IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Need SoCal palm suggestion for upper wall planting

Christopher Dillman

18 minutes ago, Christopher Dillman said:

Wow, how many years old?

Naive question - is there a way to grow a Jube wider and not taller? That is keep the trunk say 3 to 4 feet high and have those fronds burst outward. I've seen some Jubes this way, but maybe I was looking at younger ones.

Far as I know, the answer to your question is no.

They're big, though the one pictured is decades old.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

D. Lutescen will get big.  Mine is over 20 ft tall.  I had to chop a few trunks to control the size.  Each trunk was over 100lbs.  Plus it will get attack by bugs like sooty mold and scales every year.  I would plant D. Baronii in that spot.  It's a much prettier palm and the size do not get out of control and few bugs too

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BigFrond said:

D. Lutescen will get big.  Mine is over 20 ft tall.  I had to chop a few trunks to control the size.  Each trunk was over 100lbs.  Plus it will get attack by bugs like sooty mold and scales every year.  I would plant D. Baronii in that spot.  It's a much prettier palm and the size do not get out of control and few bugs too

Nice, I like the Baronii. How does the Baronii hold up in full day sun? I had the Lutescens in mind for that spot since it will get nailed with full sun morning to eve and needs to grow to get bushy.

D. lutescens in 2013.  It is 3 or 4 times as tall.  Sooty molds and scales every spring.  Lots of icky goo from the insects.  Not a petite palm

20130831_080825.jpg

Not sure if it’s been mentioned on this thread, but Dypsis Lafazamanga might be a good option for you. I’ve heard several reports of it growing well for people in So Cal. In my opinion it’s like a prettier Dypsis Lutescens that doesn’t sucker or split nearly as much, so easy to keep clean and nice looking. 

Here’s mine that split 3 times into 6 total trunks. And is now seeding at a nice size. 

4BFE9837-5247-4283-99CD-82828398106A.thumb.jpeg.9668ae926540a6cd523d53bbf8ef1a2a.jpeg

F1688B3F-15C2-432A-AC85-87F52BCBEBCB.thumb.jpeg.033956c73362994a09e9af1435448a20.jpeg

I also think that Dypsis Baronii is a good idea or possibly Dypsis Heteromorpha. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Hilo Jason said:

I also think that Dypsis Baronii is a good idea or possibly Dypsis Heteromorpha. 

I like Jason's suggestions.  Doing well in full sun exposure in Encinitas can vary depending on how close to the coast you are... the closer you are, the more likely you can get away with some species that will want a little more shade further inland.  Of the clumping Dypsis, my preference would be for either D heteromporpha or D onilahensis in full sun.  I'm growing D lutescens, pembana, heteromorpha, onilahensis, crinita and a couple of forms of D lanceolata and in my opinion the one that holds the fewest nice looking leaves is lutescens.  Pembana will get tall and tend to burn in Santa Ana's here and show a little more cold damage in winter if you are near any canyons feeding cold air from further inland during our cold clear winter nights.

None of the clumping Dypsis will give you problems with damaging walls.  Other possibilities depending on your micro-climate would be some of the solitary Dypsis like Dypsis saintelucei or if you want to go bigger, a Dypsis prestoniana since height isn't an issue.  I would also consider Cyphophoenix elegans.  My advice comes from local experience here in Encinitas, as well as growing before that in SW Carlsbad.  Take advantage of the climate and do something a little less common than Dypsis lutescens.  Regarding your D lanceolata, I would plant it where it will get some pm filtered light or shade to allow it to look its best.

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

I forgot about Dypsis ambositrae, which is another full sun mid-size solitary Dypsis (first photo).  One of the Dypsis "Vonitra" types will give you interesting color and clumping like my plant acquired as D crinita, which might actually be D fibrosa (second photo showing 3 colorful leaves emerging at the same time).

20210819-BH3I5221.jpg

20210903-BH3I5428.jpg

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

1 hour ago, Tracy said:

If you don't mind a wide spread, Dypsis prestoniana does well here in Encinitas.

20210829-BH3I5378.jpg

Cut off all that yellow crap so's we can see the palm!

10 hours ago, Tracy said:

If you don't mind a wide spread, Dypsis prestoniana does well here in Encinitas.

20210829-BH3I5378.jpg

Oh, I'm liking this one. So unique. Maybe a 10 or 15gal at Rancho Soledad?

I'm actually just E of the 5, closer to Batiquitos Lagoon. 

Wish Jungle Music would carry these, much closer nursery for me.

Edited by Christopher Dillman

On 9/10/2021 at 7:25 PM, Dusty CBAD said:

Start researching and dorking out with it, you’ll be amazed at how many rabbit holes you go down.

Welcome to the "Big Boy Dypsis" rabbit hole!

- Sounds like the first rabbit hole you explored was the "Clumping Dypsis" one, and discovered Dypsis Lutescens, Lanceolata, Pembana, Lafamazanga, Baronii, etc. etc. Happily you were able to "cheat" and get a large Lanceolata from RS (nice score!). Personally, I love Lanceolata for the perfect-looking foliage, Lafamazanga for the color (at least at young age), Lutescens for its screening ability and pretty orange hue, Pembana for its height (potentially... mine are still small), and in the Baronii group I'm in love with the "black stem" type. Lots of cool options to explore in this "rabbit hole"!

- The rabbit hole you now fell into is what I call the "Big Boy Dypsis" grouping. Open Google images and type the following "Dypsis prestoniana", "Dypsis carlsmithii", Dypsis big curly", "Dypsis ocws", "Dypsis robusta" & "Dypsis mealybug". Are you (like me) completely entranced? Great! Now your job is to figure out which one you want and (even harder) whether it's possible to get a decent size one.  I went down this hole for a while but found myself pretty confused, and was only able to find little tiny versions... and I heard they grow slow. So I've left this rabbit hole for now. I haven't seen one at RS in my many visits (though it's been a couple months since I"ve been there). My resolution in the "Big Boy Dypsis" quest was to just get a "Dypsis Tri-bear" (which is really hard to find, but I was able to score one). I'd still like another "Big Boy" at some point though.

Here's a thread on some of the "Big Boy Dypsis" options if you want to do more research...

• Like 1

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer