IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Filibusta Growth

ZPalms

On 4/16/2022 at 9:48 AM, DreaminAboutPalms said:

One day’s growth filibusta seedling in Austin tx

BAC5DFEF-0EB0-4715-895A-9404B273D1A6.jpeg

3 inches in a day???? That's real real quick! 

My filibusta have slown down a lot due to lack of space, It's time to graduate them to something bigger :bemused:

10 hours ago, ZPalms said:

3 inches in a day???? That's real real quick! 

My filibusta have slown down a lot due to lack of space, It's time to graduate them to something bigger :bemused:

No about 3/4” only you can see black sharpie mark. They absolutely explode this time of year with temps in 80’s and lots of f sun and water

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DreaminAboutPalms said:

No about 3/4” only you can see black sharpie mark. They absolutely explode this time of year with temps in 80’s and lots of f sun and water

Oh LOL I didnt see the sharpy, I just assumed the whole thing :floor:

I think my washies are a bit acclimated sort of to the sun so Imma push them out in the full sun today for an hour :mrlooney:

• 4 weeks later...

Dollar general had some awesome deep pots and I got some to repot all my washies, It’s been over a year and my washies have outgrown their bags since last October so this repotting is very big since they haven’t really put putting out leaves due to the lack of space and only hold about 3 leaves at a time so they should start pumping those fronds out and fill out, I’m so excited :D

Did I plant this too high? I’m currently repotting these but I don’t know if I should lower this down a tiny bit?

13399A32-D3F0-4DE9-8606-F67310BA3825.jpeg

F3E1A0D6-F318-41F7-8D6F-868EC9E2DB5F.jpeg

I poured all the dirt out and repositioned it but idk if it's any better but whatever it's done, I have a major headache from this repotting :indifferent:

Edited by ZPalms

Do washies correct their positioning over time? I repotted my washie but since it was dark outside I couldnt see it has such a tiny little lean to it, will that correct overtime as it grows? Thinking of dumping the dirt out and redoing it

On 5/19/2022 at 5:29 AM, ZPalms said:

Did I plant this too high? I’m currently repotting these but I don’t know if I should lower this down a tiny bit?

Some of my Washies have their base roots exposed and they're okay with it, I think they're okay with anything unless you give them plenty of room to grow

DSCN8920.thumb.jpg.802124999bfaeae2422aed01a740e904.jpg

DSCN8935.thumb.jpg.b48010bcb84032dae2582166714c3dc5.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MSX said:

Some of my Washies have their base roots exposed and they're okay with it, I think they're okay with anything unless you give them plenty of room to grow

DSCN8920.thumb.jpg.802124999bfaeae2422aed01a740e904.jpg

DSCN8935.thumb.jpg.b48010bcb84032dae2582166714c3dc5.jpg

I ended up putting a little more soil on top to help a little and I re did a couple of them so they fit exactly in the center of the pot and that they seem to be planted how they were in my bags but that’s good to know thanks :D

On 5/19/2022 at 8:30 AM, ZPalms said:

Do washies correct their positioning over time? I repotted my washie but since it was dark outside I couldnt see it has such a tiny little lean to it, will that correct overtime as it grows? Thinking of dumping the dirt out and redoing it

Don't think it will affect the final growth of the palm, it hasn't started trunking yet so nothing is final... I think the pulling out and repotting may be more damaging than the lean, but neither will kill it probably

• Like 1

Just now, spike said:

Don't think it will affect the final growth of the palm, it hasn't started trunking yet so nothing is final... I think the pulling out and repotting may be more damaging than the lean, but neither will kill it probably

I got them in good positions that i'm happy with and they are getting tons of direct heat and a lot of water, so they should be all settled in, but that's good to know for the future, I thought to myself that they should straighten themselves out over time, but I wasn't sure if even the smallest of wrong positioning would affect the trunk growth direction and me being crazy wanting them directly in the center.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

I got them in good positions that i'm happy with and they are getting tons of direct heat and a lot of water, so they should be all settled in, but that's good to know for the future, I thought to myself that they should straighten themselves out over time, but I wasn't sure if even the smallest of wrong positioning would affect the trunk growth direction and me being crazy wanting them directly in the center.

haha i have to get it in the center sometimes too

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, spike said:

haha i have to get it in the center sometimes too

I have a chamerops that I bought that's not in the center of the pot and it has like a big area of dirt on one side and a tiny crevice on the other which is so inconvient with the suckers and the thorns on the leaves and trying to get under the canopy to water it :floor:

6 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

I have a chamerops that I bought that's not in the center of the pot and it has like a big area of dirt on one side and a tiny crevice on the other which is so inconvient with the suckers and the thorns on the leaves and trying to get under the canopy to water it :floor:

i'm someone who likes pouring stuff so I got a long spout watering can, it makes things like that easier 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, spike said:

i'm someone who likes pouring stuff so I got a long spout watering can, it makes things like that easier 

I need to get a new watering can, the spout broke on it but it's a chunky water can :P

Edited by ZPalms

I moved them out the rain last night and as I was moving them back, I dropped one pot and had to repot it all over again, I was so annoyed with myself :indifferent: but on the bright side I got to center it more in the pot

Edited by ZPalms

• 2 weeks later...

If a washie has a lean in it, does it correct itself over time? I planted one of my washies 2 weeks ago in the pots above and I don't really want to dig it out of the pot to adjust its position since the lean is so small but it's kinda annoying me because I want it to be straight as a nail but I don't know if it will fix itself or not. I could dig it out and reposition it but I'm sure the roots have settled in to the new pots and have grown even the slightest into the new soil and I don't want to disturb what it has done in 2 weeks, so I don't know what I want to do.

55 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

If a washie has a lean in it, does it correct itself over time? I planted one of my washies 2 weeks ago in the pots above and I don't really want to dig it out of the pot to adjust its position since the lean is so small but it's kinda annoying me because I want it to be straight as a nail but I don't know if it will fix itself or not. I could dig it out and reposition it but I'm sure the roots have settled in to the new pots and have grown even the slightest into the new soil and I don't want to disturb what it has done in 2 weeks, so I don't know what I want to do.

You can always fix it when you repot it again. I say this but my Majesty is still crooked as hell cuz I let it get waaaaaay too root bound and the new pot wasn't deep enough so I'm just training it with a wild curve lol 

IMG_20220601_174015.jpg

2 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

You can always fix it when you repot it again. I say this but my Majesty is still crooked as hell cuz I let it get waaaaaay too root bound and the new pot wasn't deep enough so I'm just training it with a wild curve lol 

IMG_20220601_174015.jpg

That's the thing though, I don't want it to get older and establish that part of the trunk to be curved, I may end up digging it out tomorrow since it's getting dark now and fixing it because I want them pencil straight when I put them out without having to make more adjustments in the future because planting them in the new pots was suppose to fix the curve they got being in bags but it's so hard to position the root ball directly up eyeing it. I will never use bags again

4 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

That's the thing though, I don't want it to get older and establish that part of the trunk to be curved, I may end up digging it out tomorrow since it's getting dark now and fixing it because I want them pencil straight when I put them out without having to make more adjustments in the future because planting them in the new pots was suppose to fix the curve they got being in bags but it's so hard to position the root ball directly up eyeing it. I will never use bags again

You can still fix it when you repot it. I dig the curve on my Majesty. And one of my Dracaena is hella curvy too. I grew up with the Live Oaks in NW FL so I think it gives them character and personality. But I'm also a dork and give my plants people names :floor:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnAndSancho said:

You can still fix it when you repot it. I dig the curve on my Majesty. And one of my Dracaena is hella curvy too. I grew up with the Live Oaks in NW FL so I think it gives them character and personality. But I'm also a dork and give my plants people names :floor:

The next step after they fill these pots out is the ground so I gotta get them how I want them now before that point :wacko:

Just now, ZPalms said:

The next step after they fill these pots out is the ground so I gotta get them how I want them now before that point :wacko:

Adjust if you're feeling it then. But one thing I've learned is they're going to bend towards their light source whether it's a grow light or the sun. My dracaena has like 4 different bends and I think it's awesome but that's me.  

• Like 1

Just now, JohnAndSancho said:

Adjust if you're feeling it then. But one thing I've learned is they're going to bend towards their light source whether it's a grow light or the sun. My dracaena has like 4 different bends and I think it's awesome but that's me.  

When they were in the grow bags, The bags allowed them to shift and bend however they wanted so it's something I'm gonna have to do for my sanity :mrlooney:

Anyone know how much fertilizer to use in pots like these? I was going to do whatever it said on the back of palmgain for pot size but does that matter to the size of the palm itself? These pots are about 10 or 13inches so I'm not sure how much to use for the tree size or does it matter and the washies would be ok 1 1/2 cup fertilizer?

I usually super duper dilute everything in pots just because there's no natural dilution. I do make exceptions for my Majesty and my queen just because they're so thirsty and I've recently added my washy to this list. 

15 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I usually super duper dilute everything in pots just because there's no natural dilution. I do make exceptions for my Majesty and my queen just because they're so thirsty and I've recently added my washy to this list. 

My soil for my washies stays pretty moist so I might just go ahead and do 1 1/2 cup of palmgain then do it again in 6 weeks, the instructions are so confusing to me so I hope that's enough for them but not too much to harm them

Edited by ZPalms

2 hours ago, ZPalms said:

My soil for my washies stays pretty moist so I might just go ahead and do 1 1/2 cup of palmgain then do it again in 6 weeks, the instructions are so confusing to me so I hope that's enough for them but not too much to harm them

I don't read directions, but I've always under fertilized because it's got nowhere to go in a pot. My 1-3gal pots just get a couple spoonfuls now and then. If someone else chimes in and says I can give them more, I'm here for it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I don't read directions, but I've always under fertilized because it's got nowhere to go in a pot. My 1-3gal pots just get a couple spoonfuls now and then. If someone else chimes in and says I can give them more, I'm here for it. 

Your pots don’t have holes?

1 hour ago, ZPalms said:

Your pots don’t have holes?

Oh they do, but pots are never going to drain as well as the ground. All the fertilizer and salt and crap in the water builds up. It dissipates so much more in the ground. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My first time putting fertilizer in them last week and I'm suprised the light green turned into a deeper green and they are finally starting to push the new growth faster since I transplanted them in their new pots, I'm beyond excited :D

• 3 weeks later...

I don’t know why I took these photos at night but it’s so cool to see where they were and where they all are now including the banana :wub:

64F183A6-844B-4CFF-AE81-F1FE5B9ACA4D.jpeg

415469C2-331D-4F9D-A8EC-7A95931A0FF6.jpeg

81CD94D5-CBEC-49A0-9B8A-F2AFF8714B52.jpeg

Edited by ZPalms
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I noticed 2 of my filibustas had some rot or something happen briefly, It did rain for a couple days so could that be a cause for this? It seems to have grown out though

IMG-4075.thumb.jpg.38f49e7e39eea1532f75fe167c50ead2.jpg

IMG-4074.thumb.jpg.c4d64b328fcfd737ccd4ad9ef2d595ef.jpg

IMG-4073.thumb.jpg.0309c52e889331b3fcf5c197a7017080.jpg

IMG-4072.thumb.jpg.7b23c03d77754497dc02af7a5b604ff1.jpg

Apart from that weird rot issue that seemed to have cleared itself, here’s my washies now and they have completely taken off.

Now that they are this size how much robusta and filifera is visible? I wanna say they are leaning more robusta

54B58000-A74E-425C-910C-B1A257CC2310.jpeg

E4FA3078-CC6B-40BC-A47D-AB58911CB495.jpeg

DEEB42D0-7AE2-4CE7-8718-2F5DAAED2C5D.jpeg

E7D7A80A-C9F7-4E47-956D-231777A012AF.jpeg

E64F7DBF-6DF6-4BEB-9EEF-39E7407D1997.thumb.jpeg.9bc04c12cdee587546fe593fb0599afb.jpeg

Edited by ZPalms

• 5 months later...

New growth pictures from last monday, hand and trunk for comparison, pretty proud to have got them this far to full petioles from seed 😍

IMG-8022.jpg

IMG-8025.jpg

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

All of them have hit the ground over the summer and mostly settled in, I'm excited for next summer when they start creeping up speed and getting bigger!

The first photo is my biggest washie as it was the 2nd one to go in the ground but it was the first to go in the ground in the spring, The second photo was the first washie to go in the ground but in winter but it was always slower than the rest and stayed in the nursery bag the longest but I planted it out in feburary and didn't actually start picking up speed until the end of july, I think it finally gained the strength to catch up with the others, I'm very happy to see it doing great.

I do intend on protecting them this winter and hope it's smooth sailing 🤠

IMG-2995.thumb.jpg.ca520e39b87ff16f6f1bd9c93dca39bf.jpg

IMG-2994.thumb.jpg.f3b7924a05548fe1c8ce39e3fb6c7c62.jpg

IMG-2992.thumb.jpg.8607b4a60440d6720ffd2802836ce3de.jpg

IMG-2997.thumb.jpg.62bc897cff84cad7a4a9f57202fc906b.jpg

IMG-2998.thumb.jpg.7f0e002a28653a33123af86bd255a00f.jpg

IMG-2999.thumb.jpg.c80060238d2474c7490bd99d6ab6f945.jpg

Edited by ZPalms
  • Like 2