IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Jubaeopsis is flowering

Patrick

My Jubaeopsis is throwing up a spike! First one ever for me. I thought I would share. I bought this as a 5 gallon in 2007 from Phil in Encinitas. Upsized it o a 7 gallon, then finally planted it in 2010 I think? Just a guess on when I actually planted it. The memory is a bit hazy as beer kept the front yard renovation progressing steadily through whatever year it was...

This palm is in my front yard, facing to the south next to my driveway and close to the house. When I first planted it, the first few years were tough because earwigs would go up in the crown and overwinter and eat all the new growth in the spring. I had to buy a systematic (Merit 2F) to eliminate the pests. The second trunk showed up in about 2014 and the same pest problem manifested and the same treatment solved the problem. I think I'm through winters 2 or 3- maybe more where the bugs have not come back, thank goodness. The Cassia trunk you see to the right is providing shade these days, though the Cassia was said to stay small (don't they always say that?). Everything seems pretty happy with the part sun/ shade since it's a steady, high 90's dry heat through the summer.

Enjoy! Please feel free to spoil the ending of the movie for me by telling me what to expect. Thank you.20210810_162845.jpg.0ef79628e369bcde9dc542b4bf43525d.jpg

Brick for scale

20210810_162916.jpg.f6bf05add7f174748ef5bd17f2214de7.jpg

The soon-to-be flower, reverse angle from the last 2 images

20210810_162944.jpg.66c36b750153847fee18183e5cb7ec48.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

Wow, my two have been in the ground for over 15 years, and are bigger than yours and no sign of an inflorescence.

JubaeopsisCaffra-20201024_093210.jpg

• Like 2

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

Patrick, Are you sure it’s an inflorescence and not just the palm splitting into another stem. It’s seems way too young to be flowering. 

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

It could be splitting, but it's a solid spear,-I would think I could see some leaf lines in the emerging spike if it were a split. The top of the spike seems a little hollow/ squeezable like there would be something inside once it opens up. I will investigate further this afternoon.

Shoot, hopefully my palm isn't super stressed and flowering because of it. 

Stay tuned...

Oakley, California

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

I am not a big fan of clumpers but this one is on my bucket list.... Thanks for sharing your success. You have me Googling Oakley now.  Here is a web pic of the one at the Catamaran in San Diego.

image.jpeg.dd83e1b6db41520ac398ebf64c10adae.jpeg

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

Amazing! the emerging mystery spear in your photo doesn't look like a frond. Fronds on mine emerge pleated and begin to expand and open up very early on.  And is that some sort of papery sheath on it? 

Germinator- I've been out to The Catamaran to check that thing out- beautiful palm. The whole place is outstanding. The yhave a Sabal mauritiformis in the back that was really nice as well. It persuaded me to plant mine!

Josue, Yes, I will have to inspect better this afternoon. It's dried out material, whatever you want to call it. you can see towards the base of the palm where it is still green.

The growth on this emerging spear was so robust I just figured it was an emerging flower....

Stay tuned!

Oakley, California

Well, after double checking, it IS going to be a flower.  The spike was hollow, squeezable, and I could feel the future flowers about halfway down the spike. Interesting it's so early relative to others' experiences...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Oakley, California

Thanks Josue, we'll see what happens!

Oakley, California

Mine's blooming too, flowers open, though they're hard to see.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.