, 35, 32, but national sources like WX Underground, Accuweather,  WX Channel, etc are forecasting a different range, say 35, 39, 38..  Middle ground, for me at least, would be 36, with the thought that it could go a tad lower ..or be a tad warmer.. But in the ballpark. Cold, but, for the most part, not cold enough to worry much. 

I'll add, Here at least, no one  ever gets how much rain we may see from a storm correct ( Summer esp. ) ..never, haha.. Have received over  an inch ..when .25" was predicted,  and vice versa.

Ohh got your point. I'll be checking that.

By the way I'm not american hahahaha, I'm brazilian and have a trip in January to Florida. That's why I was looking for a prediction about the weather in January as I'm worried about the current warm weather. I want cold hahahahah!

Thanks a lot!  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JLM said:

Your best source is weather.gov for 7 day forecasts. Anything beyond 7 days is a blur regardless of the app or website. The Weather Channel put out a February 2021 temperature forecast which showed much above average temperatures for Texas, then they had a record cold outbreak mid month.

February Temperature Outlook: Mild in Central, Eastern U.S.; Colder in  Northwest | The Weather Channel - Articles from The Weather Channel |  weather.com

Oh wow that's a big mistake! Definetely those long weather forecasts are 100% subject to errors.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it! 

37 minutes ago, Rapha2343 said:

Ohh got your point. I'll be checking that.

By the way I'm not american hahahaha, I'm brazilian and have a trip in January to Florida. That's why I was looking for a prediction about the weather in January as I'm worried about the current warm weather. I want cold hahahahah!

Thanks a lot!  

:greenthumb: No worries..  Our weather agency is pretty good, but,  as you can see, nothing is ever 100%.   Regardless of the weather when you make your trip, enjoy it..  Would enjoy taking trip down there to Brazil..  You guys have all sorts of amazing plants / landscapes down there.

Many years ago, hung out w/ the Brazilian Soccer team after they'd won the '94 FIFA World Cup ( Was hosted in California.. Team was staying in a town near where i grew up )  Good times..

2 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

:greenthumb: No worries..  Our weather agency is pretty good, but,  as you can see, nothing is ever 100%.   Regardless of the weather when you make your trip, enjoy it..  Would enjoy taking trip down there to Brazil..  You guys have all sorts of amazing plants / landscapes down there.

Many years ago, hung out w/ the Brazilian Soccer team after they'd won the '94 FIFA World Cup ( Was hosted in California.. Team was staying in a town near where i grew up )  Good times..

Thanks so much man!! Yeah I'll absolutely enjoy regardless of the weather, cuz I really love Florida... Orlando, Miami, FLL and all those places are incredible, I cant wait!

And yeah for sure you would love to visit here, specially our amazing beaches from the south to the northeast! You'd enjoy a lot!

Regarding the story,  ohhh what a coincidence hahahahahahhahahaha! that must have been really funny. Unfortunately I was born after that so I didn't have the chance to see that WC, but people around me who was alive that time always says that was one of the best WC

• Upvote 1

Well, nothing but above average temperatures for the Southeast US on the "forecast-able" horizon. Boy, with that avg. to below avg. start to winter in November I thought we might be in for a cold winter- but apparently not the case so far. Still never know if we could get a surprise cold outbreak. Just not seeming to happen anytime soon.

This may be one of the warmest Decembers I've ever experienced here. I do find it disappointing cause I love the seasonal cold and know that it's good for all our plant species that are at the southernmost part of their range here. It's weird having all the annuals, tender tropicals, and perennials still green towards Christmas. 

Again, I have to think the pattern will flip sometime soon though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matthew92 said:

Well, nothing but above average temperatures for the Southeast US on the "forecast-able" horizon. Boy, with that avg. to below avg. start to winter in November I thought we might be in for a cold winter- but apparently not the case so far. Still never know if we could get a surprise cold outbreak. Just not seeming to happen anytime soon.

This may be one of the warmest Decembers I've ever experienced here. I do find it disappointing cause I love the seasonal cold and know that it's good for all our plant species that are at the southernmost part of their range here. It's weird having all the annuals, tender tropicals, and perennials still green towards Christmas. 

Again, I have to think the pattern will flip sometime soon though.

It will, "..But by how much? " is the platinum question.  ..We're just going to have to wait and see.. 

Conventional thought would suggest a pretty dramatic swing when the pattern does flip ..but, i'm not so sure.  Part of me has this nagging suspicion FL ..and much of the south for that matter..  may ..emphasize " may ".. avoid truly serious cold this winter.. at least in terms of when the coldest weather might occur..  East / maybe the S.E. could see a cool-ish end of winter / lead- up to spring, but again, ~ just a thought.. 

We know anything can happen.  As weird as the weather has been.. ( Supposed to be in the mid 60s to maybe 70, in Topeka / Lawrence, Kansas ..on X-mass  eve. Could be in the 50s < maybe 60s there, in spots > on New Years Eve.. Having lived there, and spent most of my time shoveling snow / navigating icy roads/ stairs about now, That's NUTS, lol ) ..Nothing can be discounted.

Remember well how warm it was when i first moved to FL. in '09,  just before seeing snowflakes/ wet sleet,  ..at sea level,  ..for the first time  ..ever..  ..While trimming Crotons and other " Tropical " stuff that morning. Would be yanking their sloppy, mushy corpses within a week. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Looks like it went down to about 47F to 48F here last night. 38F to 39F in a lots of places in the Brandon area. Saw one station in Ave Maria way south of here with a frigid 39F. It really can get cold in inland FL pretty far south!

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

1 hour ago, ruskinPalms said:

Looks like it went down to about 47F to 48F here last night. 38F to 39F in a lots of places in the Brandon area. Saw one station in Ave Maria way south of here with a frigid 39F. It really can get cold in inland FL pretty far south!

It stayed in the low 50s on Pine Island ( Lee County )

• Like 1

Palms not just a tree also a state of mind

Finally we are graced with some California weather! Highs in the mid-70’s and lows in the upper 50’s to lower 60’s at the beach! Unfortunately, it will not last long enough as we head back to the mid 80s for highs and low 70s for low’s as we head towards New Year’s. Expecting a nuclear freeze in January.

• Upvote 2

What you look for is what is looking

low this morning: 52.3F          predicted: 48F

winter nadir (1/10) is two weeks away

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Hit 32.5F this morning, looks like we are headed into 2022 without a freeze in my backyard
(i have reason to believe that the front was at least 32F as there was ice on the windshieds this morning)

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

15 hours ago, JLM said:

Hit 32.5F this morning, looks like we are headed into 2022 without a freeze in my backyard
(i have reason to believe that the front was at least 32F as there was ice on the windshieds this morning)

35F and 39F on the last two cold mornings. Lots of frost. Hopefully it helped keep plants dormant. 

This is absolutely insane. I've never seen such a consistent stretch of temps this warm in late December. We've had colder April weather before...

I enjoyed the seasonal cold the last couple of days, but now it's back to late spring weather :wacko: We are having a Central FL type winter so far. 

I just hope we get enough cold weather to keep things somewhat dormant.

insane.JPG.574a669eda7ea490ac9bff1756d5073b.JPG

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Matthew92 said:

This is absolutely insane. I've never seen such a consistent stretch of temps this warm in late December. We've had colder April weather before...

I enjoyed the seasonal cold the last couple of days, but now it's back to late spring weather :wacko: We are having a Central FL type winter so far. 

I just hope we get enough cold weather to keep things somewhat dormant.

insane.JPG.574a669eda7ea490ac9bff1756d5073b.JPG

Funny enough, the neighbors big maple tree still hasnt done a full leaf drop yet. Not sure whats up with that.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JLM said:

Funny enough, the neighbors big maple tree still hasnt done a full leaf drop yet. Not sure whats up with that.

Maybe not cold enough ..for long enough.. to convince the tree to shed all it's leaves..  Willow, Cottonwood and Chinese Pistache do the same thing here in the Valley.. Head uphill another 500 -1,000ft and 90% of the Willow and Cottonwood are leafless atm.  Nights up there have been jusst cold enough to trigger a dormancy response in colder spots.

Whats weird here is you'll have neighborhoods where some Pistache are coloring up nicely and shedding leaves, sitting next to bigger specimens that are as green as can be.. All under planted w/ Bougainvillea ..and some other stuff that is in full bloom, even now.  Winter- blooming form of Sweet Acacia are already flowering around town..

• Like 1

Models are beginning to agree on a cool snap (not a cold snap) between the 1/4/22 and 1/10/22. The GFS is showing a cold front sweeping through around the 4th that drops temps into the upper 30's for the NW part of the state, the Euro being much warmer and hardly showing anything in the 30's at all anywhere in FL, and the CMC is going with an all out 24F in the NW part of the state with low 40's in the Tampa/Lakeland vicinity. Something to watch, but likely nothing more than frost potential for the extreme northern part of the state as of right now.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JLM said:

Models are beginning to agree on a cool snap (not a cold snap) between the 1/4/22 and 1/10/22. The GFS is showing a cold front sweeping through around the 4th that drops temps into the upper 30's for the NW part of the state, the Euro being much warmer and hardly showing anything in the 30's at all anywhere in FL, and the CMC is going with an all out 24F in the NW part of the state with low 40's in the Tampa/Lakeland vicinity. Something to watch, but likely nothing more than frost potential for the extreme northern part of the state as of right now.

Thanks for the heads up. Please keep us updated as changes come about in the forecast....

• Like 1

Tropical Tidbit run shows nothing close to So Fl through January 10, 2022. It looks like one of those winters where all dips head west. Still expecting bubonic nuclear freeze.

• Like 1

Still in the extended range but a colder look indeed
18z GFS:
gfs_T2m_seus_39.png

0z CMC:
gem_T2m_seus_39.png

0z ECMWF:
Not out yet

Edited by JLM
  • Like 3

0z ECMWF is out, a little chilly but certainly not as cold as the GFS or CMC
sfct.us_se.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Thank you for the detail on January 4, 2022. Some more California weather with highs in the 70’sF with lows in the 50’sF. That stated, years like this usually give you a surprise nuclear Nurse Rachett…

Does someone know what's the difference between 2-meter temperatura anomaly and 850mb Temp Anomaly?? Cuz i'm seeing the GFS model and the former shows blue/purple on Jan 8th and the second shows yellow/white the same day.

Which one is more accurate? 

Edited by Rapha2343
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Rapha2343 said:

Does someone know what's the difference between 2-meter temperatura anomaly and 850mb Temp Anomaly?? Cuz i'm seeing the GFS model and the former shows blue/purple on Jan 8th and the second shows yellow/white the same day.

This is a good question. 2-meter temperatures are basically surface temps, while 850mb is 5,000 feet above the surface.

Edited by JLM
spelling
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Rapha2343 said:

Each denotes different temperatures at different heights in the atmosphere.. 2m ( 2 Meter ) Temp = suggested temperatures roughly 6ft above the surface.. 850mb = Temperatures at 3,800 - 5,200ft in elevation ..or roughly 5,000ft averaged.. or something like that.. 

Anyway, the "Anomalies " Would reflect how much warmer / cooler the temps are at that elevation compared to normal.  So, if a forecast map is showing  a -3C temperature anomaly at 850mb, that would = 6 deg ( F ) below average at that height, which would also keep surface temps lower, ..but not quite that cold.

I look at both, esp. during the summer here ( always rooting for below average 850mb anomalies because that usually means it won't be 116F every day, and a good sign our monsoon season pattern is actually bring rain )

When 850 anomalies are way above average, that is when we ( ..and almost anyone else under such above average heat at that height ) roasts..

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit
  • Like 3

@JLM  / others   ..Not sure if you'd seen this, but could be why the models are latching onto some deg. of a pattern change a little sooner than most people have been thinking.. Obviously not a guarantee.. Interesting none the less.

• Like 1

@JLM  / others   ..Not sure if you'd seen this, but could be why the models are latching onto some deg. of a pattern change a little sooner than most people have been thinking.. Obviously not a guarantee.. Interesting none the less.

Eric has always been an excellent source, i also follow Judah Cohen as well. The CMC models went nuts on the 12z run today, forecasting teens a couple of nights in NW FL for the 4th-6th time period. Not gonna happen.
However, i could see the GFS solution occuring, with mid 30's reaching the northern part of the state.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JLM said:

This is a good question. 2-meter temperatures are basically surface temps, while 850mb is 5,000 feet above the surface.

Gotcha! Thanks!

2 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Each denotes different temperatures at different heights in the atmosphere.. 2m ( 2 Meter ) Temp = suggested temperatures roughly 6ft above the surface.. 850mb = Temperatures at 3,800 - 5,200ft in elevation ..or roughly 5,000ft averaged.. or something like that.. 

Anyway, the "Anomalies " Would reflect how much warmer / cooler the temps are at that elevation compared to normal.  So, if a forecast map is showing  a -3C temperature anomaly at 850mb, that would = 6 deg ( F ) below average at that height, which would also keep surface temps lower, ..but not quite that cold.

I look at both, esp. during the summer here ( always rooting for below average 850mb anomalies because that usually means it won't be 116F every day, and a good sign our monsoon season pattern is actually bring rain )

When 850 anomalies are way above average, that is when we ( ..and almost anyone else under such above average heat at that height ) roasts..

Humm I got it.  But I didnt understand the -3C anomaly = 6F below average... isnt 6°F = -14°C??

Sorry if the question is dumb and the answer is simple, but I dont understand thaat much about those forecasting models. I'm learning to, btw.

Also,  which one should I base on? Cuz like one shows really below avg temperatures and the other (850mb one) shows kind of white/light yellow which is around average, while the other shows dark blue/purple on the surface. 

PS: That's referred to 6z GFS 

1 hour ago, Rapha2343 said:

Humm I got it.  But I didnt understand the -3C anomaly = 6F below average... isnt 6°F = -14°C??

Sorry if the question is dumb and the answer is simple, but I dont understand thaat much about those forecasting models. I'm learning to, btw.

Also,  which one should I base on? Cuz like one shows really below avg temperatures and the other (850mb one) shows kind of white/light yellow which is around average, while the other shows dark blue/purple on the surface. 

PS: That's referred to 6z GFS 

To explain the averages, 6F below average is 6F below the average temperature for that day. Say the average temperature for that day is 45F, 6F below average would be 39F. And if it was 6F above average, it would be 51F (This was an example)
All questions are likely good questions!
Also, you shouldnt base off of one forecast model. Rather than using one model, use as many as you can. In terms of global models, you have the American (GFS), European (ECMWF), the Canadian (CMC or GEM), and the German (ICON). Im sure there are more, but these are the ones made available to you on Tropical Tidbits.
You can also check out a Hi-res version of the ECMWF on Pivotal Weather, you can also look at the CFS to get an idea that the pattern might be changing over the next month or so. 
You also have your shorter range and hi-res models. These include the NAM (North American Model) and the HRRR (High Resolution Rapid Refresh). The HRRR updates every hour. There are also different versions of the NAM, such as 3km, 12km, and 32km. 32km has a resolution similar to the GFS, while the 3km has a resolution similar to the HRRR. The 12km and 32km go out to like 3 and a half days, while the 3km only goes out to 60 hours. These models are good for forecasting severe weather events, but not good at forecasting hurricanes (NAM 3km showed a Category 5 for Hurricane Barry 2019 LOL). 

On a side note from forecast models, i just had to mow the back yard on *checks calendar* DECEMBER 26TH
I have never had to do that before.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JLM said:

To explain the averages, 6F below average is 6F below the average temperature for that day. Say the average temperature for that day is 45F, 6F below average would be 39F. And if it was 6F above average, it would be 51F (This was an example)
All questions are likely good questions!
Also, you shouldnt base off of one forecast model. Rather than using one model, use as many as you can. In terms of global models, you have the American (GFS), European (ECMWF), the Canadian (CMC or GEM), and the German (ICON). Im sure there are more, but these are the ones made available to you on Tropical Tidbits.
You can also check out a Hi-res version of the ECMWF on Pivotal Weather, you can also look at the CFS to get an idea that the pattern might be changing over the next month or so. 
You also have your shorter range and hi-res models. These include the NAM (North American Model) and the HRRR (High Resolution Rapid Refresh). The HRRR updates every hour. There are also different versions of the NAM, such as 3km, 12km, and 32km. 32km has a resolution similar to the GFS, while the 3km has a resolution similar to the HRRR. The 12km and 32km go out to like 3 and a half days, while the 3km only goes out to 60 hours. These models are good for forecasting severe weather events, but not good at forecasting hurricanes (NAM 3km showed a Category 5 for Hurricane Barry 2019 LOL). 

On a side note from forecast models, i just had to mow the back yard on *checks calendar* DECEMBER 26TH

Understood. But how did you know that -3°C anomaly = -6F temperature below average for X day?

Also, thanks for explaining about the models. I'll check those another ones. I always see only GFS and ECMWF. Never seen those others btw.

Tropical Tidbits is amazing, love that platform.

Yeah man thats really surprising that u had to mow your yard in the winter, when we would expect temperatures to be WAY below what they are right now hahahahahahahh. Also here where I live,  temperatures are kind of average this month, however I'm worried cuz last January there were only 2 days of rain in the beginning and nothing more (here DEC-JAN-FEB-MAR is SUMMER). I saw nature dying. Extremely high temperatures, such as +96°F everyday and extremely low humidity (like 15-25%), literally a desert in the middle of the summer when the normal is to be raining almost every day.  Lets hope this doesn't happen this next year.

Anyway, lets keep our fingers crossed for that probable change of pattern forecasted for somewhen in January. I'll be there and I'd like cold weather :lol:

3 hours ago, JLM said:

That is pretty late for that part of FL.. Think i might have cut the grass once ...maybe twice..   during the Dec. - Feb. time frame in Bradenton

:lol: You're cutting it,  i'm kicking my own butt  trying to remove sections of it  ( Bleepin Bermuda of course, err, lol )  Have considered renting a sod cutter, but a bit pricey per day to rent. 

Someone really needs to invent an easy to use, not super expensive  motorized tool for undercutting it / other sod forming grass - Something like a hand held weed wacker, but w/ some sort of wide, rotating saw-like blade ..or some sort of vibrating serrated rectangle blade that can undercut sections to like 3" deep. :interesting:

Whats crazy is despite getting about 1.25" of rain from the last storm here, soil under the grass is practically bone dry in a lot of spots.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2021 at 3:19 PM, Estlander said:

Recorded 42.6F in my neck of the woods last night.

Eating outdoors at ~43F was no fun. :D

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

That is pretty late for that part of FL.. Think i might have cut the grass once ...maybe twice..   during the Dec. - Feb. time frame in Bradenton

:lol: You're cutting it,  i'm kicking my own butt  trying to remove sections of it  ( Bleepin Bermuda of course, err, lol )  Have considered renting a sod cutter, but a bit pricey per day to rent. 

Someone really needs to invent an easy to use, not super expensive  motorized tool for undercutting it / other sod forming grass - Something like a hand held weed wacker, but w/ some sort of wide, rotating saw-like blade ..or some sort of vibrating serrated rectangle blade that can undercut sections to like 3" deep. :interesting:

Whats crazy is despite getting about 1.25" of rain from the last storm here, soil under the grass is practically bone dry in a lot of spots.

Yeah, its was a pain removing sections of grass around my queens for mulching during summer, and that was with the ground being wet. Despite having 80+ inches of rain this year (well above average) we are almost in the "Abnormally Dry" category on the drought monitor here. Had plenty of dust plumes today, especially where the dogs like to play.
Not only did i need to cut the grass back a bit, i also needed to get rid of all those oak leaves too, and what better way to do that than to just mow over it? That part was actually satisfying lol

• Like 1