IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Anyone growing any Calyptrocalyx?

Paradise Found

@Paradise Found I am growing Calyptrocalix albertisianus from seed.  It has been growing fine indoors under LED grow lights (red, blue and green) 12 hours on/12 hours off all year.  Nice new red leaf that's not yet spectacular at this young stage.  This one is about 18 months from seed +/-.

IMG_20210706_124852_hdr.thumb.jpg.2c54a4a84679fdf0b8455037c4881830.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

Fusca thanks, that is one I was thinking about.  Love the idea of getting a new red leaf. 

Do you have to grow it in a higher temperature than the room indoors? Some of them don't like it to cool and low humidity is not good either I've read. 

Good job growing one from Seed! :greenthumb: yours looks great! 

1 hour ago, Paradise Found said:

Fusca thanks, that is one I was thinking about.  Love the idea of getting a new red leaf. 

Do you have to grow it in a higher temperature than the room indoors? Some of them don't like it to cool and low humidity is not good either I've read. 

Good job growing one from Seed! :greenthumb: yours looks great! 

Thanks!  My spare bedroom is warmer and more humid than the rest of the house because I close the A/C vent but probably not significant.  I actually keep this one in a clear tote box with cover so humidity stays high.  Kinda like a mini-greenhouse.  I do have to remove the cover every couple of days to prevent fungus.  I can't say that it is necessary but it's what I do.  Once it gets bigger and too tall for the tote box I guess I will see how it does with lower humidity.

Jon

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

Awesome! I look forward to your updates in the future.  Sure is a nice one for growing in summer, shady spot. 

Thanks for the pic and all, Jon

• 2 weeks later...

I just potted my Calyptrocalyx albertisianus on 8/02/21.  It gets a few hours of very light filtered sun in the morning.  It is sitting under a 30+ year old live oak.  Shade rest of the day.  I will plant the palm in the ground come March 2022.  If temp dips below 35F this winter I will bring into garage.  Last winter low was 37F.  IMG_3152.thumb.jpeg.8bcd7c591d5abb27f743bdf114b7f927.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 3 Milesfrom Gulf of Mexico said:

I just potted my Calyptrocalyx albertisianus on 8/02/21.  It gets a few hours of very light filtered sun in the morning.  It is sitting under a 30+ year old live oak.  Shade rest of the day.  I will plant the palm in the ground come March 2022.  If temp dips below 35F this winter I will bring into garage.  Last winter low was 37F. 

Nice - yours looks like it's a leaf or two ahead of mine.  I also plan to plant mine in the ground but will wait until it gets more size to it since I don't trust my renter with caring for small unestablished 10a palms!  Hope yours does well - did you grow it from seed?

Jon

Jon Sunder

No seed. I bought on-line from someone in Miami. Packaged real well.