IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hotter than "Blazes"

LA PALM BOY

OK...So we are spoiled out her, but it's currently 90 degrees F with 40% humidity....definitely not used to it.

The whole country is pretty much hot. How is it there?

Doug :cool:

Los Angeles, California

Avg July: Sunny, 72F

Avg January: Sunny, 72F

Coldest Ever Recorded: Sunny, 72F

Ave Annual Precip: Sunny, 72F

:cool:

81 deg. F high with slightly lower RH.  Pretty average day for the summer.

Jason

Menlo Park, CA  (U.S.A.) hillside

Min. temp Jan 2007:  28.1 deg. F (-2.2 deg. C)

Min. temp winter 2008: 34.7 deg. F (1.5 deg. C)

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

It's been pretty hot in Granada Hills the last few days, but nothing like last year... UGH!

High -      103F

Low -       69F

Humidity- 26%

Wind -     4MPH

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Fairly warm along the coast here in San Diego as well....at least in comparison to normal. My backyard topped out at 84F and is feels mighty wet. Nice thunderheads out to the east, but they'll never make it here. Maybe it will rain again in 2015.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

It's been toasty here in the Southeast.  We've been at or near 100F for over a week now.  Humidity has been high as well with dewpoints around 70-75.  Yesterday was not so humid though.  It was 100F, but it felt much more tolerable because the dewpoint was around 60F.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

John,

Maybe it will rain again in 2015.

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Los Angeles, California

Well today will be 90 with 60% humidity.  It could stand to be a bit warmer and more humid though... the palms like it.

Staying hot in the foothills/valleys though not too much above 100F in the warmest regions [ie western San Fernando valley/Santa Clarita valley.  Humidity seems to be less a factor today but irrigation is in high gear.

The first 2 weeks of August were delightful but it has been in the 90's ever since though only about 5 degrees above normal for August [normal average max: 89F].

It should cool down a bit this weekend before warming up again next week.

Overall, good palm growing weather  :D

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Yesterday the area hit 101*F, broke the daily record. The area only averages about 11 days 90 or above and so far we've hit 90 or higher 29 days so far this year with 2 of those days above 100.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

Still hot!! 88 degrees, 45% humidity...Supposed to be 92 today... :(

Los Angeles, California

It was hot [near or above 100F inland but the inversion droppred below 200'.  Good visibility.  I took some photos of Pasadena & the San Gabriel valley this evening [will post later.

Appears cooler weather will have to wait while the subtropical hi retrogrades further west out/over the Pacific.

Dew points/humidity are comfortable [40-60 degrees/%

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Currently 95.1 with a 107 heat index. This weather ticks me off, I am jones'in to get outside. Gah. I worked out there until noon then had to wimper on in and cool off.

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

It maxxed out at just under 98F at my house today.  But, the humidity has been comparatively lower than usual (dewpoints in the upper 60's) so it doesnt feel as bad as it might otherwise.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Another hot one today!  My yard maxxed out at 98.4F at 334PM.  This is the highest temp I have logged since I installed a weather station in May 2006.

Larry 

(steve 9atx @ Aug. 21 2007,16:24)

Nor in Maine....

My parents live up there in the summer and my father emailed me this AM saying the past two mornings have been 41F!  And....their hosue is on a good sized lake.

Areas farther north and away from water were in the middle 30's...with frost!

Larry 

Is this Florida or Las Vegas?

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

80's the 1st 10 days of the month followed by 90's ever since, but big change is in store as a trough slides down the Pacific coast w/ cooler/somewhat moist air especially if remnants of Hurricane Dean move northwest into California.  We desperately hope  :o

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Today was the 27th day this year with official temp of 110 degrees F or higher for Phoenix, Arizona. All time record is 28 days which we will tie tomorrow as they are predicting 112 with a couple of 110 days to follow.

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Ahhhhh...finally....78 degrees today...

Doug

Los Angeles, California

(LA PALM BOY @ Aug. 21 2007,22:14)

Ahhhhh...finally....78 degrees today...

Doug

Doug

Perhaps 87F [per NWS for Westwood  ???  Don't despair cooler air in on the way [at least for a few days  :D

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Perhaps 87F [per NWS for Westwood  ???  Don't despair cooler air in on the way [at least for a few days  

What's the happ's happ.. :D

I was in SM today so I may be wrong...official airport high was 78....

Doug

Los Angeles, California

Sorry Doug [my mistake  :)  Isn't it amazing that the maximum between Santa Monica & Westwood was almost 10 degrees difference in less than 5 miles?

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Sorry Doug [my mistake  :)  Isn't it amazing that the maximum between Santa Monica & Westwood was almost 10 degrees difference in less than 5 miles?

Much like my conversation re: where to live.....that's why I want to stay on THIS side of the hill!! :D

Doug

PS: Yes, it IS amazing....gotta love mother nature's air conditioning!!!

Los Angeles, California

we are now getting the heat again up to 107-110F and mid 20's humidity, my palms are just hanging in there.  This weekend we are supposed to see 95-99F highs and rain possibilities for sat and sun.  Hopefully we can get some of that baja humidity, wet and the heat will pass.  I cranked up my irrigation schedules again to water mid week lightly, deeply once a week from just deeply once a week.  The tips of the palm fronds get a little thin and wrinkled when this happens after a long hot summer.  I may try a "monsoon dance" to bring the humidity (45-50%)back.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

I'm watering 6 days a week, and considered going to 7. My average planting bed is getting 10-12 minutes a day.

My norm' is 1-2 days a week in winter, 3-4 days a week in Spring/Fall, 5-6 days a week in Summer.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Looks like a cold front will pass on Saturday bringing some relief in the form of low 90's, from the triple digit heat we're currently experiencing.

Last night at 11:30PM my thermometer on my deck was registering 87*F.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

Right Now for

Los Angeles, CA

Mostly Sunny

72°F

Feels Like

72°F

Updated Aug 23 03:00 p.m. PT

UV Index: 5 Moderate

Wind: From WSW at 9 mph

Humidity: 68%

Pressure: 29.77 in.

Dew Point: 61°F

Visibility: 9.0 miles

Ahhhhh....  :cool:

Doug

I believe that my lovely bride and I will be enjoying a rather charming glass of wine on the veranda this evening... :cool:  :cool:

:laugh:

Los Angeles, California

Nice cool down today.  Coastal clouds moved well inland this morning allowing Pacific air to lower temps into the 80's.  Appears this weather will be somewhat short-lived w/ higher temps/humidity starting Saturday.  Hoping for rain from what's left of Hurricane Deane  :D

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

No cool down here in NC yet.  Add dew points in the 70's and crank up the temps in the high 90s and 100's, and it is a steam bath here.   I love the humidity, though.

187524378-L.jpg

C from NC

:)

Bone dry summers, wet winters, 2-3 days ea. winter in low teens.

Siler City, NC

Right Now for

Los Angeles, CA

Clear

72°F

Feels Like

72°F

Updated Aug 24 06:30 p.m. PT

Watch the Los Angeles Forecast

UV Index: 0 Low

Wind: From SSW at 9 mph

Humidity: 65%

Pressure: 29.77 in.

Dew Point: 59°F

Visibility: 9.0 miles

Ahhhhh.... :)

Los Angeles, California

Appears this weather will be somewhat short-lived w/ higher temps/humidity starting Saturday.

I hope so..I will be on the coast this weekend.

Doug

Los Angeles, California

(NCpalmqueen @ Aug. 24 2007,21:22)

No cool down here in NC yet.  Add dew points in the 70's and crank up the temps in the high 90s and 100's, and it is a steam bath here.   I love the humidity, though.

187524378-L.jpg

Cindy

Thanks for the graph of temps  :D  When you write "I love the humidity", do you mean being outside working in the garden or enjoying what high humidity does for the garden?

I was in Charlotte for several days during July a few years ago.  It was during a heat wave like you are experiencing now.  Was so impressed by the sheer size of the trees & the lush growth but could only enjoy the beauty at night.  [really liked Charlotte BTW  :P

Your summer conditions occur on occasion in SoCal [most cite last summer as an example].  But the combination of heat & humidity chase me indoors unless I garden early in the morning or after sunset.

One of the members of this site spoke of the tremendous growth of vegetation from late March into autumn in the South.  Often wish we had more moisture in California since tropicals grow much slower here but then I can turn off the AC at sunset & open all the windows at night for good sleeping [listen to the crickets & the howling of coyotoes & feel content  :P

Can't have both!  :(

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

happ

I love the humidity no matter what I'm doing.  I feel better being in the humidity.  As soon as the humidity disappears in the Fall and Winter, I am COLD...and I don't warm up until Spring.  We are in a severe drought this summer, so all plants except the palms are showing stress.  Extreme dry conditions coupled with temps in the 100's and dew points in the 70's makes for interesting gardening.   In other words, this is the time of year I just kick back and enjoy the gardens since I can't do much of anything else outside.    On the plus side, my 'marginal' palms, esp. my Bizmarkia which has gone bezerk & is pushing out 4 fans this month, are all growing crazy.    My mule palm is kickin' some booty, too.   Fun to watch.  

Glad you enjoyed your visit to NC even if it was in the A/C.  :D

C from NC

:)

Bone dry summers, wet winters, 2-3 days ea. winter in low teens.

Siler City, NC

Things never change much around here.  Today was a rather cool day for our summer and there was a little rain.  I enjoy the humidity.  As you can see today was a bit dry humidity wise.  

Situation as of 6 PM Manaus time.

Current Weather Conditions

Eduardo Gomes International, Brazil

(SBEG) 03-02S 060-03W

Conditions at

2007.08.26 2200 UTC

Wind from the ESE (110 degrees) at 2 MPH (2 KT)

Visibility greater than 7 mile(s)

Sky conditions partly cloudy

Weather Towering cumulus clouds observed

Temperature 82 F (28 C)

Dew Point 66 F (19 C)

Relative Humidity 58%

Pressure (altimeter) 29.80 in. Hg (1009 hPa)

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Back to the heat again! Mid 90's predicted for the next couple of days.

Phoenix is going to shatter their all-time record for 110+ days...

Doug

Los Angeles, California

Doug.....

clear.gif

Humidity is 46%

Today is going to be 99 - one might as well say 100 or higher since they always under report the true temp.

But tomorrow - 106. I'm feelin' the heat! :o

And that sun is strong.

hotsun.jpg

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

(LA PALM BOY @ Aug. 28 2007,12:57)

Back to the heat again! Mid 90's predicted for the next couple of days.

Phoenix is going to shatter their all-time record for 110+ days...

Doug

Yeah we have 110-111F predictions over the next 4 days.  My sprinkler is ready to prevent damage after the sun goes down.  Usually we are cooling down by late august, not so this year.  After losing my ficus canopy(6, 15-22' trees) in last winters freeze, I have had a difficult time keeping up with the sunbake caused by the hotter than usual temps and the loss of direct sun mitigating canopy.  My heartiest palms in the heat are braheas, chamaerops, and bismarckias.  My queens are also in good shape, but I plant them in groups of 3 to protect each other and they get extra water.  I have found also -for the desert dwellers- that my brahea armata planted to the west of my sabal bermudana has done a very nice job of heat shielding.  The bermudana is in very good shape in spite of the heat/sun.  In the desert, the toughest palms should be planted to the west(hottest sun of the day)of the other palms.

Tom Blank

today will be our 29th day at 110F or more this year.  It is a record for phoenix and it is just about to happen at 1pm it is 107F and rising.  Our hottest part of the day occurs between 4 and 5 pm due to the passive solar concrete heating effect.  I will water overnight again, synthetic rain to save my palms from burn.  The water bill will be over $120 this month I expect.  "Hotter than blazes" is appropriate for this weather.  Even my braheas are showing a little curling of the tips of the lower fronds.  Normally the latest 110F degree day is august 9th.  This year we have had at least 7-8 since then and 2-3 more are forecasted for this week alone.  We will break the record today, but probably just smash it for the year.  I wish we could send some of our heat to australia where they are in a record cold winter.  NOTHING seems "global" about what is happening in the world this year, weatherwise.

Tom Blank

Blasted hot and sticky here this afternoon.  Although it has been warmer on a few other days this summer, earlier this afternoon the combination of temperature (96F) and dewpoint (80F), gave a 117F heat index here in my yard in Tarpon Springs.

Larry