IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Washingtonia Filibusta/Filifera? Fayetteville north caroline

ZPalms

I'm glad they didn't take out those palms . Hopefully the new owners will appreciate them . 

My seedlings are doing great .

Will

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

New photos!!!! 🥳

I went yesterday to check if it was putting out another round of seed and it was. When are washie seeds ready for harvesting? I want to go out there and try and get the whole seed stock down for the whole fresh batch so I can share them around with anyone who wants some on here! That's a big maybe though because I don't know if I have a pole saw long enough to reach it 😂

I did walk around the lot and lots of volunteers didn't make it or I couldn't see from the grass growing, but theres always hundreds sprouting under the tree just never getting past the strap leaf stage, but there were a few that were still growing and still alive. I'm sure they would do better if they had access to water, but I was thinking of digging them up and getting them potted, I would just leave them alone, but the chances are that the lot does get sold, and those washies will be demoed along with all the other plants.

IMG-4169.thumb.jpg.279219eabcdd23ab27756057da01331b.jpg

IMG-4167.thumb.jpg.c3a302b06d245d2f7a5be6c50b0d96d0.jpg

IMG-4165.thumb.jpg.a1a72acf9a6d7aee6f9927d78a005fa3.jpg

IMG-4171.thumb.jpg.1e3cc3a4abc17f3a8b987ecccab4a2b8.jpg

IMG-4168.thumb.jpg.4a67f1e2aab5c6cfd730daa32424e0bc.jpg

IMG-4172.thumb.jpg.a7a452e3d6f3ef7537a47d603fb41224.jpg

IMG-4173.thumb.jpg.227191e530da8e7d3f736314f277fd37.jpg

IMG-4175.thumb.jpg.4466c199dc0e6a8c304c8f8cf2b438ca.jpg

IMG-4174.thumb.jpg.187a6015592b7b76bdcd9524f655f603.jpg

IMG-4177.thumb.jpg.3866eb9cbd48445a363ff9601937f0d6.jpg

Edited by ZPalms
  • Like 8

Lookin' good! How are the Sabal palms doing? If I recall correctly, there was a Pindo as well and a Cycad too?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ZPalms said:

New photos!!!! 🥳

I went yesterday to check if it was putting out another round of seed and it was. When are washie seeds ready for harvesting? I want to go out there and try and get the whole seed stock down for the whole fresh batch so I can share them around with anyone who wants some on here! That's a big maybe though because I don't know if I have a pole saw long enough to reach it 😂

I did walk around the lot and lots of volunteers didn't make it or I couldn't see from the grass growing, but theres always hundreds sprouting under the tree just never getting past the strap leaf stage, but there were a few that were still growing and still alive. I'm sure they would do better if they had access to water, but I was thinking of digging them up and getting them potted, I would just leave them alone, but the chances are that the lot does get sold, and those washies will be demoed along with all the other plants.

Don't waste your time trying to get a saw. Those seeds are two stories in the air. I tried the same thing. But there are thousands of seeds on the ground around the trunk. And so far, those have all sprouted very easily for me. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ZPalms said:

New photos!!!! 🥳

Did you get any seeds?

• Like 1

An Autistic 18 year old who has an obsession with Palms!

8 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

Lookin' good! How are the Sabal palms doing? If I recall correctly, there was a Pindo as well and a Cycad too?

One sabal is looking rough so I’ll probably bring some fertilizer to help it, I do have 2 videos I’m gonna upload with all of them but everything looks good overall :greenthumb:

7 hours ago, knikfar said:

Don't waste your time trying to get a saw. Those seeds are two stories in the air. I tried the same thing. But there are thousands of seeds on the ground around the trunk. And so far, those have all sprouted very easily for me. 

I’m gonna bring a very tall ladder so I should be able to reach them, I just need to know if they are ready to get yet or should I wait for them to turn black?

3 hours ago, EJ NJ said:

Did you get any seeds?

I’m planning on getting some when I go back, I wanna collect the fresh seeds so I don’t have any bad palm seed weevils issues :)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ZPalms said:

... I just need to know if they are ready to get yet or should I wait for them to turn black?

Personally, I'd wait for the seeds to ripen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

Personally, I'd wait for the seeds to ripen.

Idk when that is, I’m assuming that’s when they turn black?

2 hours ago, ZPalms said:

Idk when that is, I’m assuming that’s when they turn black?

Yup. This fall sometime I'd wager.

• Like 1

When you do cut down the seed I would think an eight foot step ladder with a pole saw extended fully might do the trick . That sucker is pretty tall . 

My three seedlings are doing great . I can't wait to plant one out next spring .

Will

Edited by Will Simpson
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Will Simpson said:

When you do cut down the seed I would think an eight foot step ladder with a pole saw extended fully might do the trick . That sucker is pretty tall . 

My three seedlings are doing great . I can't wait to plant one out next spring .

Will

I'm excited to see how it will do for you, I hope it really does have qualities that make it perfect for north carolina :D

• Like 1

On 6/6/2022 at 4:37 PM, Nomad NYC said:

I've been so successful in germinating these hardy Filibustas, I have so many of these seedlings, now, I have to currently use the "Red Cup" option used by James Palms...

Kw1OpO.jpg

I've also lost a dozen since moving them to the cups ( most likely due to transplant shock ) but so far, they look to be doing good.

Three month update - my palms are now past the leaf strap stage, growing super fast - and without any fertilizer!

0Y1PQ9.jpg

Out of the original 190 seeds that I received,  about 87 spouted  - but I currently have 60 of the Filibustas palmlings now.

Looks like It's almost time for me to get more bigger pots for them....

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nomad NYC said:

Three month update - my palms are now past the leaf strap stage, growing super fast - and without any fertilizer!

0Y1PQ9.jpg

Out of the original 190 seeds that I received,  about 87 spouted  - but I currently have 60 of the Filibustas palmlings now.

Looks like It's almost time for me to get more bigger pots for them....

Amazing!!!! Awesome so many sprouted and they look great but very crazy you have so many palms to repot :floor:

The chamaerops you sent me are also doing very well, They all started pushing actual good growth last month after being still for a while 😍

• Like 2

By comparison, mine are much more stout. They're in full sun all day long and do get quite dry from time to time. 

I have quite a few so I'll have to decide what to keep, and what to part with.

20220909_131344.jpg

20220909_131412.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ZPalms said:

Amazing!!!! Awesome so many sprouted and they look great but very crazy you have so many palms to repot :floor:

Yes,  I'm beyond very happy -  this was an personal  success for me - for years I've always tried to germinate  Washintonia seeds -  but for some strange mysterious reason they would never sprout for me in the past. It didn't matter whether that I had collected them off the street whenever in  Florida and California, or from online sources.

I'm definitely going to have to get alot of bigger pots for these palms seedlings soon - the smaller red cups are restricting their natural growth,  " Bonsai" - ing them. They  definitely would be much bigger in larger containers by now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ZPalms said:

The chamaerops you sent me are also doing very well, They all started pushing actual good growth last month after being still for a while 😍

That's great! Good to hear that they are doing well!  Sounds like they are starting to finally establish themselves, so  they should be ok  now.  I believe that I sent you three var. humilis ( green type ) and three var. cerifera ( bluish type ).

I have found that the green type is a much more vigorous grower, but the blue type is more cold hardier .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nomad NYC said:

Yes,  I'm beyond very happy -  this was an personal  success for me - for years I've always tried to germinate  Washintonia seeds -  but for some strange mysterious reason they would never sprout for me in the past. It didn't matter whether that I had collected them off the street whenever in  Florida and California, or from online sources.

I'm definitely going to have to get alot of bigger pots for these palms seedlings soon - the smaller red cups are restricting their natural growth,  " Bonsai" - ing them. They  definitely would be much bigger in larger containers by now.

I struggle with all types of seeds because I lack a good seed starting set up :floor:

It's actually insane how fast they beef up when you move them to bigger pots, my washies were pencil thin when I moved them into their big pots with slim leaves and now their trunks are thick and they have adult fronds now and will be going into the ground next spring 😍 I can't even imagine how big they will be after a full growing season with unlimited ground to spread out in

2 hours ago, Nomad NYC said:

That's great! Good to hear that they are doing well!  Sounds like they are starting to finally establish themselves, so  they should be ok  now.  I believe that I sent you three var. humilis ( green type ) and three var. cerifera ( bluish type ).

I have found that the green type is a much more vigorous grower, but the blue type is more cold hardier .

I'll have to go outside and look at the names again then I'll be able to tell which one is growing faster, I know one of them has it's first split leaves and tiny thorns I think so that's really neat 😍

• Like 1

I’m going today to dig up the washie, should I wash the roots of the old clay or should I chuck it into the pot with new soil and undisturb the roots?

5 hours ago, ZPalms said:

I’m going today to dig up the washie, should I wash the roots of the old clay or should I chuck it into the pot with new soil and undisturb the roots?

For transplanting ,  washies seedlings are tough , compared to most palms, but I find that it's best to not to disturb the roots as much as possible.

• Like 1

Of course the time I go to the lot they done randomly decided to chop everything 🙄

I still managed to dig it up because I believe it will come back if give it a chance since it still has a green bit coming up, this really explains why the ones that volunteer don’t make it very far because the lot keeps getting wacked

I also got another one that I think has more filifera genes because the trunk contains more brown in the coloring than purple which I haven’t taken a photo of but I’ll take photos of the buckets when I get a chance when it’s light out

heres the before and after 😭

093922A0-8041-4EB7-9778-F050DD10D351.thumb.jpeg.a31e20504b0136417d2d33f8352ae228.jpeg

36C54785-D54E-47D4-B4FF-66AAAF0FBC03.thumb.jpeg.4bac9c7b5e8849e746b831f17c155bba.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/18/2022 at 12:02 AM, ZPalms said:

Of course the time I go to the lot they done randomly decided to chop everything 🙄

I still managed to dig it up because I believe it will come back if give it a chance since it still has a green bit coming up, this really explains why the ones that volunteer don’t make it very far because the lot keeps getting wacked

I also got another one that I think has more filifera genes because the trunk contains more brown in the coloring than purple which I haven’t taken a photo of but I’ll take photos of the buckets when I get a chance when it’s light out

heres the before and after 😭

093922A0-8041-4EB7-9778-F050DD10D351.thumb.jpeg.a31e20504b0136417d2d33f8352ae228.jpeg

36C54785-D54E-47D4-B4FF-66AAAF0FBC03.thumb.jpeg.4bac9c7b5e8849e746b831f17c155bba.jpeg

I have a small update on the washie that was mowed down that I dug up to try and save from the lot, It's still alive, I believe, and it looks like it made a tiny bit of progress with leaf growth, but nothing crazy. It's good to see it's doing something.

I also saved another one since I wanted to have 2 pairs that were grown up already, but also because it was one of the bigger ones that managed to survive being cut and survive the cold, so they both deserve a shot to be able to grow without being set back by lot maintenance.

IMG_5456.jpg

IMG_5457.jpg

• Like 8

Do you have any interest in selling any of the seedlings from that palm?  I had observed it over the years when I lived in that area, pretty cool tree and definitely a zone pusher.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Yeehova said:

Do you have any interest in selling any of the seedlings from that palm?  I had observed it over the years when I lived in that area, pretty cool tree and definitely a zone pusher.

Seedlings? Or seeds? I should be collecting seeds soon from the tree soon

Edited by ZPalms
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ZPalms said:

I would be interested in some seeds when you go back to collect them.

Thanks.

10-16-2022

• Like 1

Emerald Isle, NC

USDA Zone 8B - Humid Subtropical (CFA)

Can't keep 'em all or give them away either. The remainder are headed for the city composting facility on collection day 

20221016_142027.jpg

2 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

Can't keep 'em all or give them away either. The remainder are headed for the city composting facility on collection day 

20221016_142027.jpg

This is so sad 😭😭😭😭 you should gorilla garden these and let nature take care of them and see what happens just go somewhere random or a wood line and see what happens just pop them into the ground

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

This is so sad 😭😭😭😭 you should gorilla garden these and let nature take care of them and see what happens just go somewhere random or a wood line and see what happens just pop them into the ground

I was in same boat last year and I found a creek near my apartment complex and planted like 30 three leaf seedlings on banks of it because i couldn’t hear to kill them

• Like 4

On 10/16/2022 at 3:56 AM, ZPalms said:

Either or both!  I know I will get up to Fayetteville sometime, just not sure when.  I need to visit Brooklyn's in Spring Lake again.

• Like 1

Is this the only Washingtonia in Fayetteville? 

• Like 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Fayetteville is pretty far inland from the coast and so people do not expect palms to grow there so they do not offer or plant them there.  Many palms could grow there but people that are not into palms do not know that. Coastal N.C. is where you find lots of cold hardy palms and so you find more diversity there. Having said that, there are many palms growing well into the far piedmont of N.C. well past Fayettville. But do not expect a "palmy place" there. It's just that those who are into them know how to grow and place them.  And yes I am surprised to find palms on my travels inland more than you would think for this far north.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jeff zone 8 N.C. said:

Fayetteville is pretty far inland from the coast and so people do not expect palms to grow there so they do not offer or plant them there.  Many palms could grow there but people that are not into palms do not know that. Coastal N.C. is where you find lots of cold hardy palms and so you find more diversity there. Having said that, there are many palms growing well into the far piedmont of N.C. well past Fayettville. But do not expect a "palmy place" there. It's just that those who are into them know how to grow and place them.  And yes I am surprised to find palms on my travels inland more than you would think for this far north.

Jeff, you described it so perfectly. I live in Raleigh and tell people we have palm trees, that it certainly isn't like Florida, California or even coastal NC. But you'll just be driving around and all of a sudden see a 20' tall palm in someone's yard. Here in Raleigh, those are always trachies or some variety of sabal. I'm "pushing" a butia here in my yard. I've placed it in my best microclimate and plan on protecting it every few winters. So I can't say butias or anything more tender are hardy here. But in Fayetteville, they are. 

• Like 3

On 10/17/2022 at 8:58 PM, Collectorpalms said:

Is this the only Washingtonia in Fayetteville? 

As far as I can tell, it's the only and biggest one here. Box stores and palm nurseries don't offer them.

On 10/18/2022 at 9:29 AM, knikfar said:

Jeff, you described it so perfectly. I live in Raleigh and tell people we have palm trees, that it certainly isn't like Florida, California or even coastal NC. But you'll just be driving around and all of a sudden see a 20' tall palm in someone's yard. Here in Raleigh, those are always trachies or some variety of sabal. I'm "pushing" a butia here in my yard. I've placed it in my best microclimate and plan on protecting it every few winters. So I can't say butias or anything more tender are hardy here. But in Fayetteville, they are. 

I have visited and seen as well as seen posts ,over the years, of some great looking, large Butias, in Raleigh, Sabal palmetto in Winston Salem, as well as other sabals well inland. They are best well placed there with some northern protection and southern exposure but given that, they do very well. There are many public gardens in Raleigh with large specimens of Sabal and of course windmill palms. A palm enthusiast could easily expand the number of palms that could be grown. I do not remember the palms in J.C Raulston gardens but that garden always amazes me with their subtropical look of bananas, gingers, cannas, crinums, and other tropical look plants,  they grow without any extra protection, just good growing practices.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Jeff zone 8 N.C. said:

I have visited and seen as well as seen posts ,over the years, of some great looking, large Butias, in Raleigh, Sabal palmetto in Winston Salem, as well as other sabals well inland. They are best well placed there with some northern protection and southern exposure but given that, they do very well. There are many public gardens in Raleigh with large specimens of Sabal and of course windmill palms. A palm enthusiast could easily expand the number of palms that could be grown. I do not remember the palms in J.C Raulston gardens but that garden always amazes me with their subtropical look of bananas, gingers, cannas, crinums, and other tropical look plants,  they grow without any extra protection, just good growing practices.

Funny thing you mention JC Raulston Arboretum. I had a work meeting close by so I stopped by and spent an hour walking the grounds. Also purchased a pomegranate plant and a sweetbox off of their plant cart. I've visited many times and plan to visit many more. Oh, and today I saw they have a new palm, picture is below. Looks like a jubaea x butia to me. I planted one in my yard earlier this spring. I'm hoping it'll be hardier than a typical butia. 

Jubaea x Butia.jpg

On 10/20/2022 at 3:59 PM, knikfar said:

Funny thing you mention JC Raulston Arboretum. I had a work meeting close by so I stopped by and spent an hour walking the grounds. Also purchased a pomegranate plant and a sweetbox off of their plant cart. I've visited many times and plan to visit many more. Oh, and today I saw they have a new palm, picture is below. Looks like a jubaea x butia to me. I planted one in my yard earlier this spring. I'm hoping it'll be hardier than a typical butia. 

Jubaea x Butia.jpg

Oh yea, I go by most every time I'm in Raleigh. I usually at least go in early spring to Big Bloomers Nursery, in Sanford, N.C., then to J.C. Raulston and if it's an open nursery day I also try to stop by Plant Delights.  J.C. R. is always better though later in the summer.

A little hard to ID in the pic but now that you have said, it that does look like a J X B.

• Like 1

I'm still tripping on how hardy that Washy is . I will give one of mine a try  in mt yard  and plant it next  spring . The other 2 I will give away to someplace with an incredible microclimate . Maybe on a southern exposure near   a taller building downtown or somewhere  , with permission . 

Nice and hairy ; my Fayetteville , NC Washy !

52440093435_21dd67564a_b.jpg

• Like 4

On 10/21/2022 at 9:57 PM, Will Simpson said:

I'm still tripping on how hardy that Washy is . I will give one of mine a try  in mt yard  and plant it next  spring . The other 2 I will give away to someplace with an incredible microclimate . Maybe on a southern exposure near   a taller building downtown or somewhere  , with permission . 

Nice and hairy ; my Fayetteville , NC Washy !

52440093435_21dd67564a_b.jpg

Is that one you purchased from me? 

On 9/9/2022 at 10:16 PM, ZPalms said:

I struggle with all types of seeds because I lack a good seed starting set up :floor:

It's actually insane how fast they beef up when you move them to bigger pots, my washies were pencil thin when I moved them into their big pots with slim leaves and now their trunks are thick and they have adult fronds now and will be going into the ground next spring 😍 I can't even imagine how big they will be after a full growing season with unlimited ground to spread out in

I'll have to go outside and look at the names again then I'll be able to tell which one is growing faster, I know one of them has it's first split leaves and tiny thorns I think so that's really neat 😍

I have a big oak with mulch around it. Mid summer I toss seeds into the mulch and cover them about 2 inches. Then I water 2 or 3 times a week. 6 weeks later, Trachycarpus, S.minor and avocado seeds have germinated.

• Like 1