IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

We are Nerds

ColumbusPalm

I enjoy every topic on this forum and find cold hardy palms so fascinating. Sitting here tonight I realize so few people in the world have this interest, yet we are all in the same forum. That’s pretty cool. We are nerds and I’m grateful for that! 

• Like 13
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

I'm having a beer checking up on things in my garden right now :shaka-2:

That’s the life!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Swolte said:

* Puts on headlights and starts taking night time pictures of his palms* 

Lol yo absolutely, I wasn't bullshittin :D

Edited by DAVEinMB
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

Dave is the cool kid in the back of the bus.. haha..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

18 hours ago, Swolte said:

* Puts on headlights and starts taking night time pictures of his palms* 

Lol... palms never get old huh.. why oh why do I stop in my tracks everytime I see one?  

It's sick, really..

• Like 3

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

32 minutes ago, SailorBold said:

Dave is the cool kid in the back of the bus.. haha..

Cool in my own mind lol

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, ColumbusPalm said:

I enjoy every topic on this forum and find cold hardy palms so fascinating. Sitting here tonight I realize so few people in the world have this interest, yet we are all in the same forum. That’s pretty cool. We are nerds and I’m grateful for that! 

Hear, hear. It's well known writers and musicians are loopy - I think palm lovers are too. In a good way, of course.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

20 hours ago, ColumbusPalm said:

YES YES YES YES YES !!!!!!  I love this.   So true

• Like 3

22 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

I just got over covid again so mine is looking neglected and sad. They're all letting me know they didn't get watered for 3 weeks. :mellow: Even the Washy looks sad and droopy. 

Message_1630018298442.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I just got over covid again so mine is looking neglected and sad. They're all letting me know they didn't get watered for 3 weeks. :mellow: Even the Washy looks sad and droopy. 

Message_1630018298442.jpg

I hope you're feeling better brother, cheers *clink*

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Good that you're still here to see they need water! The covid's still hitting pretty hard here, another neighbor died last week.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

As I usually say when a new programmer comes into the IT field, "Welcome to the Nerd Herd!"

@JohnAndSancho Glad you were able to overcome it and hopefully none of the lingering symptoms some seem to have after the initial infection clears up.

@NOT A TA That sucks!  I'm growing weary of attending funerals for this reason.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

2 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

hopefully none of the lingering symptoms some seem to have after the initial infection clears up.

This ^^^^.   I have an immediate neighbor who's been sick well over a year. Can barely walk 15 feet and then has to rest a while. He was one of the early covid cases here. Was in hospital for a month initially,  then home care on oxygen a few months,  ambulance rides back to the hospital several times for stays 3 days-week at a time during the past year.  Looks like he's aged 20 years and they've got him on 11 prescriptions as of a couple days ago when last I spoke with him. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if he doesn't make it to the end of the year.

• Like 1

I apologize for threadjacking - I didn't mean to swing a lighthearted thread into something so depressing. But since I did, this was my 3rd go-round with covid. I still had the fatigue from my 2nd time. It hasn't gone away and I doubt it ever will at this point lol. But I did get out today and water the Patio Squad and clip off all of the brown fronds. Maybe sometime next week I'll get out and make a new video showing how much skinnier and sadder things look. Good vibes for everyone. 

But to switch this back to the palm nerd vibe that was the whole point of the original topic - I do live in a college town, and I overheard a girl walking by saying she liked my palm trees, so I went on a nerd tangent and started telling her where everything originally came from and I think she was 0% impressed. 

• Like 5

19 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

But to switch this back to the palm nerd vibe that was the whole point of the original topic - I do live in a college town, and I overheard a girl walking by saying she liked my palm trees, so I went on a nerd tangent and started telling her where everything originally came from and I think she was 0% impressed. 

Yeah, discussing cladistics, reproductive strategies, soil chemistry, predator evasion, etc doesn't really impress the ladies. Let Sancho do the hard work for you.:D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2