IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Florida Winter 2021-2022

JLM

1 minute ago, Jimbean said:

I was joking of course.  Central/south Floridians joke about the different parts of Florida, we call the panhandle 'Alabama' because it's far away from the stereotypical core of what is known as Florida. 

You're right on that one. Much different here than it is down there. Alabama has actually tried to buy the panhandle several times, obviously failed attempts.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

23 minutes ago, NickJames said:

Kiss my palms goodbye? Lol

so sad if they do go. They only managed a couple months! 

603A28FF-3285-4659-8930-FAF5A7A31927.jpeg

ED33EB44-FF8C-4AFB-BCFA-CAA66B54617D.jpeg

0F781784-2E29-496C-8912-0F409782C632.jpeg

For what it’s worth, Pine Island (along with Ana Maria) seem to be the warm spots of the night excluding the Key’s. Looks like you purchased a plot in the right space. 

Edited by JJPalmer
  • Like 1

Should I even bother uncovering my stuff tomorrow? It’s much better for my work schedule to uncover on a weekend versus a weekday but worried about impacts Sunday night/Monday morning?

This is looking worse than expected for Tampa, it’s down to 36f here already. I’ll probably be making a freeze damage post or two in a few days. :(

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

9 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

This is looking worse than expected for Tampa, it’s down to 36f here already. I’ll probably be making a freeze damage post or two in a few days. :(

I know.  35° here. I know most of my arecas will pull through but they're going to look terrible through at least the end of July. My foxtail is wrapped so it might be defoliated but come back in the summer. My big robellini's are under trees so that might be a saving grace

Screenshot_20220129-215649_Chrome.jpg

Edited by TampaPalms
  • Like 1

For some reason NW Pinellas is holding up really well. Even the mainland is pretty good in Dunedin with a lot of 45s and 46s west of 19. Clearwater Beach is roughly the same as Sanibel right now.

DFC54F79-6566-4DB3-95AD-BEF349B9C005.thumb.png.b39c9dd7037ec0b61838dff0207d8779.png

Edit: I see what’s going on. It’s a due north wind and places like Dunedin are far enough west to where the gulf is due north… It will shift to NE in a few hours so temps should drop a lot from there.

C828C3A3-8D6B-4661-8BB2-111B79FED3D0.thumb.png.e2d6b029755c0da52a28fa91aecf2046.png

Edited by RedRabbit

Temp at 10:30 is 45.5F.  Predicted low: 34F

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Very chilly throughout the city.  What started off looking like the advective freeze in Jan. 2018 is now looking more like the radiational freeze in Jan. 2008.  My sensor is not on Wunderground, but is currently holding at 39F.  I walked around the yard with a sensor and found a few cold spots down at 34F.  The area around the mangoes was 40F.  I imagine some of the local plantings are going to look like a blow torch hit them if we get in the 80s late in the week.  I saw a group of Foxtails out near County Line road today that already look torched.  No doubt it was already cold there.  Meanwhile, others near town have just a bit of yellow from deficiency due to chill.

image.png.bfe264b7bc67342c4fe52c0a54148129.png

Meanwhile, Winter Haven and the Bartow Airport are as mild as downtown Orlando:

image.png.5e25f095fce2ba879a0640bd9b46b72a.png

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Wrapped up the smaller buccaneer, a V. spiralis and the flamethrower. The flamethrower is on the North side of the house in a colder area so I put a 25 light strand of C-9s on stakes around the trunk and wrapped the rest up with a frost blanket. Getting +7 degrees at the top of the cocoon. 40 at the moment but feels a lot colder. Hoping no one suffers any major damage over the next couple days, good luck everyone

86D6276F-13C7-43E2-9A2D-34C5C96AE281.png

74799CC6-4D95-4B46-9584-04D4FB9ED475.jpeg

D9D63070-0E28-41DB-AC26-067461216546.jpeg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Very chilly throughout the city.  What started off looking like the advective freeze in Jan. 2018 is now looking more like the radiational freeze in Jan. 2008.  My sensor is not on Wunderground, but is currently holding at 39F.  I walked around the yard with a sensor and found a few cold spots down at 34F.  The area around the mangoes was 40F.  I imagine some of the local plantings are going to look like a blow torch hit them if we get in the 80s late in the week.  I saw a group of Foxtails out near County Line road today that already look torched.  No doubt it was already cold there.  Meanwhile, others near town have just a bit of yellow from deficiency due to chill.

image.png.bfe264b7bc67342c4fe52c0a54148129.png

Meanwhile, Winter Haven and the Bartow Airport are as mild as downtown Orlando:

image.png.5e25f095fce2ba879a0640bd9b46b72a.png

Whoa that doesn’t sound good. Tomorrow night doesn't look to be a picnic either.

• Like 1

Sitting at 41.3 approaching midnight in Belle Isle. All 5 reporting stations in town are between 40 and 42. We got a little bump up a few hours ago and now falling again.  The NAM has nailed every hour here. I checked the temp inside the burlap around the coconut trunk and it hit 79. I actually turned the heater down some because I don't want to shock the tree with a warm trunk and cold canopy.  

Screenshot_20220129-232456_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NickJames said:

My temp is on the rise in Osteen. 

Same here. It bottomed out at 34.9 and it’s back up to 37… I’ve seen this happen a few times in the past and I’m not sure why it occurs. In the past it has always been a temporary respite before the decline resumes.

• Like 2

Just now, RedRabbit said:

Same here. It bottomed out at 34.9 and it’s back up to 37… I’ve seen this happen a few times in the past and I’m not sure why it occurs. In the past it has always been a temporary respite before the decline resumes.

Not sure if you're near a body of water but a slight breeze pickup or a wind direction change can carry a marine layer or even cause some mixing. 

Definitely mixing. At least in my instance, my actual weather station is only 10 feet off the ground and therefore has a significant reduction in wind speed recorded from certain directions that have substantial wind blocks. Actual NOAA stations are 10+ meters off the ground and more consistently record the mixing.

I also now have many lakes to my northwest.  

• Like 1

Just now, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Not sure if you're near a body of water but a slight breeze pickup or a wind direction change can carry a marine layer or even cause some mixing. 

I checked Wunderground and it looks like all of Tampa just went up by about 2-3f. Based on the wind direction there’s no water that’s helping. Sky’s are clear too so it wasn’t cloud cover. 

• Like 1

Mine went up from 34° to now 38°.  It appears glancing over some stations the wind has switched more northwest. 

Edited by TampaPalms
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

I checked Wunderground and it looks like all of Tampa just went up by about 2-3f. Based on the wind direction there’s no water that’s helping. Sky’s are clear too so it wasn’t cloud cover. 

If you look at my graph earlier, temps leveled or bumped up with the wind. Seems like most Tampa locations I checked did the same. With cold air settling and warmer air aloft, it might be the breeze is causing some mixing.  Great to hear Tampa area bumped up. 

• Like 2

Earlier today all weather sites I checked showed my low for tonight as between 35-39F. It’s midnight and I’m sitting at 27.5F. This is nuts. Talk about getting it completely wrong. 

• Like 1

I won’t be up for any screenshots in the morning, but whomever is I’d strongly suggest starting a separate thread. If they’re posted on page 16 here it’s going to be hard to find them for future reference later. :greenthumb:

4am….   43 out on the streets, 43 in the driveway, 43 according to the weather app on my phone.  Maybe supposed to drop a couple more degrees before sunrise?   4397A0A8-4892-413F-B021-13D7456408F5.thumb.jpeg.4aa15531784da93c14909ff67094c7ba.jpegE59310E7-3B4D-45A9-A9E2-130E82132789.thumb.jpeg.8d44fe8e711d034c3c60c4e7e2022d0d.jpeg

• Like 1

31.1F in my open back yard no canopy at sunrise. Could have been worse looking around at the weather maps this morning…

No frost to be found anywhere at least. Will see how tonight goes with that.

60206EAA-E89C-491F-9F0E-6CD391720926.jpeg

Edited by ruskinPalms
Additional information

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

The closest station to me reported 36.9F, the next closest three all reported 35.2F.  That's about a 1.5F difference within a 1/4 mile. 

• Like 2

Brevard County, Fl

Low was 34.7 on my Davis Pro. I walked around the yard with a handheld and it fluctuated 34/35. Stations on the lake all seemed to go to 34. Just a few miles away from the lake, numerous 28-30 readings. Some of those rural readings along I-4 were jaw dropping...22-24. 

Screenshot_20220130-073558_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I have been checking the temps across FL on Weather Underground for the past couple of hours. It seems like everyone is several degrees above what was forecasted. I assume it is because the breeze kept up? If that is the case, tonight will be even COLDER as they are forecasting the winds to die down. I think tonight will be the damaging and colder night of this event, unfortunately.

6 hours ago, Estlander said:

Earlier today all weather sites I checked showed my low for tonight as between 35-39F. It’s midnight and I’m sitting at 27.5F. This is nuts. Talk about getting it completely wrong. 

Same here. Low was forecast at 31-30, and my yard got to 25. Last afternoon/early evening though, I had a hunch it would get much colder...

Edited by Matthew92
  • Like 1