IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hotter than "Blazes"

LA PALM BOY

Larry - Damn  :o  That's hot!

Dew point above 80 is downright humid.  How do you handle such conditions?  Do you avoid working in the garden on days like you are experiencing today?

It is hot here also though the worst of the heat is inland, as usual.  From Santa Monica where it is near 80F the temp climbs well above 100F in less than 10 miles  :o  Some areas in the San Fernando Valley may top 110F today.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

(happ @ Aug. 29 2007,19:09)

Dew point above 80 is downright humid.  How do you handle such conditions?  Do you avoid working in the garden on days like you are experiencing today?

I love the heat!  

I grew up in Maine, so I learned to not be averse to heat when the alternative is cold  :D

Plus...this type of condition really makes the palms/plants leap out of the ground!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Well we broke the record, its 112F at 402 PM, that makes 29 days at 110F or higher this year.  Humidity is only 13%, so it "only" feels like 110F IN THE SHADE.  In the sun it feels more like 130F, but we all have covered porches here.  But the lack of humidity makes it even harder on palms as they lose water rapidly.  I see a few hours of synthetic rain clouds over my backyard already.  My local weatherman(me) says there is a 100% chance of sprinkler rain just after sundown.  After that the heat index should rise as my backyard becomes muggy and intolerable for humans and a welcome relief for the palms.  Last year I remember we got a nice cool off mid august, this year the dry/hot came back with a vengeance.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

(spockvr6 @ Aug. 29 2007,19:15)

(happ @ Aug. 29 2007,19:09)

I love the heat!  

I grew up in Maine, so I learned to not be averse to heat when the alternative is cold  :D

Plus...this type of condition really makes the palms/plants leap out of the ground!

Well if you love the heat we can rig up a lawn chair in full sun here for you.  And if you really love the heat we can put that lawnchair on the 150F degree blacktop in the walmart parking lot, you'll be in heaven.

Tom Blank

Tom,

I lived in Phoenix for awhile. I couldn't  do it. I don't know if you are originally from there, but I was DYING in the summer. It made me physically ill.

My brother has lived there for over 15 years. He is even getting frustrated with the heat! :o

Doug

Los Angeles, California

Avg July: Sunny, 72F

Avg January: Sunny, 72F

Coldest Ever Recorded: Sunny, 72F

Ave Annual Precip: Sunny, 72F

:cool:

Tend to agree with Doug about desert heat.  I was raised in the Central Valley where afternoon temps average near 100F during summer [although this year has been cooler] & even with the low relative humidity it is just plain too hot.

Yesterday I needed to run several errands; frequently in & out of my car.  Within an hour I was drenched and my shirt was all winkled enough that I needed to change into another one before returning to work.  It's been humid in LA lately but the moisture should diminish as the weekend nears  :D

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

This evening at 8pm - it was 102F in the atrium, measured by a thermometer that was in the shade all day. At Midnight it had dropped to 88F.

Apparently this trend will continue into the middle of next week. I just hoping we'll get some good growth out of it :)

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

(LA PALM BOY @ Aug. 29 2007,19:38)

Tom,

I lived in Phoenix for awhile. I couldn't  do it. I don't know if you are originally from there, but I was DYING in the summer. It made me physically ill.

My brother has lived there for over 15 years. He is even getting frustrated with the heat! :o

Doug

Doug I hear you, I've been here for 9 years and its getting old in the summer.  Winters are very nice, as is spring and fall.  But our sun is hotter here than in florida by alot.  Since we humans are 70% water and we heat up by absorbing light that water absorbs, any humidity in the atmosphere will filter sunlight in a way that makes it cooler to us(and to our palms which are also largely water).  This summer was particularly brutal as the record suggests.  I think that if you dont own a pool, you just cant live here, period.  On the bright side, pools are best here, better than anywhere I've been.  In the dry times of the year they are sublime.  They are more refreshing, by far, than say florida or back east as evaporative cooling will just suck the heat out of you when you get out or even at the waterline of your body.  I still am considering relocation, but its a hard decision as I would then most likely not be able to grow many palms.  I do enjoy my palm hobby immensely, its my pleasure boat that I dont have, and I can view their beauty all the time, every season.  I also currently have 5 weeks paid vacation, and will be kauai next week.  Its kind of hard to leave behind.  

Still, the pacific northwest is calling me, I figure I am about 9 years short of my lifetime rain quota, blue skies that I used to wish for are so common here they are boring.  I have seen 140 days in a row without rain(last year).  My wife and I walk in the rain when it does rain, its therapeutic.  It did rain last night here, about 0.1-0.2 inch, perhaps, 15 minutes worth.  My bismarckias responded by opening up new spears by morning.  I laugh about the drought threads as we have a drought here all the time.

Tom Blank

On the bright side, pools are best here, better than anywhere I've been.

When I lived there, I had a pool. I remember during the hottest days of the year, the pool temp. got up to 95 DEGREES!! It was like bath water!! :o

The first time I knew I couldn't live there was when I got out of the pool during a hot day. I got out, walked around the pool to get the towel and by the time I got there (about 30 seconds) I was already DRY!! :laugh:  :laugh:

Doug

Los Angeles, California

(LA PALM BOY @ Aug. 30 2007,13:24)

On the bright side, pools are best here, better than anywhere I've been.

When I lived there, I had a pool. I remember during the hottest days of the year, the pool temp. got up to 95 DEGREES!! It was like bath water!! :o

The first time I knew I couldn't live there was when I got out of the pool during a hot day. I got out, walked around the pool to get the towel and by the time I got there (about 30 seconds) I was already DRY!! :laugh:  :laugh:

Doug

Actually, the pool water is hottest when the air is humid.  On the hottest days of the year it is low humidity, there is alot of evaporation and the water is not as hot.  One key is to shade the pool from western sun, it'll take 4-5 degrees off the hottest water temp.  Also waterfall and evaporative cooler can drop the water temps by 7-8 degrees overnight.  Right now my pool water is comfortable AFTER the sun goes down, and when I get out, yes you dry off fast and thats called "evaporative cooling".  Evaporative cooling IS the way your AC works, if you dont dry off fast, you dont get cool, like in florida humidity where a pool is a waste of time.  We use the pool at least 4 months a year here, but not much right now.  I love san diego, who needs a pool there anyway.  LA is another matter, I'd rather live in oregon or northern california for many reasons.

Tom Blank

LA is another matter, I'd rather live in Oregon or northern California for many reasons.

I understand...many people do not like LA. It seem that San Diego is the "hot spot" (no pun intended!) for Phoenicians.  I can see that...Even my Bro was talking about moving there.

Everyone is different. When I was in Phoenix, I encountered many (what I call "evil") experiences. I lived on Central and Camelback...maybe Gilbert is a nicer place... :)

By the way, it's 92 here with 43% humidity...we are not used to this. I spoke with my wife who works in Sherman Oaks....it's 103 there right now! Is it over 110 again today there?

Doug

Los Angeles, California

It's not much better than Arizona in coastal SoCal today although right at the ocean it is nice.  Inland just a few miles it is miserable with temps pushing 100F and humidity high.  Last night a few thunderstorms occurred but rainfall was non-existent at my house  :(

It was forecast to be hot this week but the humidity wasn't suppose to be this high after the remnants of hurricane Dean moved away.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Hey Happ,

Soooo....how'd ya like the lightning and thunder last night? It woke me up at 3:00 this morning!  :laugh: Unfortunately...no rain here either... :(  

Doug

Los Angeles, California

Yesterday it was 101, Today it was 100. Now its a cool 94. The humidity is pretty high. Hear theres some rain down to our south. My uncle called in Fresno, and it was raining hard.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

August 2007 has turned out to be the hottest August in Cincinnat's recorded history which goes back to the 1860's. We broke triple digits 5 times this month & fell below 90*F 5 times as well.

August Averages: 85/64 3.79" rainfall

August 2007 actuals: 94/70 0.55" rainfall

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

Thunder and lightning starting around 2AM and lasting past sunrise. Rain, hail, drizzle, wind. Didn't get much sleep overnight. It was overcast most of the day at home and the high was 95. At work in town the sun came out late in the day and temps quickly rose to near 100. Right now 79F and 69% humidity.

Seems like the main rain front was centered on NE Fresno and eastern Madera county. Interesting to see hotter temps north and south of us.  

Yesterday, it was 108F here, Fresno set a record at 107F.  Today was forcast for 108, but it never happened because of the cloud cover.   Tomorrow is forcast for 105F and a heat index of 115F.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

Well we exceeded 110F again yesterday, that makes 30 days this year(old record was 28).  Last night it rained on my palms(real rain) another 0.2 inches or so.  That rain just dropped the temp from 104F to 91F in 20 minutes about a half hour after sundown.  This morning was 85F/47% RH at 7 am.  The pool was pretty nice this morning, just cool enough to be refreshing.  It takes some knowledge to stay comfortable in the AZ desert.  The orientation or exposure of the house, pool, trees etc are pretty critical.  Many people move in with no knowledge and get cooked.  The worst case scenario would be western exposure for the back yard with alot of windows and xeriscaping.   Those houses turn over so fast its hilarious as there is no where to hide -inside or out- and the pool just boils in summer.  The poor unsuspecting new homeowner expereinces a +150 a month ac bill and STILL cant keep cool.  In Arizona its ALL about the sun.

Tom Blank

This is pretty much the worse heat of summer in LA though this season has been near to below normal temps esp at the immediate coastline.  My location is close enough to marine air [max yesterday: 97F

Valley temps are horrible w/ 100 - 115F predicted today [Calabasas 114F  :o

More tropical air overhead during a summer characterized by a weak monsoon. Surprised there aren't any fires [ex Zaca] with all the lightning.  I am worried about the upcoming "santa ana" season  :o

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

The 10am report says it's 85* with 47% humidity....seems hotter to me!! My air is on full blast and it's still 78* in here!

Doug

Los Angeles, California

The humidity has really been affecting the overnight temos down here in SD. Normally, we bottom out in the mid to upper 60s for lows. Lat night, we had a low of 72. The humidity keeps the heat from escaping. I'm sure that the plants like it, though. I hope this heat will spark my barbados cherry to bloom and fruit. I had a great crop last year, but nothing yet so far in '07.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

113 and humid in Woodland Hills-maybe the hottest I've ever felt it here.

WOW!! That's worse than Phoenix!!! 94F here now and humid...

"The Great Cool Down" isn't supposed to happen until Tuesday...

Los Angeles, California

100+ Club

Way more than can be reported from West LA/Getty Center: 101F to Death Valley: 118F.  Inland NorCal 100's.

Still 85F @ 10:00PM

Today: 101/75

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Can't help predict that today will be extremely hot with 9:00AM temps already pushing 90F in Westwood  :o

Spent last evening w/ family at Hollywood Bowl.  Audience was restive [sweat  :o & happy that the temp dropped below 80F by midnight.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Funny, happ...I was just about to post the 9am conditions:

Right Now for

Los Angeles, CA

Sunny

87°F

Feels Like

88°F

Updated Sep 2 09:00 a.m. PT

Wind: From SW at 1 mph

Humidity: 47%

Pressure: 29.80 in.

Dew Point: 64°F

Visibility: 10.0 miles

I wouldn't be surprised if it makes it over 100 today here in W.wood.

Today WOULD be a PERFECT beach day except for the 2 million OTHER people in So. Cal. probably have the same idea!! :laugh:

Doug

Los Angeles, California

Did someone take San Diego and put it back down in Houston or Miami? If so, can they please cough up some air conditioning???? ???

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Did someone take San Diego and put it back down in Houston or Miami? If so, can they please cough up some air conditioning?

John,

It's 80* in my apt. WITH the air on full-blast! (old building).

By the way:

Los Angeles, California

Truly hot today  :(  Keeping me busy with thirsty potted plants.

105F makes this the hottest day of the year at my place  :o

Only blessing is that relative humidity drops during the worse of the heat though dew points stay above 60 degrees.  Lightning is responsible for several fires [san Bernardino Mts & above Palmdale.  T-storm build-ups every afternoon in LA's backyard = San Gabriel mts  :cool:  Wish that moisture would advance westward & rain  :P  GFS  [a computer model, predicts  Henriette's heavy rain/wind for SoCal nx wkend.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

(LA PALM BOY @ Sep. 02 2007,13:20)

Did someone take San Diego and put it back down in Houston or Miami? If so, can they please cough up some air conditioning?

John,

It's 80* in my apt. WITH the air on full-blast! (old building).

By the way:

Right Now for

Los Angeles, CA

Sunny

93°F

Feels Like

94°F

Updated Sep 2 10:25 a.m. PT

UV Index: 6 High

Wind: From SSW at 3 mph

Humidity: 37%

Pressure: 29.80 in.

Dew Point: 63°F

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

John...whole house attic fans are the way to go. Be sure and get one that moves at least 3,000 cf per minute. I will be installing one in the next few months (too late for this heat spell) I'm also going to put in a/c, for those few times it REALLy gets hot.

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

I'm lucky.  The house is really, really well insulated.  It's three stories on a hillside facing west.  The master bedroom which is on the top floor has shade cloth which is lowered during the day...same thing for the two big sliding glass door windows on the main/middle floor.  I close everything up in the morning and the house stays cool until abour 4-5pm.  Around then I open the bottom level sliding glass doors and the top floor east facing windows so I get a current that pushes the hot air that has collected on the top floor.

Actually it works pretty well.  The only time that it doesn't is when it is really, really hot and humid AND there is no wind.

-Ron-

-Ron-

Please click my Inspired button. http://yardshare.com/myyard.php?yard_id=384

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.

Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Here we go again!! :P

Right Now for

Los Angeles, CA

Sunny

94°F

Feels Like

97°F

Updated Sep 3 10:45 a.m. PT

UV Index: 7 High

Wind: From SW at 2 mph

Humidity: 38%

Pressure: 29.82 in.

Dew Point: 65°F

Visibility: 8.0 miles

The worst thing is, there's no breeze... :(

Los Angeles, California

We've had it with this heat wave  :o  4th consecutive day of 100+ temps & hot nights.

Lots of extra irrigation. No noticeable damage thus far.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

It was 113 here yesterday... set a record for Riverside. Seems like it's been above 100 for like 2 weeks. I have noticed that my plants that usually don't mind the heat like Dypsis Baronii, ensetes, certainly the tree ferns, are showing lots of burn.

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Here are the 9pm conditions...WOW!!

Right Now for

Los Angeles, CA

Clear

87°F

Feels Like

87°F

Updated Sep 3 09:00 p.m. PT

UV Index: 0 Low

Wind: CALM

Humidity: 33%

Pressure: 29.76 in.

Dew Point: 53°F

Definitely more like Abq. on a hot day!!

Los Angeles, California

Looksa like we're cooling off here 106, 11% RH yesterday with some cloudcover and projected temps down to 95 F by thursday with a rise in humidity.  Now will be the time that my palms start growing fast again and recover from the nasty summer heat.  The pool has also cooled off pretty nice, its liveable again.  Two solid months(sept and oct) of good growing weather coming here for sabals, bismarckias, queens, chamaerops.  After that, only the butias and roses will be growing significantly.

Tom Blank

(Fouquieria @ Sep. 02 2007,21:48)

I'm lucky.  The house is really, really well insulated.  It's three stories on a hillside facing west.  The master bedroom which is on the top floor has shade cloth which is lowered during the day...same thing for the two big sliding glass door windows on the main/middle floor.  I close everything up in the morning and the house stays cool until abour 4-5pm.  Around then I open the bottom level sliding glass doors and the top floor east facing windows so I get a current that pushes the hot air that has collected on the top floor.

Actually it works pretty well.  The only time that it doesn't is when it is really, really hot and humid AND there is no wind.

-Ron-

Yeah, me too Ron!  I've found that the west facing hillside is awesome when it comes to catching a cool a breeze.  I'm consistantly 5-7 degrees F cooler than even a few miles away from me towards the coast due to the fresh air.  When that breeze stops it's brutal though.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Relief is on the way!! :P

Forecast Conditions

Los Angeles, CA

Wed

Sep 5

Partly Cloudy

79°/63°

Thu

Sep 6

Partly Cloudy

76°/63°

Fri

Sep 7

Partly Cloudy

76°/63°

Sat

Sep 8

Sunny

77°/64°

Sun

Sep 9

Sunny

79°/65°

I noticed a slight WSW breeze here today that has been absent the last few days. If anyone has been following my "current conditions" posts in the past few days, winds were 0-3mph on every post.

Current winds: SW at 10 MPH.

The winds of change!!  :cool: (Hey!!! Maybe this comment should be in one of the political discussions!!) :laugh:

Los Angeles, California