IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Washingtonia Robusta Germination Progress

DreaminAboutPalms

Thought I'd share my progress in germinating robusta seeds. I am 40/40 in my first attempt germinating these.

They are on my balcony which faces north, but I have a grow light which is kept on them at all times

6/23: peeled 40 seeds and placed in a solo cup of water

-replace water daily

6/28: place seeds in a casserole dish with seed starter potting mix, make sure sand is damp but not soaked, cover with saran wrap and place on top of TV cable box

7/3: plant first 15 sprouts in old water bottles with seed starter potting mix and sand, left and a tray and bottom watered

7/8: plant 15 more sprouts

7/12: plant 10 more sprouts, largest ones already need to be repotted in something larger

Here is one week progress 7/5-7/13

unnamed.jpg

0.jpg

Edited by DreaminAboutPalms
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Good work! Washingtonias make great candidates for first germinations

• Like 3

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I also have successfully germinated 18 more robusta seeds without soaking them at all.

I just used a seed starter kit with 18 nursery pots and a tray, sowed the seeds 1/4" deep in seed starter mix and sand, filled tray up with water and placed Saran Wrap over the top and then just left them on my patio for a few weeks

On 7/17/2021 at 11:38 AM, DreaminAboutPalms said:

I also have successfully germinated 18 more robusta seeds without soaking them at all.

I just used a seed starter kit with 18 nursery pots and a tray, sowed the seeds 1/4" deep in seed starter mix and sand, filled tray up with water and placed Saran Wrap over the top and then just left them on my patio for a few weeks

If you’re certain these are pure robusta and not robusta/filifera hybrids, I will buy several from you if you will sell.  Please PM me.

On 7/19/2021 at 10:12 PM, ahosey01 said:

If you’re certain these are pure robusta and not robusta/filifera hybrids, I will buy several from you if you will sell.  Please PM me.

It is too early too tell but I highly doubt they are pure robusta. I bought them off eBay from a buyer in Central Texas close to me so I would assume Robusta leaning hybrid 

First pic: 7/22 @3:30AM

Second pic: 7/26 @7:30PM

Was gone for a few days and left the grow light on them the whole time and didn’t know what I’d come back to. Very pleasantly suprised

E9B08338-9650-4796-AB72-39451701EDB6.png

DB247838-0997-4DE4-BEB0-0B148BADE6E0.png

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Exactly 2 months since I peeled these seeds and threw them in a cup of water.

1: 4th leaf

23: 3rd leaf

34: 2nd leaf

Some are growing like weeds. Bottom pic is tallest one. I’ve noticed that they do not mind larger pots at all. I have probably 8 in 0.4 gallon pots and they have all been growing fast. Some issues with bugs and caterpillars but setting out some generic bug traps has helped 

B37F9930-20E3-4CEF-A56E-B32DE24ED6D0.jpeg

1B1C7C3A-C935-4B98-8380-6A8FEA0752FE.jpeg

Edited by DreaminAboutPalms
  • Like 1

Looking awesome! We started germinating at the same time pretty much, My filibusta have thick stems! are yours pure robusta they got skinny stems on them?

On 8/23/2021 at 9:03 PM, ZPalms said:

Looking awesome! We started germinating at the same time pretty much, My filibusta have thick stems! are yours pure robusta they got skinny stems on them?

Mixed bag. Some as you can see are more Filifera dominant and grow very upright and have all green trunk, some with varying degrees of purple and some all purple-robusta 

8F0BA4BE-58F7-4FEC-BF50-90C875BCEE57.jpeg

797FA22C-EF08-4D30-B0D3-E372929122CD.jpeg

9D56A6EE-EE9C-494E-8FCD-67D542D32781.jpeg

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DreaminAboutPalms said:

Mixed bag. Some as you can see are more Filifera dominant and grow very upright and have all green trunk, some with varying degrees of purple and some all purple-robusta 

8F0BA4BE-58F7-4FEC-BF50-90C875BCEE57.jpeg

797FA22C-EF08-4D30-B0D3-E372929122CD.jpeg

9D56A6EE-EE9C-494E-8FCD-67D542D32781.jpeg

Awesome thanks, That helps with identifying! A lot of mine have the purple coloring on them!