IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Southern Hemisphere Growing Season 21/22

Tyrone

1 hour ago, cbmnz said:

Another -0.1C with no issues, some cloud did come through overnight. Looks like tonight might be the worst for cooling but at least it's decently mild today which will help. The Alexandre the most sensitive thing have in ground looks great compared to this time last year. One more night to pull through then it can have another 9-10 months to grow.

20220813_115255.jpg

That’s good. We haven’t had anything near zero for around 5 weeks. 

I went outside last night and it wasn’t cold yet the sky was virtually clear. I think we’ve turned a corner here too. My Alexander’s weren’t protected though from early July’s frost and don’t look as nice as yours. They’ll be ok though. 

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

13c here with patchy drizzle showers at the moment. Could be a foggy night ..The hedyscepe and Nikau seem to thrive and look their best in this kind of weather.

101_0051a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

-1.3C, will happily  take that if that's coldest for rest of year. Alexandrae looked good, no discoloration..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, cbmnz said:

-1.3C, will happily  take that if that's coldest for rest of year. Alexandrae looked good, no discoloration..

Spring is just over two weeks away. I know here that by the second week of September we are in the all clear zone for frost. I can’t wait. 

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a nasty stuck atmospheric river system through last week. No damage where I am despite being under a warning. Horrible  damage to parts of the Nelson region in South Island though. Smashed the local record for overnight min in August by 2.6C

7 hours ago, cbmnz said:

Had a nasty stuck atmospheric river system through last week. No damage where I am despite being under a warning. Horrible  damage to parts of the Nelson region in South Island though. Smashed the local record for overnight min in August by 2.6C

What did it get down too? Sounds terrible. 

54 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

What did it get down too? Sounds terrible. 

Oh, that was ambiguous that I didn't mean the lowest record🙂, this was a tropical system, producing all the rain, been so much in the news here forgot others wouldn't have that context.

Low was 16.2 9am to 9am, old record for August was 13.8. 

It would be almost impossible to break lowest record now, temperatures that occured up until the 1970's just have not happened since and it's not like South Teaxs etc where the perfect cold incursion may only occur every few decades.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, cbmnz said:

Oh, that was ambiguous that I didn't mean the lowest record🙂, this was a tropical system, producing all the rain, been so much in the news here forgot others wouldn't have that context.

Low was 16.2 9am to 9am, old record for August was 13.8. 

Ahh right. Now I know what you mean. The tropical system gave you the highest aug min on record. But it likely dropped a ton of rain which would have wreaked havoc. 

We got a similar minimum just over a week ago and it was due to moisture out of the tropics but it didn’t produce damaging rain for us. All my Rhopalostylis started cracking open spears though after that high minimum. 

I’ve been watching the forecast rain over the Indian Ocean especially in the tropical part and that is forecast to fire up with plenty of activity in the next ten days. The Indian Ocean dipole is in negative phase and with the third La Niña in a row destined to start up, I’m predicting a very early tropical monsoon season. It could get wet very quickly again which SE Australia really doesn’t need, and it may come across the Tasman too. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1