IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Archontophoenix alexandrae

Peachs

Hello.

I have an indoor, well-lit area with a height of 5 meters.

I had thought of putting a palm tree of this species in a pot, possibly because of its height it would live for many years to reach the ceiling but ... Does this species live well in a pot and indoors without direct sunlight?

Thanks.

On 8/1/2021 at 1:52 PM, Peachs said:

Hello.

I have an indoor, well-lit area with a height of 5 meters.

I had thought of putting a palm tree of this species in a pot, possibly because of its height it would live for many years to reach the ceiling but ... Does this species live well in a pot and indoors without direct sunlight?

Thanks.

As there hasn't been any replies, I will try and  answer.  Its difficult to comment on your particular situation in the absence of any pictures of where the palm would be positioned. But in general terms its true that these palms can be grown as indoor specimens in a large enough space which is very well lit, but their overall requirements and natural growth rates do not  make them suitable long term candidates in my opinion and they do much better in the ground where it is both warm enough to keep them as they are vert marginal when it comes to cold temperatures and frost and also receive natural humidity which is hard to replicate in the dry air conditions of the home .. They like a lot of heat and moisture along with abundant light and this is difficult to control indoors and additionally when constricted in a pot where drainage, over a long period of time is more difficult to maintain optimally with a quite fast growing palm such as this.

You could consider alternatives such as plenty of the Chamaedorea family, (seifrezii,metallica,  elegans, cataractarum),  Howea Fosteriana,  Phoenix Roebellinii,  Dypsis lutescens - as good examples. These are more suited to an indoor environment long term and take a while to fill the space provided for them. They can all also be placed outside in their pots during the summer out of the direct sun and this also combats pests that may come about when spending so much time indoors. Such time  outdoors for a 2/3 month period in the growing season will do them a lot of good, and also a chance to receive fresh rainwater at the same time as regular feeds.  It is also a good opportunity to refresh soil and ensure drainage remains good over time.

18 hours ago, petiole10 said:

As there hasn't been any replies, I will try and  answer.  Its difficult to comment on your particular situation in the absence of any pictures of where the palm would be positioned. But in general terms its true that these palms can be grown as indoor specimens in a large enough space which is very well lit, but their overall requirements and natural growth rates do not  make them suitable long term candidates in my opinion and they do much better in the ground where it is both warm enough to keep them as they are vert marginal when it comes to cold temperatures and frost and also receive natural humidity which is hard to replicate in the dry air conditions of the home .. They like a lot of heat and moisture along with abundant light and this is difficult to control indoors and additionally when constricted in a pot where drainage, over a long period of time is more difficult to maintain optimally with a quite fast growing palm such as this.

You could consider alternatives such as plenty of the Chamaedorea family, (seifrezii,metallica,  elegans, cataractarum),  Howea Fosteriana,  Phoenix Roebellinii,  Dypsis lutescens - as good examples. These are more suited to an indoor environment long term and take a while to fill the space provided for them. They can all also be placed outside in their pots during the summer out of the direct sun and this also combats pests that may come about when spending so much time indoors. Such time  outdoors for a 2/3 month period in the growing season will do them a lot of good, and also a chance to receive fresh rainwater at the same time as regular feeds.  It is also a good opportunity to refresh soil and ensure drainage remains good over time.

Thanks.

Finally, ptychosperma elegans.

It is the appearance that I am looking for, even if it does not serve me forever because of its growth.

6 hours ago, Peachs said:

Thanks.

Finally, ptychosperma elegans.

It is the appearance that I am looking for, even if it does not serve me forever because of its growth.

I believe @petiole10 was suggesting Chamaedorea elegans (Parlor Palm).  I have a few of these growing well indoors with limited light.  You might want to search for a fairly recent thread started by @cisco - she has a beautiful Archontophoenix alexandrae growing in a pot in Finland, but I believe it only resides indoors for the winter months.  I have a couple of A. alexandrae seedlings growing inside under grow lights but they aren't nearly as nice as Tuija's. 

Jon Sunder

• 2 weeks later...

Where are you? If you don't live in the tropics/warm subtropics Archo Alex or any other tropics won't work for you indoors. Try Rhapis excelsa, Howea forsteriana or one of the Chamaedoreas as recommended above.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Agreed.  It’s tough carrying my Adonidia and Wodyetia and H.Lagenicaulis through the winters here in Saskatchewan and I even have the benefit and luck to be able to keep them in a large atrium outside my office where the facility keeps many other tropicals.  Think like mall environment with a skylight but I have to be insane with the added humidity any way they can get it to combat mites. They are all in a very loose mix so only slightly less frequent water than outside in the summer.  I had my A.Merrilli at home from March till it went outside in June, I realized I can’t do that to it next year, cruel punishment! :lol2: