IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Monocot49

Been growing my favorite palm (C. Renda) indoors. I love seeing them put on new growth and how the new roots start to take on a red color as well. 

B0EE7539-651F-4AB0-8EBC-281A7194FDA1.jpeg

18448069-3A08-44F5-BB1B-7DE3C1E37E0B.jpeg

• Like 4

Welcome to PalmTalk. Kudos to you for your setup to grow this notoriously difficult palm indoors. Yours look great. You've done proper research in advance. They grow like weeds when they are happy.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I am using a small indoor greenhouse, hydroponic set-up in a 20 gal basin, with pure lava rock as the growing medium (I am paranoid about root rot even in this semi-aquatic palm because of my being a classic case of overwatering houseplants), 3 grow lights on for 12 hrs per day, a small computer fan for circulation throughout, a 3 gallon per minute aquarium pump that circulates the water through the pots for 15 min at a time 4 times per day, hydroponic-compatible fertilizer and Superthrive whenever I change the water (once per month) and a small aquarium air pump for oxygenation. I brought the palms back from Hawaii during a vacation this spring. The palms went through a bit of transplant shock but are finally starting to put on new growth... I have them in my hot garage for the summer. Fingers crossed! 

IMG_8195.jpeg

IMG_8196.jpeg

IMG_8197.jpeg

IMG_8199.jpeg

IMG_8200.jpeg

IMG_8201.jpeg

IMG_8202.jpeg

IMG_8204.jpeg

IMG_8206.jpeg

Edited by Monocot49
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Welcome to PalmTalk. Kudos to you for your setup to grow this notoriously difficult palm indoors. Yours look great. You've done proper research in advance. They grow like weeds when they are happy.

Thanks PalmatierMeg, ya I have had the dream of growing them for years; failed miserably with a few seedlings when I was in high school. This time I decided I wasn't going to mess around this time. 

Does anyone know what causes them to turn red - like what environmental conditions help them become more red? 

Edited by Monocot49

18 hours ago, Monocot49 said:

Does anyone know what causes them to turn red - like what environmental conditions help them become more red? 

I believe that comes with maturity / age.  Yours are probably a bit too young still.  You'll notice that the oldest / fattest trunks will begin to turn red in time.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

I believe that comes with maturity / age.  Yours are probably a bit too young still.  You'll notice that the oldest / fattest trunks will begin to turn red in time.  

Gotcha, DCA_Palm_Fan, that makes sense. Do you guys think it is OK I am using regular strength fertilizer (I.e. not 1/2 strength)? Could that be something that causes brown leaf tips? 

I was also worried something had happened because the temperature inside my Penske moving truck from CA to KY this summer got down to low 50s overnight while driving through Wyoming. Luckily they were fine. 

19 hours ago, Monocot49 said:

Gotcha, DCA_Palm_Fan, that makes sense. Do you guys think it is OK I am using regular strength fertilizer (I.e. not 1/2 strength)? Could that be something that causes brown leaf tips? 

Really not sure. I have no experience with these palms.  I'd love to have one, but from the few ppl in my area here in zone 10A that have them i hear mixed results.  For some they do fine, and for others they don't.  They are NOT "easy" palms at all from what I understand and require LOADS of water.  I'm imagining they are even bigger water hogs than Cat Palms.  I have to water those things daily if not more to keep them happy.   When I say water, i mean DRENCH / FLOOD them.